Pregnant Silver Mollie

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

umlaut31

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey, Ijust bought 3 mollies today (1 male dalmation, 2 female silvers) and Aphrodite, my Pregnant female is massive! The guy in the shop said she'd pregant for ages, and so on his advice and doing research I put her in a breding trap just now.

The thing is, I don't really know if she is square yet, and i can't see the white spot cos she is silver! Wha do you think i should do? Do you need pictures?

This is my first livebearer experience, so I'm trying to get it all perfect! haha :good:

Cheers!

Hiya

Its probably best to try and post some pics from the side top and back of the fish so we can have a look at them. I know what you mean about not being able to tell as they are silver. I've missed the last 2 births of my silver mollies (balloon).

Cindy :)

okay dokey - i know they're not very good, but here ya go..

DSC02347.jpg

DSC02357.jpg

DSC02348.jpg

sorry about the quality - Aphrodite is very hard to photgraph! haha :good:

erm i don't think she's a baloon molly - however I don't really know the difference, they were just labelled silver mollies in my LFS.. :S

The reason I think she may be a balloon molly is her spine doesn't look straight in the pics. From what I can see it looks to hump up above her head just like my balloon molly. I'm sure Oldman or Laurafrog will be along in a mo to clarify.

yeah thats point - on closer inspection it is slightly different to my other silver female who isn't pregnant - does this mean that she isn't pregnant then?

No she still looks pretty big and quite square on the bottom. I'd have no clue how pregnant though I'm afraid. I can't quite tell from the 'top view' pic. Does she look like she has swallowed a marble?

My balloon looked fractionally bigger than this (below) when she popped (I missed the birth I might add!)

055.jpg

062.jpg

058.jpg

Here's a pic of my 'normal' molly for comparison. She was also a week away from labour at the time of pic. (missed that one too but 4 fry survived the greedy fish in my tank!!)

041.jpg

Hope this helps.

Cheers for the help!

I don't think she is a balloon molly, just ridiculously pregnant! haha!

She's a lot bigger than that pic, I would say almost 2 or 3 times plumper than my normal silver molly - and yeah the marble thing is exactly right, although its almost like a stretched marble (lengthways). She really isn't moving much - darting into her plants sometimes, but just stays afloat slowly moving her fins. She also seems to swim at angles and sometimes vertical - is this normal?

Haha hope so!

I've got a camera set up, I'm on tender hooks - adn i'm even putting off revision cos I don't want to miss it! ^_^

when she does drop make sure you mark the date down because she will probably have babies about every 6 weeks after that.

She's now not moving that much, just really quickly moving her fins - is that good?

Sorry - it's like a whole pregnancy diary isn't it! :blush:

I'm just soo excited! :hyper: I only set the tank up 2 weeks ago, and now I'm going to have fry!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast
  • Essjay

Members online

Back