pond cleaning

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Paul_MTS

MAD
Reaction score
To start off on a good note the sarasa comet is on the mend, whejn i transfered it to the holding tank i can clearly see it's alot less swolen.

the pond water is green and has greeen floaty bits in, i think it might of been from over dosing with the bacteria treament, i treated for 500 gallons and dad thinks we have more like 300/400 gallons. how can i correct this, how much of the water when i re fill can i replace with rain water or even tap water instead of the manky pond water.

and lastly one of the ghost koi has a injury/deasease on one of it's pectoral fins.
see pics---

http://uk.f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/pau...rc=bc%26.view=l

also how old do goldfish need to be to breed, some of the larger babies i released look pretty podgy!!

Poor thing!!! :no:
Oh Paul, that doesn't look good--looks like it ripped or tore it's fin from the main ray/bone/whatever it is! I don't know if that can be healed or not. Any idea on how the injury occurred? If you have a koi vet near you or your koi club knows of one, I think this would be the time to take it in to see if anything could be done. Good luck! Please keep us posted...

i don't know of any koi clubs, i know there's a few keepers aorund though.

poor bugger, hopefully as it's young it may grow back :/ i noticed the flappy bit was the front boney bit!!

scrubbed the bottom pond now so no more blanket weed growing on the sides, killed me back though!!

just had a look at your pics .is there anything in the pond the fish could be rubbing against ?you dont seem to be having much luck with injurys your pond sounds like the NUFC first team line up :grr: hope it sorts itself soon

The Koi fins looks pretty bad but it should heal as long as it dosen't get infected.

The green floating stuff sounds like the infamous blue/green algae which isn't good. Is it light green with tiny bubbles?

You will need a Male goldfish and a Female goldfish of at least 3 years of age, anything younger than that they may not breed and might cause problems for the female goldfish. (egg bound).

ah ha Mums plant tubs in the ponds, they must be attacking the fish, i'll get here to get those black baskets for them instead. She's been using icecream tubs which have probable broken up :angry:

as it's a concrete pond that wouldn't make a difference would it? there are bricks in there to prop up plants :rolleyes:

it doesn't have tiny bubbles in it but it's a light...ish green and if you try to cup it with your hand it just breaks up. I can seem to net it with a really fine net I made out of window netting.

I didn't think they could breed that young, they must be eating well, the one that turned orange in my tank firts is coming close to the smaller size goldfish in there. Some of the babies I released are definately fantails :)

oh and what is the biggest water change i can do to try and be rid of the green ness!!?? and with rain or tap water?

finished the top pond now and saved some of the insects to go back in.

also found this big leech :blink: are they dangerous to the fish?

paul_v_biker said:
finished the top pond now and saved some of the insects to go back in.

also found this big leech :blink: are they dangerous to the fish?
Can be if they can latch on. I found a large fat one on a Koi in a old holding pool once, not nice little critters. :grr:

ah I'll leave him out for sure then.

everything back in it's place now.

I have 62 fish in the both ponds.

Bottom Pond-
34 Goldfish
2 Grass Carp
2 Golden Tench
2 Green Tench

Top Pond
3 Koi- Shusui, Shiro Utsuri and aka Matsuba Ogon
3 Ghost Koi
4 Sarasa Comets
3 Rudd
4 Golden Orfe
1 albino Grass carp
1 Green Tench
2 Golden Tench
1 Random Carp???

Oh and I decided to wait around the ponds as the netting was off and last year after I had re-released the fish the over matsuba ogon jumped out. so was waiting aorund and low and behold out it goes, Got it back in nice and safely a nd then had to wait by the ponds for another 30 mins or so until my parents came back so my Dad could put the lady back up and then get the netting over.

They all seemed really happy, they were all coming up to the top in both ponds and the goldfosh in the bottom were swimming aorund the water falls and in the top pond they kept on swimming round by the top of the water fall and looked like they were getting ready for the journey down.

The sarasa has healed now, the only sign is a colourless scale.

On a bad note that ghost koi with the damaged pectoral fin has completly lost one of it's anal fins :/

ponds look pretty good again, just need the water to run through the filter for a few days which will hopefully clear the water up. I left alot of the worms in the filter but gave the pond fish a good meal out of them while they were in the holding tank and took another load for my tank :)

will wait for mum to replace the plants into clay pots before they go back in.

Sounds like the Ghost Koi may have developed Fin Rot?

i thought of that at first but there wasn't any sign of fungus etc on the edges.

I'll keep an eye on it, when i put it back in it was swimming around just fine.

Ponds water has cleared up now, top is crystal clear but i can't tell with the bottom the sun was so bright!!.

ah ha, we can't get any minnows as no one has them, and cray fish I don't have a clue about!!

Waters on the mend now, I think the filter might of been overloaded so wasn't doing it's job, now thats cleaned.

cheers

It's looking better Paul! I love ponds - if I could, I'd have one but how deep would it have to be to survive 50 below zero and what would keep an air hole in it? :lol:

ALASKA

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back