Please Help - Not So Emergency Now

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Katchan

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have a 150L tank. I did a water change on Saturday & yesturday its starts to get cloudy (probably similar/same to the other post herabouts) problem is it got fishies in it. I may of done the wrong thing today by doing a 50% water change (some of the fish were showing distress) and now its even worse and now most of the fish are at the top and showing distress. What to do?

Katchan

PS all the shops are closed and I'm just about broke anyways

Unless there is something in the water it shouldn't have made the fish worse. Did you add dechlorinator?

How long has the tank been up and running with fish? Have you checked your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate lately? It may be a bacterial bloom you are seeing.

Answer these questions then I will try and help :thumbs:

Saturday I did a standard 25% change gravel vac and rinsed the filter sponge (may or may not make a difference but I forgot to rinse the sponge in the water i syphoned off so i did it in the syphoned water from my other tank) Allways use declorinator ( :wub: I know its naughty but I dont currently have a usable test kit for nitrogen cycle - Just a poor student :( ) it s been up 5 weeks, gradually adding fish since then (started cycling with guppies), PH levels are ok.

Its a whiteish cloudyness

Katchan

HELP, my fishies are getting really bad, just swimming back and forth at top, not looking great, how bad would it be to move them to the smaller tank in my siggy (VERY over crowded I know)

Or other suggestion please :( :sad: :(

It is bacterial bloom, BUT I've never heard of fish having trouble with a bacterial bloom...its just a visual problem that will correct itself in time.

I'm not sure about your fish but I would venture to say some level of ammonia or nitrite just isn't right (however doing that huge 50% water change should not have made them worse in that case) UNLESS the temperature change was too much for the already stressed out fish...

Can you take a water sample to the LFS and have them test it for you so that you don't have to spend your money right now? Have them test ammonia, nitrite and nitrate...just to see and so you know what you're dealing with...try to keep that temp. constant.

I hope they hang in there until you figure out what the problem is...And let us know when your levels when you get them...

GOOD LUCK!

You could try adding an airstone in there.

I've had bacterial blooms causing cloudy water before, generally just as the tank cycles and the airstone gave the fish more oxygen plus also helped to dispel the cloudiness much faster.

Lost my White Swordtail female and my widdle salmontail so Have been very naughty moved all fish to small tank, (looks bad :sad: ). Hope I dont lose anymore, but all fish from 40Gallon seem fine, my red tail is a nice velvet black again not almost white from stress. Will take water sample to LFS for analysis as soon as i can, otherwise leaving filter on might fix it, will post test results if wanted

Katchan

Well although its risky to have moved them all like that, atleast some of the fish are looking better for now...I would just be worried about disease spread and overloading the tank you've just put them in...

I hope they all start to de-stress and this buys you some time on figuring out what the problem is...

Hope it works out. ;)

I dont think there's any disease, and as for risk? I think if I hadnt of moved them across all the anabatids (gouramis and bettas) would of been history by morning, this way I might loose another 1 or 2 from the large tank and maybe a guppy or 7 (well planted tank so I hope not) as angel food, the smaller of my two angels can be aggressive with smaller fish)

Katchan

I agree...I think a lot time the best thing to do it go with your instinct. I hope everything goes okay.

I think that by doing a 25% water change and a gravel vac and also cleaning the filter in a tank that's only 5 weeks old, you've caused a mini cycle and that's what stressing out the fish. It's not advisable to do all that cleaning all at once. Believe it or not, but it is possible to over clean a tank. Is the tank empty now?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back