Power Head Or Circulation Pump?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RyanV

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am wanting more movement in my tanks to get areas that have little to no circulation and the spots where algae seems to be forming. My question is what the difference between these two are, and what one's better for a freshwater setup. I commonly see circulation pumps used more often in reef tanks, but I don't know why or what ones best for a freshwater tank.

Pictures of the two:

Power head-
462.jpg

Circulation pump-
461.jpg

Basically one is a jet of water whereas the circulation pump creates more of a wave effect rather than direct flow.... circulation pumps IMO are far better from gaining all over flow, where powerheads are better for dedicated areas and or for adding to the top of a sponge filter tube to aid filtration.

Me personally would always opt for the circulation pumps for general flow increases.

your money would be better spent on more or better filteration,

your filters should be moving the water enough

Basically one is a jet of water whereas the circulation pump creates more of a wave effect rather than direct flow.... circulation pumps IMO are far better from gaining all over flow, where powerheads are better for dedicated areas and or for adding to the top of a sponge filter tube to aid filtration.

Me personally would always opt for the circulation pumps for general flow increases.
+1 this is a big issue in reef tanks as flow is vital for corals. Generally a combination is used in larger tanks. I have two recirculating pumps (they are in the sump and return through nozzles) and a Vortech MP-40 in the display. They do different things for me. So I guess the best way to answer your questions is to ask one...what's in the tank?

Well I am particularly looking for one for my 30 gallon tank, so I will start there. On it I have a penguin 200 hob filter, rated for 50 gallon tank. The reason I am looking for more filtration is the water only seems to only circulate on the top and is allowing debris and algae to sit on the bottom where there is no water movement. I was thinking to solve this by one of the above power heads and placing it on the other side of the filter (hitting the dead stops) and aiming towards the filter intake. What would you recommend for this situation?

For that I would use a power head and point it at the back glass. Flow is a pretty individual thing though, I think we all have a certain way we like to do it in order to get it how our livestock and tanks need it.

Just be aware when positioning, even though you will have the powerhead or circulation pump pointing at the dead spot, it will still act as though its crashing into an existing flow (from a different filter).... probably causing a dead spot elsewhere.

From the planted tank point of view (not the marine side as i have very limited experience).... the best method is one flow from a bigger output...basically using a higher flow from say, an external filter with a full length spraybar pointing from top back, down to the bottom front.... this allows the flow to go forward, bounce into the front pane of glass, down that glass then across the bottom of the tank to the rear pane of glass and then back up (hope that made sense lol)... it limits the crash effect of various flow destinations.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back