Nitra Zorb???

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
Has anyone used this product? If so, can you provide feedback on the product? Thanks so much.

Has anyone used this product? If so, can you provide feedback on the product? Thanks so much.

I have never used it, I like to get rid of my Nitrates the old fashioned way... if you do buy it and use it keep us posted on what you found out about it??

I have never used it, I like to get rid of my Nitrates the old fashioned way... if you do buy it and use it keep us posted on what you found out about it??
I just canā€™t get rid if high nitrates in my goldie tanks. I do a weekly tank cleaning and mid-week 25 to 50% w/c. I have cut back on food too. After 3 days Iā€™m at 40ppm again. If I donā€™t do mid-week changes, Iā€™m at over 80ppm by week end. Iā€™m not overstocked. I think Iā€™ll try it in one tank and will report my findings. I also read a study being done at a university on the effects of Prime in tank water and nitrates. Iā€™m following the study in one tank where they use StressCoat instead of Prime. Results are showing reduced nitrates after a couple of weeks without the Prime. Iā€™ll report on that after I get my own findings

How big are the goldfish and how many do you have?
How big is the tank?

Try doing a 75% water change. Make sure you gravel clean the substrate each time you do a water change.
Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks.
Check your tap water for nitrates.
Try growing plants like Duckweed in the tank. If the fish eat it you can grow it in a breeding net in the tank and the net will stop the fish eating it. When the net gets too much in you take some out and put it in the tank for the fish.

You can get denitrating filters like the Sera Denitrator.

If you attach a sump to the tank, you could put live plants in the sump and they would use the nitrates.

Try some pothos in your tank it loves nitrate.

Like this
i4cxmrh4forz.jpg

I think API Nitra-Zorb is a great product. It can be recharged many times with non-iodized salt water.
I have had high nitrates in my well water making water changes less effective. For a time I used the Nitra-Zorb pouches in the filter. For the source well water, I tried the now discontinued API Tap Water Filter...but found that it's standard cartridge use life was too short to be cost effective for me (yielding only about 40-50g per cartridge). A light bulb went off and I wondered if I loaded a tap water filter cartridge with Nitra-Zorb would it work to filter nitrates from my well water. I put the question to API Tech support but they said the product had never been tested that way, but they knew that the product use life was shortened by detritus clogging the resin. Well that wouldn't be the case filtering clean well water. Well my 'invention' works GREAT:
20170923220704w.jpg

Here you see a hookup to my kitchen sink. The tap water filter is filled with Nitra-Zorb, then through an inline carbon filter, then on to 5g buckets. Takes about 35 minutes for each 5g produced.
To date (with the same resin!) I've run over 3000 gallons through it, recharging with salt water every 250 gallons or so.

SO, you can use the pouches in a filter, but precede it's placement with fine media to reduce/lessen detritus from reducing it's run life. You can recharge w/salt water, but detritus will eventually compromise the resin.
I honestly don't know if you can reclaim a pouch by soaking in a bleach/water solution, then Prime (like you would with Purigen) but it could be worth a try.

Anyway, it does work to capture nitrates and can be recharged many times.

How big are the goldfish and how many do you have?
How big is the tank?

Try doing a 75% water change. Make sure you gravel clean the substrate each time you do a water change.
Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks.
Check your tap water for nitrates.
Try growing plants like Duckweed in the tank. If the fish eat it you can grow it in a breeding net in the tank and the net will stop the fish eating it. When the net gets too much in you take some out and put it in the tank for the fish.

You can get denitrating filters like the Sera Denitrator.

If you attach a sump to the tank, you could put live plants in the sump and they would use the nitrates.
Love the idea of putting the plants in breeding net. They do eat the plants like Salad. I have 3 fancies in a 55G and 2 in a 29G. The 2 in the 29 are moving into a 45G after Christmas. I donā€™t vacuum the gravel but once a week. Iā€™ll start 2 times a week and see if that helps. I do have pothos in the filters and they have brought it down but not as low as I want. When you say clean the filter, are you referring to the whole housing or just the cartridges? I do that once a month unless they need it more. I have 2 hobā€™s On the tank, one Aqua Clear 70 and one Aqua Tech 30-60. I alternate cleaning them a week apart. Iā€™ll get some duckweed ordered and see if that helps. I did order the Nitra Zorb too to test on the one tank. Thanks for the info!

I think API Nitra-Zorb is a great product. It can be recharged many times with non-iodized salt water.
I have had high nitrates in my well water making water changes less effective. For a time I used the Nitra-Zorb pouches in the filter. For the source well water, I tried the now discontinued API Tap Water Filter...but found that it's standard cartridge use life was too short to be cost effective for me (yielding only about 40-50g per cartridge). A light bulb went off and I wondered if I loaded a tap water filter cartridge with Nitra-Zorb would it work to filter nitrates from my well water. I put the question to API Tech support but they said the product had never been tested that way, but they knew that the product use life was shortened by detritus clogging the resin. Well that wouldn't be the case filtering clean well water. Well my 'invention' works GREAT:
20170923220704w.jpg

Here you see a hookup to my kitchen sink. The tap water filter is filled with Nitra-Zorb, then through an inline carbon filter, then on to 5g buckets. Takes about 35 minutes for each 5g produced.
To date (with the same resin!) I've run over 3000 gallons through it, recharging with salt water every 250 gallons or so.

SO, you can use the pouches in a filter, but precede it's placement with fine media to reduce/lessen detritus from reducing it's run life. You can recharge w/salt water, but detritus will eventually compromise the resin.
I honestly don't know if you can reclaim a pouch by soaking in a bleach/water solution, then Prime (like you would with Purigen) but it could be worth a try.

Anyway, it does work to capture nitrates and can be recharged many times.
Thanks for the info. I have some ordered!

Try some pothos in your tank it loves nitrate.

Like this
i4cxmrh4forz.jpg
Lol! I told you guys about the pothos and you told me it was poisonous. Iā€™ve been using it, remember?

Lol! I told you guys about the pothos and you told me it was poisonous. Iā€™ve been using it, remember?
It all depends on the stock.

Pothos roots are toxic to shrimp if they eat them. Goldfish on the other hand love munching on the roots,

Hello Deanasue,

I know this is an old thread but I would like to know how do you handle your goldfish nitrate problem so far? Any luck with Nitra Zorb?
I also have problem with nitrate in my goldfish tank. It's 45g tank with 3 fancy (about 4") and I feed them 4-6 times a day, and they grow fabulously. As the consequences the waste also a lot and I have to do 30% wc every 3 days to keep nitrate around 40 ppm. My tank water always clear every day with no algae issue since day one and my 3 fancies are healthy, and they laying eggs again!

This is what I've done so far:
- using JBL NitratEx, but it doesn't help that much because the waste load too much
- using Seachem de*nitrate in separate canister with low flow, but this is long term experiment that is not guarantee will work
- growing photos, but this too won't reduce nitrate that much

So at the moment I still searching for a better way to reduce nitrate quickly. I'm also thinking to change the filtration system to a sump so that I can maintain/organize the filter media easier. But this will take more effort since I have to order new stand/cabinet for it.

Have you heard about Anoxic filtration system using BCB from Dr. Kevin Novak? He's convincing the system can remove nitrate but many other has failed.

How long has your tank been running. Your feeding way too much. I have an 8ā€ black moor and she only gets fed twice a day. Itā€™s the quality, not the quantity of feedings. Youā€™re really asking for trouble by feeding that much. Iā€™m sure that is contributing to the nitrates. With that being said, it took about a year for my tank to truly stabilize. It drove me nuts...always 50 or higher ppm. I do a weekly 75% water change and thoroughly clean/vacuum the gravel. I do another 50% water change mid-week. Nitra sorb really didnā€™t make a difference, in my opinion. My 3 females (one 8ā€ long) are in a 55G. Cutting back on food to twice a day and weekly 75% water changes Is the best thing you can do for cutting nitrates and keeping your fish healthy. Try a mid-week water change for awhile too. Believe me, I tried everything! Mine now only get to 40ppm right before cleaning day. Plants arenā€™t an option for us because goldies gobble them up. Happy fish keeping!

Last edited:
My tank has been running mature for 3 months now but I just kept these fancy for 1.5. What food did you fed them? I gave them Mizuho goldfish pellets and frozen blood worm, and peas once a week. Sometimes also broccoli.

My tank has been running mature for 3 months now but I just kept these fancy for 1.5. What food did you fed them? I gave them Mizuho goldfish pellets and frozen blood worm, and peas once a week. Sometimes also broccoli.
Yeah, it takes time to get it all balanced.
I feed New Life Spectrum Goldfish pellets, Omega One, and Rapheshy Gel Food for Goldfish. I also feed peas occasionally, zucchini, and cucumber. As I already stated, my female black moor is huge and measures about 8ā€ tip to tail. My males are in a 45 gallon (2 of them). One of them Is about 6ā€ now. They are about 2.5 - 3 years old. I feed A.M. and P.M. When I cut back on the amount, I saw my nitrates drop. :)

Nitrate will drop when you reduce the source...that's for sure, it is easy solution. If that is work best for you and the fish then it's good. However there are still view option out there to reduce nitrate that I haven't try, so I will keep looking and trying. Wish me luck :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back