Powerhead suggestions for a 20 gallon long

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tbetta

Reaction score
Correction: I meant to say filter. I think I had my terminology mixed up. I am fishless cycling my 20 gallon long, and have realized that the 130 gph flow rate on my filter is far from adequate. I was wondering what type of filter you would recommend? It is a freshwater tank. I'm more than happy to get whichever filter is necessary.

Last edited:
What filter do you have now? What sort of fish are you intending to keep? Will the tank be very heavily planted?

Depending on the answers to those things, you might not need a new filter at all. A high turnover rate isn't always a good thing.

What filter do you have now? What sort of fish are you intending to keep? Will the tank be very heavily planted?

Depending on the answers to those things, you might not need a new filter at all. A high turnover rate isn't always a good thing.

The filter is the aqueon quietflow 20 E internal power filter. I plan on keeping a betta and neon tetras (20 gallon long tank) and will rehouse the betta in a cycled backup tank if need be. The 20 gallon long won't be too heavily planted, perhaps a large amazon sword for the center and maybe some surface plants for the betta. However I'm willing to change the plant setup if people have other suggestions.

I use dual sponge filters on all my smaller tanks, 40 gallons and smaller. A sponge is certainly more than adequate for the fish mentioned. Keep in mind you could have no filter at all and they would be happy, so minimal will suffice.

I would not attempt a Betta with neons. I had this combo many years ago and quickly learned Betta can and will eat neons. The bright colours get them riled. Betta are not community fish, they are always best alone in a small tank, 5 gallon or 10 gallon. I know some will say they have success, but this often does not last and it is best not to risk fish just to prove it wrong.

Byron.

I use dual sponge filters on all my smaller tanks, 40 gallons and smaller. A sponge is certainly more than adequate for the fish mentioned. Keep in mind you could have no filter at all and they would be happy, so minimal will suffice.

I would not attempt a Betta with neons. I had this combo many years ago and quickly learned Betta can and will eat neons. The bright colours get them riled. Betta are not community fish, they are always best alone in a small tank, 5 gallon or 10 gallon. I know some will say they have success, but this often does not last and it is best not to risk fish just to prove it wrong.

Byron.
Thanks! Would you mind telling me the name of the sponge filter?

Thanks! Would you mind telling me the name of the sponge filter?

I used to use the Hagen Elite. They came in single sponge (good for 10 gallon and 5 gallon) and dual sponge (I have one of these in my 20g, 29g, 40g tanks). I believe these are no longer available; last year I couldn't find them anywhere locally or online, so I ordered a couple of less expensive but identically-designed filters from Amazon, and after a year they are doing the same good job as the Hagen. The sponges seem to be a bit better made too, heavier so they may last years. I'll attach some photos of the Hagen and the one I got last year. They attach to a small air pump with tubing. I like this style because in a back corner they take up little space, and a chunk of standing wood or plant in front of them hides them. The angle of the sponges is adjustable.

If there are two or more tanks in the same area, you can use a larger air pump and have one of these filters in each tank. This is very economical (electricity), very easy to rinse under the tap at each water change, and extremely good mechanical and biological filtration. My sponge filter tanks are always crystal clear.

Attachments

• elitedouble.jpg
    elitedouble.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Hagen Elite sponge filters.jpg
    Hagen Elite sponge filters.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 73
  • sponge filter.jpg
    sponge filter.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 114
I used to use the Hagen Elite. They came in single sponge (good for 10 gallon and 5 gallon) and dual sponge (I have one of these in my 20g, 29g, 40g tanks). I believe these are no longer available; last year I couldn't find them anywhere locally or online, so I ordered a couple of less expensive but identically-designed filters from Amazon, and after a year they are doing the same good job as the Hagen. The sponges seem to be a bit better made too, heavier so they may last years. I'll attach some photos of the Hagen and the one I got last year. They attach to a small air pump with tubing. I like this style because in a back corner they take up little space, and a chunk of standing wood or plant in front of them hides them. The angle of the sponges is adjustable.

If there are two or more tanks in the same area, you can use a larger air pump and have one of these filters in each tank. This is very economical (electricity), very easy to rinse under the tap at each water change, and extremely good mechanical and biological filtration. My sponge filter tanks are always crystal clear.
Thank you for all the information. Will my tank need just one? Also, can I use it as the sole method of filtration?

Thank you for all the information. Will my tank need just one? Also, can I use it as the sole method of filtration?

On tanks above 10g (yours here is a 20g long) I would use the dual sponge filter, one of them with the two sponges. And this will be very adequate filtration with plants and forest fish. Sponge filters are excellent mechanical filtration (removing the microscopic particulate matter in the water) and good biological filtration.

Pictures always illustrate better than words, so here are a couple of my tanks that each have one of the dual sponge filters in one of the back corners. The first is a former 29g with the dual sponge in the left rear corner behind that chunk of wood. This is a 30-inch tank, same length as your 20g long, just taller, but it gives a good habitat for forest fish. The second photo is my present 40g with the same fish, the dual sponge is in the right rear corner.

Attachments

• 29g Mar 2-16.JPG
    29g Mar 2-16.JPG
    702 KB · Views: 107
  • 40g Aug 11-17.JPG
    40g Aug 11-17.JPG
    649.6 KB · Views: 65
On tanks above 10g (yours here is a 20g long) I would use the dual sponge filter, one of them with the two sponges. And this will be very adequate filtration with plants and forest fish. Sponge filters are excellent mechanical filtration (removing the microscopic particulate matter in the water) and good biological filtration.

Pictures always illustrate better than words, so here are a couple of my tanks that each have one of the dual sponge filters in one of the back corners. The first is a former 29g with the dual sponge in the left rear corner behind that chunk of wood. This is a 30-inch tank, same length as your 20g long, just taller, but it gives a good habitat for forest fish. The second photo is my present 40g with the same fish, the dual sponge is in the right rear corner.
Those are cool tanks. Thank you I went ahead and purchased the dual sponge filter.

I had a double sponge filter on my old tank and created a cool little mod for it, I stuck a plastic tube in the filter outlet, now the filter picks up water on one side of the tank and returns it to the other side.

Last edited:
Nice!!! I also have a cycled 100 gph biowheel. Would that be of any use?

Nice!!! I also have a cycled 100 gph biowheel. Would that be of any use?

Not as a permanent filter for this tank, no; go with the dual sponge when you get it.

Does this mean it's working? I have stronger air pumps too.

Attachments

• IMG_0856.JPG
    IMG_0856.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 77

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back