Newbie Betta Mom

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dohaver

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My betta, Super Delta Dumbo, was born July 23, 2015.
He was healthy. I did not do my research his 1st home a small bowl. I then bought a 1.5 bowl with light dome. He did fine for a little while then stopped being happy. I opened the lid and a stong odor hit me in the face. I changed his water, cleaned gravel. Too late, fin and tail rot. I used Bettafix and nothing. Bought a 2.5 tank kit, with a heater. Store manager, has me doing 25% daily water changes with aquarium salt, 2.5 tsp. on day 4. He is resting on a tank leaf. He isn't improving.

Shoot more for 50% daily water changes. You seem new to this so I would do some reading on the Nitrogen cycle. The nitrogen cycle is basically how fish waste is broken down to less harmful products, and we have to preform water changes to keep those products (nitrates) at a safe level. I would think your tank is not cycled seeing as it is rather new.

Do not use bettafix, it is rather useless. You can add the salt, but be sure you are dosing it appropriately. This meaning that you have to make sure you replace the salt you remove during water changes without dosing the entire tank volume again. Sounds to me you would be using 1tsp per gallon, seems a bit much IMO. Maybe go with half a tsp per gallon. Keep in mind that salt can be stressful on the fish, so once you notice new fin growth, perhaps stop using it.

Can you post some photos of the betta? His new tanks has a filter correct?

Thank you so much for reply. I had the water tested and everything is perfect but hard water. salt maybe? So I will cut back as you suggest. Seems the file is too large to upload.

Here he is.

Attachments

• 20171230_080319.jpg
    20171230_080319.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 276
he is hiding on the leaf is the upper left corner. here is the pic of Aqueon BettaBow 2.5. thanks again.

Attachments

• 20171230_080716.jpg
    20171230_080716.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 234
He's fighting for his life. hasn't eaten at all for a week and a 1/2. this will be day 5 of less salt and 50% water change, a tsp. per gal. as you suggest.

Hi

this will be day 5 of less salt
a tsp. per gal. as you suggest.

Stop using salt,

hi,
Demeter32 recommended I cut the salt to 1/2 tsp. per gall and I did my 50% water change. Did you have the opportunity to read all the threads? If you suggest removing aquarium salt, what do I do to help removal of fin rot and repair his fins. I would love to see him want food again. Today is the first day he has swam about in his new home.

And yes, this tank came with a filter and I bought a heater and thermometer. The water temp is at 78.

Hi

If you suggest removing aquarium salt, what do I do to help removal of fin rot and repair his fins

Lots of clean water good food and some live plants including some floating ones. Fin rot is the direct result of poor water conditions, fix the water and the fin rot will go away.

Salt has a nasty habit of building up in the water as you do water changes if its not added correctly, I would never add salt to my main tank.
I suggest you do a few 50% water changes over the next few days to get the salt out of the water.

How strong is the current from the filter?

thank you for coming back. So, tomorrow, I should do another 50% water change, adding Betta water conditioner and a little stress coat? I use bottled water, as the tap water here smells like chlorine. I have clean water at 78 degrees awaiting next day change. I cut a piece of Fluval spounge to block some of the water outflow. It has helped.

My male sick betta tank. A picture of my filter with a piece of sponge on top and a slice of spounge under the filter cartridge to slow the flow. It has helped. I did the same to my duplicate setup for my female betta and she is a strong swimmer. No problems.

Attachments

• 20171230_165636.jpg
    20171230_165636.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 236
adding Betta water ?

Tell me more about this Betta water, If its what I think it is there is no need to add anything.

a little stress coat
How much is a little? What brand is it? Most of these things contain Aloe Vera and I am not a fan of these products.

Tell me about your tap water? Do you know the PH, is it soft or hard? If you dont know you can look it up on your water suppliers web site.

The Chlorine smell from your tap water can easily be handled by a dechlorinator.

I have a couple of live fern and round moss ball. The green leaf he perches on is soft bendable plastic, which I adjusted for his comfort.

Attachments

• 20171230_170600.jpg
    20171230_170600.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 226
Tell me more about this Betta water, If its what I think it is there is no need to add anything.

How much is a little? What brand is it? Most of these things contain Aloe Vera and I am not a fan of these products.

Tell me about your tap water? Do you know the PH, is it soft or hard? If you dont know you can look it up on your water suppliers web site.

The Chlorine smell from your tap water can easily be handled by a dechlorinator.

The water I use is bottled water I would drink and I add water conditioner in it based on the 2.5 gal of water minus the .5 due to all the plants. I am not great at math so to play with a dechlorinator in the tap water makes me nervous as I am unsure of myself. I also have used this Activ•Betta water. Expensive but my water has 0 ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. tested at the pet store.

Attachments

• 20171230_171335.jpg
    20171230_171335.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 216

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back