Nontraditional tanks

Endlersendlers

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I would love to see what other people use for nontraditional tanks. Iā€™ll start with my open air stock tank. I know itā€™s not beautiful but the decorations were cheap and the fish donā€™t seem to mind. Plants donā€™t do well in this tank, maybe because the pH is too high. It is usually around 7.5. This is also in a hot room, water temps range from 75 to 82. Does anyone have suggestions for good plants in that environment?
IMG_3708.jpeg

I call this the mothers and children tank. There are tiger endlers and mystery snails, and maybe a betta if this was before I moved him to a traditional tank.

Hello Endlers. Yes, I do have a suggestion. Try introducing a Chinese Evergreen. Very colorful and there are several varieties. It's generally a land plant, but if you remove the potting mixture and immerse the roots in the water, the plant will grow very quickly. The root system is large and it will take in all three forms of nitrogen. It grows in all kinds of light, but really prefers simple room light. The tempertures you're describing wouldn't be an issue. I've had this plant immersed in a fish tank and never needed to change the tank water. The root system really works that well to remove dissolved fish and plant waste. I just topped off water lost to evaporation with distilled water. There's one drawback though, the leaves are toxic to pets. So, as long as the plant is in a place where pets can't get to it, you'll have a beautiful plant and a natural water filter.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

I have stock tanks too. They are really versatile. I have an 8-foot red mangrove growing in one. Also, there are submerged, emersed and floating plants such as Amazon swords, water sprite, water lilies, Anubias, java fern and jungle val. It is so easy to propagate plants in a stock tank.

Attachments

• Rhizophora mangle.jpg
    Rhizophora mangle.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1416 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1416 - Copy.JPG
    257 KB · Views: 26
Hello Endlers. Yes, I do have a suggestion. Try introducing a Chinese Evergreen. Very colorful and there are several varieties. It's generally a land plant, but if you remove the potting mixture and immerse the roots in the water, the plant will grow very quickly. The root system is large and it will take in all three forms of nitrogen. It grows in all kinds of light, but really prefers simple room light. The tempertures you're describing wouldn't be an issue. I've had this plant immersed in a fish tank and never needed to change the tank water. The root system really works that well to remove dissolved fish and plant waste. I just topped off water lost to evaporation with distilled water. There's one drawback though, the leaves are toxic to pets. So, as long as the plant is in a place where pets can't get to it, you'll have a beautiful plant and a natural water filter.

10 Tanks (Now 11)
Thanks, Iā€™ll look into that!

I like stock tanks , tubs and other non-glass containers . The fish seem to settle down and feel more secure in them . They usually spawn more readily in them too . Also , the perfect thing for someone who wants a big aquarium without going whole hog .
Yes, they do seem to like the horizontal shallow water to shoal in. Iā€™ve not seen a jump out yet, and they are getting overcrowded, so spawningā€¦check. āœ… Really hoping the LFS is ready for more this weekend.

I have stock tanks too. They are really versatile. I have an 8-foot red mangrove growing in one. Also, there are submerged, emersed and floating plants such as Amazon swords, water sprite, water lilies, Anubias, java fern and jungle val. It is so easy to propagate plants in a stock tank.
Iā€™m certainly in the right place for a mangrove. I havenā€™t done a lot with plants yet, a few here and there, but itā€™s time to up my game. Iā€™ve had decent success with guppy grass and water sprite (although Iā€™m not sure now which is which). My Anubias never grow and swords become transparent, but thatā€™s in a different environment, havenā€™t tried them in the warmer stock tank. Iā€™ll look them up to learn more. Thanks for the ideas and sharing the pics of yours!

You could probably add some floaters...duckweed, frogbit, and water lettuce could be nice
Iā€™m probably one of 2 people on this forum that hasnā€™t been able to propagate duckweed. I tend to put them in too much water flow or in completely stagnant water outside and donā€™t change it every day. They do need some floaters, might try the water lettuce. Thank you.

What was that originally? I thought it was a round aquarium but on closer look, I see it had another purpose at one time. The lion and bonsai are a nice touch too.
It's originally a vase (but a broad one). And it's got thick glass.

Hello. Thought I'd post a photo of a small Chinese Evergreen in a 52 gallon tank where I keep a dozen or so Buenos Aires Tetras and some really large female Guppies. The Guppies are pretty old and large enough that the Tetras leave them alone. The plant and a sponge filter take care of the nitrogen. I've tested the water a couple of times and the nitrate doesn't register on the testing strip. Of course, I feed just a little every day, so the fish are forced to forage and that helps keep the tank a bit cleaner and I remove and replace most of the tank water every few days.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Attachments

• IMG_3873.jpg
    IMG_3873.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 27
Hello. Thought I'd post a photo of a small Chinese Evergreen in a 52 gallon tank where I keep a dozen or so Buenos Aires Tetras and some really large female Guppies. The Guppies are pretty old and large enough that the Tetras leave them alone. The plant and a sponge filter take care of the nitrogen. I've tested the water a couple of times and the nitrate doesn't register on the testing strip. Of course, I feed just a little every day, so the fish are forced to forage and that helps keep the tank a bit cleaner and I remove and replace most of the tank water every few days.

10 Tanks (Now 11)
Thanks - I ordered it off Etsy. :) I saw the debate from back in February and am not sure I understood all that but it looks promising, especially based on your results. I have a 3 week vacation coming up and am going for whatever I can do to extend their tolerance between those water changes.

Speaking of which, and I welcome others to weigh in on this too, Iā€™ve been trying to keep the water really clean and changing the tanksā€™ water about 40% twice a week. I am going with the school of thought that the healthier and cleaner going into this, the better they can tolerate an occasional ā€œslip.ā€ Another school of thought might be more along the lines of what doesnā€™t kill you makes you stronger, and to get them used to a little more neglect so itā€™s not a shock. Would you agree with the first and stay on top of things to have them as good as possible before I go?

Iā€™m also adding floating plants to all the tanks, will quarantine first, plan to have some time to ensure theyā€™re not melting/dying and ruining the water instead of helping and are ok in whichever tanks they are in.

I donā€™t have fish-competent friends and had a disaster way back with someone accidentally dumping food in, and am not sure about strangers from the LFS coming in. I have timers and feeders, no top offs.

Itā€™s hard to believe I used to have cichlids and added Balance regularly, changing the water only every few months and that lasted about 10 years, although understocked, until I moved and gave them away. I had a parrot cichlid (bought before I knew about the dye injections) and convict in 55 gallons. Now Iā€™m almost obsessive with water changes.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back