Random Discussion

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

I know @AbbeysDad was friends with him in other places and might have had his number. But he hasn't been around either.
You know the story with @AbbeysDad . He had a long time deal supplying Swordtails to a local pet shop and the owner retired and closed the shop and I think that kinda bummed him out . If I remember right he said he was going to concentrate more on his gardening and let the fish go a little bit to the back burner . Just goes to show you with both him and Byron how fortunes can change and our little routine daily lives can change in an instant . I wish them both well and hope all is well with them.

I seem to remember Byron saying he loitered on the forum but didnā€™t have the energy to reply often. If heā€™s still doing this, Iā€™m sure he will be uplifted to see how many of us still send positive thoughts towards him.

I've tried to find info on him. I like that guy, and all that he's brought to this forum. I miss the wisdom he shared.

@Myrkk - I hope you're right. I know at various points, Byron has been very ill, and I am very concerned about how he is.

I'm not the biggest Tyson fan but DO hope he manages to win this fight. He is a puncher and the last thing lost by such a fighter is his 'power punch'.

I hope this isn't too controversial but ages ago I researched the Tyson rape conviction and truly believe he should have never served time in the pen. All indications point to the fact that he didn't serve time for rape but instead served time due to refusing to play Don King's game.

Some cases such as this really bother me. I remember a case when I lived in Florida where a guy was convicted of raping three young ladies at the same time (and I use the word ladies loosely) and served 11 years in prison. One of the 'ladies' finally broke down and admitted that he never touched them and their charges were out of spite due to them approaching him and his refusal. Sure it bothers me that he lost 11 years of his life but what bothers me the most is that nothing at all happened to these women. In my opinion they should have had to spend the same time in prison if not double. Laws need to be changed for such cases. Even if the three women had been charged the most likely charges would be restricted to filing a false police report and purgery.

Ahhh, this post will have several YouTube links...

Anyone ever hear of 'Animusic'? If not and you like computer animations mixed with music you need to find them. In most cases you would never think the music was computer generated and the animations are pretty awesome. I actually own both of their present DVDs and they are awesome! Unlike the linked videos the DVDs allow for view perspective. The first DVD is strictly 'square screen' but the second does wide screen.

Here is my favorite, Harmonic Voltage:

Probably my second favorite is probably Resonant Chamber: Not sure why but I think @WhistlingBadger may really like this one as much as myself although some may think it sort of creepy but the music is awesome.

Most popular is probably Pipe Dreams:

Here is most of their stuff:

Ahhh, this post will have several YouTube links...

Anyone ever hear of 'Animusic'? If not and you like computer animations mixed with music you need to find them. In most cases you would never think the music was computer generated and the animations are pretty awesome. I actually own both of their present DVDs and they are awesome! Unlike the linked videos the DVDs allow for view perspective. The first DVD is strictly 'square screen' but the second does wide screen.

Here is my favorite, Harmonic Voltage:

Probably my second favorite is probably Resonant Chamber: Not sure why but I think @WhistlingBadger may really like this one as much as myself although some may think it sort of creepy but the music is awesome.

Most popular is probably Pipe Dreams:

Here is most of their stuff:
Yes, genius stuff. I still show Pipe Dream to My students about once a year and express the hope that one of them will grow up to a mechanical engineer and make this. My favorite was always "Aquaharp," as just a purely beautiful musical composition. It has an intensely soothing, "Things might not be OK right now, but they're going to be" vibe that I desperately needed at a certain point in my life. So it's pretty special to me, despite the silly name.

Yes, genius stuff. I still show Pipe Dream to My students about once a year and express the hope that one of them will grow up to a mechanical engineer and make this. My favorite was always "Aquaharp," as just a purely beautiful musical composition. It has an intensely soothing, "Things might not be OK right now, but they're going to be" vibe that I desperately needed at a certain point in my life. So it's pretty special to me, despite the silly name.
The name Aqua Harp I THINK comes from the water in which it is sitting. If you look closely it seems that the movement of the water is following the music. While I DO enjoy Aqua Harp, Harmonic Voltage is still my favorite, possibly due to my having played drums.

@WhistlingBadger Speaking of music, does your drummer play a set or just the hand drum shown in your flyer image? If a set or even just a snare I may have something for you. If he does not know the sticking for a Scottish roll, often called Swill Army Triplet, it has a unique sound that could possibly fit well with your music. While I played a set my true love was rudimental snare drum... Ya flams, parradiddles and all that. ;) The Scottish roll, or Swiss Army Triplet, was not added to the certified list of rudiments until 1984 but should have been much earlier. The possibilities of this rudiment are endless especially on a set between multiple drums. While not a rudiment at the time, 1972, it was prominent in a section of a snare solo I did in competition while a senior in high school. Videos will follow. The sticking is right hand flam, right hand, left hand, right hand flam, right hand, left hand... continue until your wrist breaks. ;) It is in triplet form. Of course it can also be done with oposite sticking. I'll include a video of the thing below along with the solo I did. Of course the drummer in the solo is not me but it will give an idea as to the stuff I did.

Basics of the roll. Picture this on a set with the left hand on a ride tom and right hand on a floor tom. When done up to speed it sounds like a broken roll if just on one drum.

Here is the solo I mentioned that I did in competition. My teacher/coach at the time told me that the judge closed the sheet music half way through and just sat back and listened. I was REALLY good at rudiment drumming. Actually I was dumb enough to pass up a scholarship to a music conservatory to join the Navy. LOL! Of course, if I had taken the scholarship, I would not have my military disability to help a lot with my retirement. ;) No regrets.

As a side note some would ask why, especially in rudimental drumming, the left hand stick is held across the fingers instead of in a fist like the right hand. I've never really researched this but believe that I have the answer. Way back when drums were used in marching and battle. With the drum being carried on a shoulder strap the left side of the drum rode higher than the right side. Holding the left stick across the fingers gives more clearance to allow for the higher side of the drum. Actually, with how the human forearm and wrist is built, holding the stick across the fingers gives better speed, true fact I played for a short bit with having both sticks across the fingers but won't work with playing a set. Take a high hat symbol. If you watch a drummer they will use their right hand while hitting the high hat even though the left hand is closer. It is just easier to reach with the right hand being a fist as the left hand, with the stick across the fingers,, is pointing away from that side of the set.

Lordy, this post brings back SO many memories such as playing a set with Robert junior Lockwood. His normal drummer broke a finger and could not play and some in the bar knew I used to play. Keep in mind that this man was a blues legend. Add to that the fact that his other guitarist was Glenn W. Schwartz] the other guitarist with Joe Walsh from the band James Gang. Then there was the sax player that could make you cry Add to that the fact that I hadn't held a drum stick in years. I was terrified but did it. After it was done David grabbed my by the shirt collar and told me something like I had a world of talent but lacked the 'love' for this music. Even though many people in the place told me I did great he was right, it wasn't the music I loved to play. If you don't know the name he was a forerunner in American Delta Blues and a mentor to BB King. Here is David JR way back in 1951.

The name Aqua Harp I THINK comes from the water in which it is sitting. If you look closely it seems that the movement of the water is following the music. While I DO enjoy Aqua Harp, Harmonic Voltage is still my favorite, possibly due to my having played drums.

@WhistlingBadger Speaking of music, does your drummer play a set or just the hand drum shown in your flyer image? If a set or even just a snare I may have something for you. If he does not know the sticking for a Scottish roll, often called Swill Army Triplet, it has a unique sound that could possibly fit well with your music. While I played a set my true love was rudimental snare drum... Ya flams, parradiddles and all that. ;) The Scottish roll, or Swiss Army Triplet, was not added to the certified list of rudiments until 1984 but should have been much earlier. The possibilities of this rudiment are endless especially on a set between multiple drums. While not a rudiment at the time, 1972, it was prominent in a section of a snare solo I did in competition while a senior in high school. Videos will follow. The sticking is right hand flam, right hand, left hand, right hand flam, right hand, left hand... continue until your wrist breaks. ;) It is in triplet form. Of course it can also be done with oposite sticking. I'll include a video of the thing below along with the solo I did. Of course the drummer in the solo is not me but it will give an idea as to the stuff I did.

Basics of the roll. Picture this on a set with the left hand on a ride tom and right hand on a floor tom. When done up to speed it sounds like a broken roll if just on one drum.

Here is the solo I mentioned that I did in competition. My teacher/coach at the time told me that the judge closed the sheet music half way through and just sat back and listened. I was REALLY good at rudiment drumming. Actually I was dumb enough to pass up a scholarship to a music conservatory to join the Navy. LOL! Of course, if I had taken the scholarship, I would not have my military disability to help a lot with my retirement. ;) No regrets.

As a side note some would ask why, especially in rudimental drumming, the left hand stick is held across the fingers instead of in a fist like the right hand. I've never really researched this but believe that I have the answer. Way back when drums were used in marching and battle. With the drum being carried on a shoulder strap the left side of the drum rode higher than the right side. Holding the left stick across the fingers gives more clearance to allow for the higher side of the drum. Actually, with how the human forearm and wrist is built, holding the stick across the fingers gives better speed, true fact I played for a short bit with having both sticks across the fingers but won't work with playing a set. Take a high hat symbol. If you watch a drummer they will use their right hand while hitting the high hat even though the left hand is closer. It is just easier to reach with the right hand being a fist as the left hand, with the stick across the fingers,, is pointing away from that side of the set.

Lordy, this post brings back SO many memories such as playing a set with Robert junior Lockwood. His normal drummer broke a finger and could not play and some in the bar knew I used to play. Keep in mind that this man was a blues legend. Add to that the fact that his other guitarist was Glenn W. Schwartz] the other guitarist with Joe Walsh from the band James Gang. Then there was the sax player that could make you cry Add to that the fact that I hadn't held a drum stick in years. I was terrified but did it. After it was done David grabbed my by the shirt collar and told me something like I had a world of talent but lacked the 'love' for this music. Even though many people in the place told me I did great he was right, it wasn't the music I loved to play. If you don't know the name he was a forerunner in American Delta Blues and a mentor to BB King. Here is David JR way back in 1951.
All cool. Feike, our drummer, mostly plays Cajon in our band, so not a ton of rudimentary stuff going on. (He held a bodhran for the photo, but I don't think he played it in any of our gigs)

That solo is extremely cool. You're right about the "traditional grip." I used to play field snare with the local pipe band, and I'd march with my drum hanging from a home-made sling, sort of bounding off my right hip (I'm left-handed and usually lead left on the snare). It was pretty much impossible to play with a matched grip. Now that center carriers are more common than harnesses, most younger marching drummers use the matched grip. I know very little about trip playing, so I'll defer to the experts on the best grip for that one. :)

Itā€™s a bit early butā€¦ I must discuss potential Halloween customs for my dogs.

So I have three wonderful ladies (Ellie, Yuki, Kaia)

IMG_1040.jpeg

And quite a few options

I could do a group theme:
1711309798955.jpeg

Or I could do individual outfits so like

For ellie:
IMG_1185.jpeg

Yuki:
IMG_1186.jpeg

IMG_1187.png

And Kaia:
IMG_1189.png