pond cleaning

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

They do make it look more natural etc but I just want a big plain pond with big fish like an albino sturgeon :D

the main word being big :lol: dont we all ,watched the matsubas feeding today there great ,and the ghost koi seem to be growing well,when i transfer em to the new pond ill take some snaps

that Ghost koi that had the damaged pectoral fin dies today :( I haven't really been able to see the fish as the waters sooo green.

paul_v_biker said:
that Ghost koi that had the damaged pectoral fin dies today :( I haven't really been able to see the fish as the waters sooo green.
aw paul I'm sorry your fish died :/

You should try to get a uv filter they really do clear your pond they are worth the money.

We have to clean our sponge every couple of days,do you have your pump inside a big sponge?

i'm cleaning the sponges weekly

im cleaning mine daily still no visual results though, uv filter should be here next week and fingers crossed the new pond will stay clear

sorry to hear about the fish

uv filter shoulda put it down as a birthday pressie :hey:

oki dokey.....

Wellll......

The ponds are still green aswell as my tank now :angry:

There's barley straw in them all and Mum really don't wanna buy UV!!

The water fall is over grown with some yellow flowered plant.

and urm thats about it I think

I been busy sorting my PC out lately

oh and i'm planing on releasing my golden rudd soon, in the next few weeks or so I reakon.

I've been spending some time on garden web recently and they have somethings to say about green water. Most of which I can't repeat because of the languadge filters here :lol:.

I barley straw only works in 25% of ponds tested in and thats pretty close to the clear up rate for ponds w/o barle straw. Although numerouse studies have been conducted on the matter barley straw has neer been proven to be anything more than BS.

Adding H2O2 (3% by volume) at ~ 1 pint per 500gallons once weekly seems to work well.

Now for what I have to say.

If you have no small fish to eat them or a pond that is not highly stocked Daphnia eat algea as part of there diet (a large part too) If you get a few bags they will help clan it up for you.

No mechanical sponge will clear up your problem even the finest filter material only takes out particles 50 microns or smaller and many of the phtoplancton are around 15 microns also cleaning the sponges regularly will reduce the effeciveness the slime that builds up on the fibers is somewhat stickey and will nab the algea to a very small degree cleaning the sponges reduces the film and opens up large pores increaseing filter flow but not decreaseing pea soupitude.

Tannins should aid in reduceing algea but will make it difficult to see the fish. (activated carbon cleans it right out though) Oak and Beech chips are especially high in tannins and they can be purchased in bottled form (They sold pure oak tannins in a leather shop here but they went out of bussiness).

And finally

Feet are gross :sick:

Yeh, we bought the straw as a cheap option!!.

I really can't be bothered to start missing aorund with chemical more, when I had to treat the pond with bacterial treatment I'm pretty sure thats when the the green water started.

The filters remocing quite a bit as when i lcean it the water comes out a manky green colour really concentrated, but it's har to keep up with the demand!!

Well if I relase my rudd which I really want to do the daphnia will probs get snapped up really quickly unless I put them in the bigger pond which has the pump, and there's mainly only 34 goldfish in there, although some are smaller there growing fast, not too surewhere to get them from though.

Oh and lastly feet rock :p

not too surewhere to get them from though
ask at your lfs if they aint got them they should be able to order them ,failing that leave a bucket of water out for a few mnth they just seem to appear from nowhere

theres always the pottasium option,or try a sample of water and some hydrogen peroxide 3% solution ,

you could sell pics of your feet ,interested will take 2 doz :sick: :whistle: then use the money to buy a UV

Oh rite.... probable got some in a bucket with oxygenating weed in then as mum wanted it to grow a bit without the fish taking a snack.

perfer not to be messing about with chemicals, unles they make an interesting explosion:D

ok whats your offer? any particular positions you want? :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back