Please help fix Sweettart

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sweettartthebetta

Reaction score
Sweettart is my daughter's betta. We have had him since mid summer. He is our second betta, however, though he lived for what seemed like 50,000 year Data the betta died many years ago. Assuming things may have improved in the interceding years we checked in with the local petshop for setup and were good to go before he moved into his tank. The first month seemed fine- he had settled in, would "interact" with us when we were at the tank, etc. We figured we could start to add live plants (data had a tank of plants and he lived forever, so we figured sweettart would like this too). Shortly thereafter Sweettart developed a white lump on his side and I headed off to the shop for meds. We removed the carbon filter and treated the water with the suggested melafix. We followed the instructions precisely, including extended dosing. While the lump did not grow larger (it is a perfect rectangle) it also did not go away. We stopped treatment for a week and returned to the shop for another suggestion. In the week he was not medicated another small white dot appeared on the same side. We were sold some broad based it treats everything tab and tried again. The small dot went away, put the large white rectangle remained. At this point I removed all the gravel and tossed it along with the plants. I scrubbed everything possible, put in new gravel, a small soft/rounded edge jar decoration (he likes to "hide" in things) and purchased a heating element (data had always had one but the pet shop this time had said no when we did the setup). We treated with pimafix that the pet shop had suggested- again following the directions and extending treatment.

With each treatment while the rectangle did not go away it did not grow- and when treatment is stop the rectangle gets larger and ancillary dots appear (always in the same exact spots). The dots always go away with treatment. The last time I went to the shop I was told it is an ingrown scale, like an ingrown hair in a human, and is no issue. This does not seem at all correct. I live in a rather rural area so in person resources are few, so I have found this forum.

What can we do to cure sweettart? He is eating well. He swims about happily and still interacts with us when we are at the tank. Please help!

I don't really no as I dont care for bettas but im 99.9 % sure it was a bad idea to toss the plants and gravel as that has beneficial bacteria

The pet store suggested the plants were harboring a fungus that was infecting him. It was several months ago now, and there are currently a few plants back in his tank

The pet store suggested the plants were harboring a fungus that was infecting him. It was several months ago now, and there are currently a few plants back in his tank
Never trust a big pet store employee's opinion on meds. They may sound informed but half the time they are speaking out of their ass to just sell you a product. And I suggest you NEVER use pimafix or melafix on your betta ever again. I've read horrible reviews on how those products can damage a betta's labyrinth organ over a long period and I've personally had melafix almost kill my betta years back when I first started in the hobby and I was an idiot. Can you post pictures of your betta as well as answer a few more questions? We will need these answers for others in the forum to help.

Pictures:
Feeding Habits: What do you feed him and how much at a time?
Tank maintenance: How often do you clean his tank? Gravel vaccuming? Do you perform one or two weekly water changes and do you use water conditioner when you do?
What is his tank size?: Betta DO NOT do well in small environments besides what big pet stores tell you. They can survive but surviving is not thriving. Five gallons is the MINIMUM for a single betta.
You posted that you just recently bought a heater for him? This is good but make sure you always have a heater and an established tank before you get a fish. Betta a tropical dwelling fish and prefer a temperature between 74-82 degrees fahrenheit at all times. You must be prepared for all your pet's needs before you actually buy the pet. A cold betta will be lethargic and inactive and stressed. The number one cause of ALL fish illness is stress. A healthy fish rarely gets sick.
And lastly what are his water parameters? This will include Nitrate, Nitrite, Ph, ammonia, and alkalinity. You can purchase a liquid test kit at your local pet shop. It may be a bit pricey but it lasts for ages compared to those test strips. I personally use the API freshwater master test kit. If you cant afford one most pet shops will test your water for free. All you have to do is take a fresh sample of tank water in a clean container to the store.They usually use test strips and while these can be slightly inaccurate they are better than nothing. Just make sure you tell them specific numbers and to write them down.
What other behaviors/symptoms is your betta showing besides the lump? Is he lethargic, labored breathing, not eating, pale in color? Again, clear picture of the aggravated area will give us a better idea on how to help you.

Pictures: sweettart.jpg sweettart1.jpg sweettart2.jpg sweettart3.jpg
Feeding Habits: What do you feed him and how much at a time? He was being fed these dried worms, but the pet store had us switch to flakes. He gets a pinch in the morning and a pinch at night
Tank maintenance: How often do you clean his tank? Gravel vaccuming? Do you perform one or two weekly water changes and do you use water conditioner when you do? Prior to his illness he had a water change of 50% once a week. When he had plants I did not vacuum...but when he was plant free I did. He has plants again, so no vacuuming. When water changes are done we use water conditionner, aquarium salt, and stresszyme. We also use water test strips about an hour after to see if any adjustments/additives are needed- they rarely are
What is his tank size?: Betta DO NOT do well in small environments besides what big pet stores tell you. They can survive but surviving is not thriving. Five gallons is the MINIMUM for a single betta. He is in a 10 gallon tank. Our old betta had a heater, but when we went to setup this time around the store said not to use one. Once the white spot showed up I decided to go back to having a heater. It maintains at a constant 78 per the separate tank thermometer
You posted that you just recently bought a heater for him? This is good but make sure you always have a heater and an established tank before you get a fish. Betta a tropical dwelling fish and prefer a temperature between 74-82 degrees fahrenheit at all times. You must be prepared for all your pet's needs before you actually buy the pet. A cold betta will be lethargic and inactive and stressed. The number one cause of ALL fish illness is stress. A healthy fish rarely gets sick.
And lastly what are his water parameters? This will include Nitrate, Nitrite, Ph, ammonia, and alkalinity. You can purchase a liquid test kit at your local pet shop. It may be a bit pricey but it lasts for ages compared to those test strips. I personally use the API freshwater master test kit. If you cant afford one most pet shops will test your water for free. All you have to do is take a fresh sample of tank water in a clean container to the store.They usually use test strips and while these can be slightly inaccurate they are better than nothing. Just make sure you tell them specific numbers and to write them down.
As mentioned I use the test strips. From about an hours ago:
Ammonia: I use API test strips and it does not seem they test ammonia
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: the color on the strip was between the 0 and 20 color but more toward the 0 color
pH: 6
Hardness (GH): the color was between 0 and 30 blocks, more toward 0 in color
Alkalinity (KH): Between 0 and 40 color blocks I think more toward the 40 color
What other behaviors/symptoms is your betta showing besides the lump? Is he lethargic, labored breathing, not eating, pale in color? Again, clear picture of the aggravated area will give us a better idea on how to help you.
He has absolutely no other symptoms. He seemed "sad" when I removed the plants and has been "happy" to have some return (I will likely add more, but it is a slow process). He is very interactive (made getting photos hard) and will come to the tank edge to see you...or to the top if he thinks you should give him more food (much like my dog he would be happy to snack all day, but we only feed at meal time). When he was in the plant free tank he would hang out in the "cracked vase" ornament..but would always come out to see you when you approached. He still does this, though now he spends more time in amongst the plants. He eats at the same rate, swims about and checks things out...occasionally zoom if he is trying to follow you...pretty much everything he has always done.

Would it be possible to have the tank's ammonia tested? Whether by a test kit, or by a pet store. (sometimes, stores like Petco and Petsmart will test your water for you, but I'm not sure where you're located)
It looks a bit like a tumor, or maybe lymphocystis. I don't have a lot of experience with these ailments, sorry. :( The best thing you could do for him in the meantime, until a more experienced member comments, is keep him comfortable.

The patch looks raised in the photos. I know lymphocystis is raised as you can see from my photos in the thread I linked to - and BeckyCat's betta.
I thought columnaris was flat, but someone else might know more about that.

In a new development he now has small white spots all over. I drove over an hour to a fish specialty shop...he suggested tumor...was skeptical of columnaris...but also suggested one last ditch med (I'd gone there for kanaplex, nitrofurazone and methylene blue and left with something else entirely). I dosed swetttart tonight with his food and will hope for the best

In a new development he now has small white spots all over.

Do these white spots look like grains of salt? If yes its Ich, you do not need medication, over a few hours raise the water temp to 86f and keep it there for 4 or 5 days.

They look like little white dots...so yes I suppose salt. Where is all this coming from? Ugh we are trying so hard to give him a good home and it seems we are failing! His plants that have been in there 4 days are looking awful too...I think our water is poison! Yesterday all leaves were green...today they look a bit spotted....

Would it be possible to test the ammonia levels of the tank?
Do the white spots resemble mold?
Is he breathing quickly/ have red, swollen gills?

I'm sorry this is happening to you guys. Hopefully we can figure out what is going on.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back