Powerhead suggestions for a 20 gallon long

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Agree. Bubbles rising up the tube and out at the water surface is what you want.

Do you have any valve control on your air pump? Meaning, can you increase and decrease the air flow so the bubbles increase or decrease accordingly? I'm asking because an air pump should be allowed to work unhindered. If there is no control knob on the air pump (larger ones have this, smaller usually do not) it needs to be putting out the maximum air flow. If you have a valve at some point along the air tubing from the pump to the sponge filter, controlling the air to this particular sponge filter, and this valve is not open full, the air is being restricted. In this case, a "bleeder" valve is a good idea so the pump can put out the full air stream even though not all of it is going to the filter. Having a second (or more) filters connected with individual vales negates this need in most cases as the air will be at maximum from the pump. If the pump has its own air adjustment knob/control on the pump, this doesn't matter.

Agree. Bubbles rising up the tube and out at the water surface is what you want.

Do you have any valve control on your air pump? Meaning, can you increase and decrease the air flow so the bubbles increase or decrease accordingly? I'm asking because an air pump should be allowed to work unhindered. If there is no control knob on the air pump (larger ones have this, smaller usually do not) it needs to be putting out the maximum air flow. If you have a valve at some point along the air tubing from the pump to the sponge filter, controlling the air to this particular sponge filter, and this valve is not open full, the air is being restricted. In this case, a "bleeder" valve is a good idea so the pump can put out the full air stream even though not all of it is going to the filter. Having a second (or more) filters connected with individual vales negates this need in most cases as the air will be at maximum from the pump. If the pump has its own air adjustment knob/control on the pump, this doesn't matter.
Thanks! It does not have a control knob. I just have it attached directly to the filter. The filter is making really loud bubbling noises. Is this normal? I also have half of the filter output tube above the water. This is on the stronger pump. On the weaker pump, the bubbling isn't so loud. They are both small pumps. The stronger one is a tetra whisper and the weaker one is one of those small instant-pumps you stick on the side of the tank for airstones.

Last edited:
Thanks! It does not have a control knob. I just have it attached directly to the filter. The filter is making really loud bubbling noises. Is this normal? I also have half of the filter output tube above the water. This is on the stronger pump. On the weaker pump, the bubbling isn't so loud. They are both small pumps. The stronger one is a tetra whisper and the weaker one is one of those small instant-pumps you stick on the side of the tank for airstones.

Not knowing what the pumps may be rated for (most say up to "x" gallon/liter tank), the smaller pump seems a better choice here. You don't need much air for efficient filtration with these dual sponges.

I would suggest you to go for Tetra Whisper Air Pump (Non-UL) since I've been using this for a while and came to know that it is among the best around. It is designed to better water aeration by rendering oxygen even to deep waters. This guarantees your fish stays happy and healthy.

Furthermore, the pumps is not solely inexpensive but it offers great functionality as well. It has a unique dome shape with a suspended motor system. available would be an absolutely necessary and good tool you ought to include on your fish tank.

I'd truly appreciate if you could kindly please share your opinion. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to make a comment - that link contains a very dangerous error.

"The pump must be installed inside the fish tank" :eek: :shout:

Air pumps should NEVER be installed inside an tank

Just to make a comment - that link contains a very dangerous error.

"The pump must be installed inside the fish tank" :eek: :shout:

Air pumps should NEVER be installed inside an tank

Link removed.

Thank you :)
I would hate for anyone to read what it said, and do that.

I would suggest you to go for Tetra Whisper Air Pump (Non-UL) since I've been using this for a while and came to know that it is among the best around. It is designed to better water aeration by rendering oxygen even to deep waters. This guarantees your fish stays happy and healthy.

Furthermore, the pumps is not solely inexpensive but it offers great functionality as well. It has a unique dome shape with a suspended motor system. available would be an absolutely necessary and good tool you ought to include on your fish tank.

I'd truly appreciate if you could kindly please share your opinion. :)
Thanks! I think I have that one. It works well when I set it up, however I can hear the splashing from the filter output from down the hall. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks! I think I have that one. It works well when I set it up, however I can hear the splashing from the filter output from down the hall. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

This is probably because there is more air than necessary. Another reason could be the placement of the return; if below the surface it can be more obvious. I try to get my return at the surface so the air bubbles exiting the return disperse horizontally across the water.

If you're looking for a new pump at some point, I have found the fusion brand extremely quiet (unbelievably compared to my Hagen Elite) and reliable. They are also incredibly inexpensive, about 1/3 the cost of a similarly sized pump such as the Whisper or Hagen.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back