Platys Or Guppies What Do You Prefer ?

i still prefer platys :good: (to be fair ive never had a guppy so im kinda biased)

Buying fish through the post is not that unusual at all. As it turns out, almost any fish that you have came in from some other country, often from Asia, and spent several days in shipment. Your LFS was the one who got them shipped in and probably the fish spent some time at customs on the way to the LFS. A typical LFS order goes much like this:
The fish are ordered but the fish farm does not have enough fish on order to create a shipment to your LFS. They send the fish to a central location where the shipment gets put together. Once all fish for a shipment have arrived, the people at the central location actually ship the fish out by air. At the receiving country, whatever inspections are required get done at the customs area. After that they get delivered to the LFS who finally opens the shipping bag. At this point the fish have probably been in a shipping bag for 3 to 6 days. The LFS unpacks and places the fish into a tank where you arrive the next day and buy them. Losses at the LFS run in the 10% range depending on the shipping source. Some locations do better than others on fish survival. Although you seldom see the shipping bags, they arrive at a typical LFS once a week and many of the fish you see are from the most recent shipment. A well run LFS is turning over its inventory on a very short time period, after all feeding a bunch of fish that are not selling is a losing proposition for your LFS.

Buying fish through the post is not that unusual at all. As it turns out, almost any fish that you have came in from some other country, often from Asia, and spent several days in shipment. Your LFS was the one who got them shipped in and probably the fish spent some time at customs on the way to the LFS. A typical LFS order goes much like this:
The fish are ordered but the fish farm does not have enough fish on order to create a shipment to your LFS. They send the fish to a central location where the shipment gets put together. Once all fish for a shipment have arrived, the people at the central location actually ship the fish out by air. At the receiving country, whatever inspections are required get done at the customs area. After that they get delivered to the LFS who finally opens the shipping bag. At this point the fish have probably been in a shipping bag for 3 to 6 days. The LFS unpacks and places the fish into a tank where you arrive the next day and buy them. Losses at the LFS run in the 10% range depending on the shipping source. Some locations do better than others on fish survival. Although you seldom see the shipping bags, they arrive at a typical LFS once a week and many of the fish you see are from the most recent shipment. A well run LFS is turning over its inventory on a very short time period, after all feeding a bunch of fish that are not selling is a losing proposition for your LFS.

Very interesting and reassuring... my fish are being despatched tomorrow !

All fish purchases are up to the buyer. Each of us must determine whether or not we are comfortable with a particular purchase. A mail order purchase poses far less hazard than many will assume. Best of luck with your fish.

14 platies to 11 guppies!!! Who's gonna win!?!?! :)

Before, I said that I wasn't partial to either fish. Just to save the platies from losing, however, I change my vote to platies! :fun:

And platies take home the gold 15-13!!!! Great game! Unless you wanna keep it going :hyper:

I love platies but I love guppies more :D

Yes ! 15 Platies and 14 guppies ! GOOOOOOOO GUPPY ! :hyper:

Most reactions

Back