Plants and moss

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

zain611

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys I bought a pot of vallinseria and a tub of taxiphilium moss. I put the plant in my current tank with the pot. I'm planning on putting these in my new tank. One question I have is what should I do with the moss? Is it suitable to leave it in the tub whilst I get the new tank ready? Probably today or tomorrow the tank will be ready for setting up so I'm only worried about the moss if it could dry out in the tub

The Java Moss should be kept moist or wet. You can leave it in the tank or put it in a small container of water and it will be fine until tomorrow.

That was quick thanks again Colin. It's called taxiphyllum barbieri. Don't know if there is another name it's called

The images of it on Dr Googly look like Java Moss, but there are a number of different species that all look very similar. All aquarium mosses should be kept moist or wet and not allowed to dry out otherwise they die. :)

Thanks Colin yes your correct. Didn't know that that was java moss. Actually really happy to know

What low tech plants could you recommend which grow tall and have large leaves. I want a plant which can cover the intake pipe. The vallinseria I bought is okay but it's leaves are small which would mean I need a bunch of them.

Vallis grows pretty quickly when it is established.

Hygrophila polysperma, rubra, costata, corymbosa, with H. corymbosa having the biggest leaves.
These plants will tell you when they have had enough light by closing their leaves up against the stem. The top leaves close up first and then the next set down and so on.

I've noticed 3 of the leaves of the val has come off. Is this normal? At the bottom there are a few short leaves and all leaves including the ones which detached look a healthy green.

Vallis doesn't normally drop leaves so something might be biting them off. Do you have snails or shrimp in the tank? What fish are in there?

Try increasing the light for a few weeks and they should produce a few more. :)

Only have my 5 danios in there. Hope its not due to no parasites or harmful organisms. One of the leaves is hanging on by a thread. I'm keeping the lights on for around 6 hours a day.

Increase the light to at least 12 hours a day. I had mine on for 16 hours a day when growing vallis, I also had it in ponds in full sun all day and that went nuts over summer with lots of light.

Plants don't get parasites like fish. Their leaves and stems can be bruised, crushed or damaged by rough handling but that is about it.

I'd say one of the leaves looks to be dieing as it is a lightish brown colour. What ferts are there that I could get? There's about 4 small leaves at the bottom so hopefully they will grow.

Vallis doesn't normally need fertilisers but if you want to try one get a liquid iron plant fertiliser and add it to the tank a couple of times a week.

Is it giant vallis or narrow vallis?
Giant Vallis needs way more light than other types of Vallis but even narrow Vallis, which is the easiest to grow needs lots of light. If the leaves are going brown it is usually lack of light or physical damage (crushed leaves).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back