One Of My Betta Is Flicking Itself Onto My Plants?

-Rob-

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
one of the betta simplex i got saturday has started to flick onto the plants, i have a vid but it wont upload photobucket is spitting its dummy out again,

why is the fish doing this ? help :crazy:

click on to view vid of what there doing, is it normal or do they have somthing wrong with them?

hm, i couldnt personaly tell you but i do know my fish seem to do this...they have done for a long time? ive got every reason to belive some do it because they have either burnt themselfs on the heater or just have an itch....or maybe its somthing worse?? how often does your betta do this? and can you get water stats in

ammonia
nitrite
nitrAte

this will help the pros out as if any of these are not right it could possibly be some kind of parasite/infection, dont take that as a "your betta is ill" its just what i think :)

PH:7.4

ammonia:0

nitrite:0

nitrate :10ppm

it does it everytime its near the females, it may be somthing that it just does, no chance of burning its self on the heater its on the other side of the tank, which is behind a divider and inclosed in one of those juwel internal thingys :lol:

it keeps going and sitting in the bell hidy hole i have in there, so mite be a territorial thing, no idea myself with these not being a widely known about betta.

I don't normally advocate medicating unless absolutely necessary but if he is doing it on a somewhat regular basis I would just nuke him with some coppersafe. It is really safe stuff and should knock out just about any creepy crawly. Because there are external parasites out there that you can't physically see.

Plus it's really easy to dose.

I don't normally advocate medicating unless absolutely necessary but if he is doing it on a somewhat regular basis I would just nuke him with some coppersafe. It is really safe stuff and should knock out just about any creepy crawly. Because there are external parasites out there that you can't physically see.

Plus it's really easy to dose.

is that dangerous to shrimp ? i have 4 ghost shrimp in that tank too :blink:

all 3 fish were doing it together not long ago ??? then they stop for abit, then if one does it again they all start???????

is this likely to be the beginning of ich?

if so must have came with them :blink: as my female betta splenden who's next to them has always been fine.

It says it isn't dangerous to fully-shelled inverts but I would remove them to be on the safe side.

Flicking can indicate many parasites apart from ich... you could be looking at early velvet, trichodina or other protozoan parasites. The fact that all of your fish are doing it despite okay water parameters also makes me suspect something 'contagious' like a parasite.

It says it isn't dangerous to fully-shelled inverts but I would remove them to be on the safe side.

Flicking can indicate many parasites apart from ich... you could be looking at early velvet, trichodina or other protozoan parasites. The fact that all of your fish are doing it despite okay water parameters also makes me suspect something 'contagious' like a parasite.

if i remove them from that tank, the only thing i can do is remove the snails i have and the shrimp i have to anouther tank, but that also has fish in, think this is only going to spread :(

:crazy: not sure what to do :blink:

copersafe ABSOLUTE no for any inverts, especially shrimp. does the fish(es) in wuestion do this alot? every so often a fish gets and itch, and thats how they scratch. if it is frequent, females or no in his view, id be on the lookout for ich firstly. will look like grains of salt on the fish. easily treatable and very good survival rate. if this continues and NO sign of Ich, take a flashlight and with the tank lights and room lights off shine it on the fish(es) in question and see if they have a dusting of what looks like rust on them. that is velvet and calls for a totally different treatment.
let us know.
cheers

copersafe ABSOLUTE no for any inverts, especially shrimp. does the fish(es) in wuestion do this alot? every so often a fish gets and itch, and thats how they scratch. if it is frequent, females or no in his view, id be on the lookout for ich firstly. will look like grains of salt on the fish. easily treatable and very good survival rate. if this continues and NO sign of Ich, take a flashlight and with the tank lights and room lights off shine it on the fish(es) in question and see if they have a dusting of what looks like rust on them. that is velvet and calls for a totally different treatment.
let us know.
cheers

hi, i have just done as you suggested, i cannot see anything on them , no small white bits, no rusty like patches , they have however started to keep the tail fins clamped . there seam to be constanly leaning to one side then flicking things. :unsure:

It sounds like ich to me, but it could be gill flukes. Try looking for a med's like anti white spot (interpet no.6) that are safe to use with inverts and corys.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back