Nitra Zorb???

Why are you so reluctant to reduce the source of your nitrates? Over feeding your fish will not make them grow larger and is detrimental to their health? It will eventually make them sick. I donā€™t mean to sound rude, really I donā€™t. Iā€™m just trying to understand your logic. Iā€™ve been breeding goldfish for quite some time and only genetics will grow larger fish, not over feeding them.

All groomer here feed their goldfish up to 10 times a day, even more to get a good body shape within first year. But they grew them outdoor using fiberglass tank or pond with large good quality filtration so they have no problem with nitrate. Most of them do that for selling reason, and some want to produce show quality fish to be included in a contest, so their goal is to grow the fish fast and healthy. So thank you for your advice but I think 4 times a day is not over feeding.

All groomer here feed their goldfish up to 10 times a day, even more to get a good body shape within first year. But they grew them outdoor using fiberglass tank or pond with large good quality filtration so they have no problem with nitrate. Most of them do that for selling reason, and some want to produce show quality fish to be included in a contest, so their goal is to grow the fish fast and healthy. So thank you for your advice but I think 4 times a day is not over feeding.
Youā€™re shortening the lives of your goldfish but doesnā€™t seem to be a concern of yours. Good luck! :)

Fish are either grazers or gorgers. Grazers are the smaller fish with smaller stomachs. They eat small amounts throughout the day. Gorgers are larger fish adapted to eat a large amount, then not eat again for some time.
I'm not exactly sure where goldfish fit in, but feeding small amounts several times a day is not unhealthy for fish. I've bred and sold hundreds of quality swordtails and I feed fish 4+ times a day. Growing fish, especially fry, require frequent small feedings.
Overfeeding can be a problem. I've read that goldfish will over consume and potentially eat themselves to death! But I'm not sure that withholding food is the answer to high tank nitrates.
In the fight for lower tank nitrates there are several approaches. The first is high quality fish food. Lower quality foods may use low quality fish meal with a lot of grain starch as binder/filler. This is not nutritionally sound, is not digested well, and passes through as excess waste. When I switched many. many years ago to high quality foods the reduction in fish waste was astounding. Next comes housekeeping. Filters and gravel collect organic matter that decomposes to produce nitrates. Keeping filters and gravel 'clean' reduces nitrates by reducing nitrogenous waste (crud) before it fully decomposes. Fast growing (especially floating) plants will use ammonia as their N2 source before bacteria can break it down to nitrites, then nitrates, thus indirectly reducing tank nitrates. And then of course is the routine periodic water change. This involves both the frequency and the amount of fresh water to reduce the [nitrate] pollution. Many hobbyists do partial water changes too infrequently and or of insufficient volume to meet a minimum requirement to manage tank nitrates. I tend to feel that a minimum of 50% weekly is most often required. However, there are some cases where stock loads may require bi-weekly (2x week) water changes and/or 75% volumes.
Not one of these things alone may resolve the issue, but in combination they become powerful for tank balance and keeping tank nitrates low and water quality high.

Footnotes:
1) Of course when speaking of water changes, one must have nitrate free source water and this can't be presumed as more and more, especially in agricultural areas, nitrates exist in drinking water!
2) API's Nitra-Zorb is a great resin that adsorbs nitrates and can be recharged many times with non-iodized salt water. The only down fall of the product is that in time, it's use life reduces as the resin pellets become coated with detritus. It should always be placed AFTER fine filter media. I do not know if it can be recovered with a bleach/water solution like Purigen but it may be possible.

Last edited:
Most breeders I know do feed 4 times a day. They also do daily water changes and its proven that fry grow faster with these. It's not just nitrates but hormones that have to be diluted. I'm afraid there are no shortcuts.

Most breeders I know do feed 4 times a day. They also do daily water changes and its proven that fry grow faster with these. It's not just nitrates but hormones that have to be diluted. I'm afraid there are no shortcuts.
Why do you guys always disagree and act like I donā€™t know what Iā€™m talking about. It drives me bonkers! Now, with that said...Yes, in fry we do feed 4-5 times a day. He is not talking about fry though and goldfish will eat themselves to death. Fancy goldfish are prone to swim bladder disorder as their organs are compacted more. I know what I am talking about here and really wish others with less experience in goldfish would not encourage the OP to over feed. I mean no disrespect to anyone but feeding an adult goldfish too much food just to make them grow is absurd. It doesnā€™t help and will eventually cause health issues. I stand firm on this!

Last edited:
Not disagreeing at all. Sorry if it came across that way. Merely pointing out to the OP that if he is unwilling to reduce the input there are no magic potions that will allow him to reduce water changes. Since I have 50ppm in my tap water I have tried everything that is of there.

I wasn't disagreeing with anyone - merely pointing out that feeding small amounts several times a day can be better for many fish than feeding a larger amount once a day!
Withholding food may result in lower tank nitrates, but may not be the best solution.

Last edited:
I wasn't disagreeing with anyone - merely pointing out that feeding small amounts several times a day can be better for many fish than feeding a larger amount once a day!
Withholding food may result in lower tank nitrates, but may not be the best solution.
Who suggested withholding food? That would be cruel.

Who suggested withholding food? That would be cruel.
I thought that you suggested reduced feeding to lower nitrates. I believe that you presumed that feeding 4 times a day was overfeeding without really knowing how much was fed at each feeding. And I think @Agus (when s/he spoke of feeding 10x daily) was referring to growing out perhaps hundreds of fish in breeder grow out ponds. Something few hobbyists have experience with. As the water boils in these ponds during feeding, individual fish only typically get a small amount of food...and that's if they're quick.

There are some that often recommend withholding food one or more days a week to 'clean the fish out' presuming it makes them healthier. (I think the jury is still out on that one). I do know it's recommended to withhold food a day or two before shipments or auctions to keep waste out of the bag, but that's a different matter to better ensure survival.

I thought that you suggested reduced feeding to lower nitrates. I believe that you presumed that feeding 4 times a day was overfeeding without really knowing how much was fed at each feeding. And I think @Agus (when s/he spoke of feeding 10x daily) was referring to growing out perhaps hundreds of fish in breeder grow out ponds. Something few hobbyists have experience with. As the water boils in these ponds during feeding, individual fish only typically get a small amount of food...and that's if they're quick.

There are some that often recommend withholding food one or more days a week to 'clean the fish out' presuming it makes them healthier. (I think the jury is still out on that one). I do know it's recommended to withhold food a day or two before shipments or auctions to keep waste out of the bag, but that's a different matter to better ensure survival.
Where did you get all of that? I think youā€™re on drugs. :)

Where did you get all of that? I think youā€™re on drugs. :)
All the OP asked me was how the nitra zorb worked out from an old post and mentioned he had 3 fancy goldfish that he fed 6 times a day to grow bigger. You read all of that stuff you just said from that? Now I need drugs. Lol!

Why are you so reluctant to reduce the source of your nitrates? Over feeding your fish will not make them grow larger and is detrimental to their health? It will eventually make them sick. I donā€™t mean to sound rude, really I donā€™t. Iā€™m just trying to understand your logic. Iā€™ve been breeding goldfish for quite some time and only genetics will grow larger fish, not over feeding them.
Youā€™re shortening the lives of your goldfish but doesnā€™t seem to be a concern of yours. Good luck! :)
I got it from what you recommended. You presumed that feeding 4x a day was overfeeding. But it depends on the amount that's fed. As I mentioned many of our fish are grazers with small stomachs that eat small amounts throughout the day. Feeding a larger amount once a day isn't better.

I got it from what you recommended. You presumed that feeding 4x a day was overfeeding. But it depends on the amount that's fed. As I mentioned many of our fish are grazers with small stomachs that eat small amounts throughout the day. Feeding a larger amount once a day isn't better.
We were talking specifically about goldfish and it was with feeding 6 times a day. They are pigs and will eat themselves to death. The question was to me specifically and you all jumped in. Thatā€™s fine but remember that this was specific to goldfish and only 3 fancy goldfish. I know my business regarding goldfish and will stand firm. If you feed a fancy goldfish 6 times a day, even only a few pellets at a time, you are endangering their health In the long term....3 times a day is the most they should be fed and only a few pellets then. Note too, that his reason for doing so was to increase size in his fish. This should be done at the fry and the juvenile stages, not at adult stages. We can agree to disagree on this topic because I will not change my opinion. Happy New Year Eve!

Last edited:
Well alright then!
And @Agus may have it wrong. When feeding commercial ponds with dozens or hundreds of hungry, growing fish, each fish may get a pellet or two with each feeding...some likely get none. So they are fed many times during the day. This shouldn't be confused with the home aquarium where the number of fish and competition for food is completely different. You really can't compare the two or use one as a model for the other.
I still feel that for most (grazer) fish, 2-3 light feedings a day (more for fry/growing out) rather than one heavier feeding is better - but each to his/her own.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back