Nontraditional tanks

Hello. A few weeks prior to vacation, it would be a good idea to feed the fish a little more and more often. They'll build up a little fat prior to their fast while you're gone. Continue with your larger water changes and then a day or two prior to leaving, change the water and make that change a little larger than normal. Fish can go many days without food, but three weeks is a little long. Zoo Med has a feeding block that's good. It won't foul the tank water and it will help keep your fish nourished while you're gone.

I totally agree with changing a lot of water and changing it often. I change half or more of the water in my tanks every week.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Hello. A few weeks prior to vacation, it would be a good idea to feed the fish a little more and more often. They'll build up a little fat prior to their fast while you're gone. Continue with your larger water changes and then a day or two prior to leaving, change the water and make that change a little larger than normal. Fish can go many days without food, but three weeks is a little long. Zoo Med has a feeding block that's good. It won't foul the tank water and it will help keep your fish nourished while you're gone.

I totally agree with changing a lot of water and changing it often. I change half or more of the water in my tanks every week.

10 Tanks (Now 11)
Hi, I do have auto feeders for everything and have worked to tweek them with taping part of the opening so itā€™s almost or about what they normally would eat. I trust it because I still feed them extra and they eat it but donā€™t act desperate. I have been fattening them up and think that could be ok.

The betta might be a problem because heā€™s in a community tank, not on the same diet, too slow to compete, and just doesnā€™t get the idea of the auto feeder. I might take him on the road trip with us in a big jar with air space, daily water changes when we get there. Three day drive 8 hours a day, long stops (taking a camper). Is that crazy to take him? Crazy to leave him? Or both?

I believe the biggest risk is water quality and evaporation. Some have submersible and sponge filters (in case airlines pop off). One has a SunSun canister and I wish there was an extension to lower the spray bar so it would stay submerged and not worsen water loss once exposed. I havenā€™t found such a thing. Iā€™ll put a submersible in there, wondering if I should stop the canister, maybe put the media in the main tank? An outdoor tank has an HOB but I need to change it to submersible with sponge filter or the HOB might run dry if it doesnā€™t rain. The big pond should be fine.

My husband doesnā€™t get this ā€œobsession with fishā€ so I would definitely not get away with altering vacation lengths for them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back