Newbie Betta Mom

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

the Pet store manager said the pH is 6.5 or 7.0, but the water was test hard. I think it could be all the aquarium salt.

Also, you are correct. The Api betta water conditioner has aloe and green tea extract.

I also have used this Activ•Betta water
Activ•Betta water, is fish safe straight out of the bottle, it needs nothing added.

The water I use is bottled water I would drink
Unless the water you drink is Activ•Betta water please discontinue using it, bottled water made for human consumption is usually not fish safe.

Bottled water made for human consumption can have wide PH ranges, from as low as 3 to as high as 14 it can also have flavor enhancers and god knows what else added , and I am willing to bet this combined with salt is causing problems.

lol, the blue bottled Betta water i what I have been using, but I would alternate it with the fresh bottled drinking water (Poland Springs) I drink when I have no blue bottled water. That small bottle us 4.50 + tax per bottle.

I am waiting for a shipment of Betta•Water from my pet/fish shop. I am warming people bottled water for tomorrow if the betta water shipment has not come in. Am I still to use 2 1/2 tsp. of aquarium salt wih another 50% water change? If not, what can I put into the warmed eater if you don't like betta water conditioner?

Am I still to use 2 1/2 tsp. of aquarium salt wih another 50% water change?
NO. You are adding way too much salt.
Let me explain.

You tank is 2.5 gallons right? So you would add 2.5 tsp of salt initially.

When you change 50% of the water 1 gallon, you would add 1 tsp of salt to treat the new water only. You need to get rid of the salt from the water the only way to do this is water changes.

I did do exactly that. Thank you again for the clarification. What should I do for Sunday. Leave him alone for a day? Then, what of Monday? I did a test of his water early this evening and everything was in range except the GH Test which was 180.

By the way, he started swimming a little to explore his new home. Still refusing food.

If you have the water do another 50% water change, Poland Spring water is ok as far as I know I have seen it recommended a few times on different forums.

the blue bottled Betta water i what I have been using, but I would alternate it with the fresh bottled drinking water (Poland Springs)

Do you mean you have been using Betta water at one water change then Poland Springs water at the next water change, then Betta water at the next water change, etc?
This is not good. You should use the same water all the time. The two types of water probably have different pH and mineral content, and you need to keep the tank water with the constant pH and minerals. If you want to use both, they should be mixed before adding to the tank in exactly the same proportions at every water change.

Most of us use tap water treated with a dechlorinator. My water company adds chlorine (rather than chloramine) so I use API Tap Water Conditioner. This doesn't contain the aloe vera that Nick mentioned and it is very concentrated - it takes 1 drop per gallon of new water.

I am so grateful to find such kind people to help me save my betta and to learn. The reason I may mix up my water changes between betta- water and spring water is because the store has run out of supply. My local Petsmart and Petco don't carry betta-water. I am waiting a shipment from the store. So, I will be consistant and mix both together at every water change. The small betta-water bottle is very expensive at approx.$4.85 cents and 33.8 fluid ounces (1 liter). 2 gallons of spring water is cheaper $2.50. So, because I was treating my betta with acquarium salt for body rot, Nick recommended, stop using salt and I did yesterday, 50% water change with 1/2 tsp. gal of salt to wean it out and return to untreated clear water. I am to do another 50% water change and I currently have 78 degree spring water ready. I only have API Betta water conditioner and Stress Coat. Today, the pet store will call me if the water shipment came in. I have a 2.5 gal Aqueon BettaBow with an inch of gravel and fern plants and moss ball. A picture is provided in prior threads. What should I do today based upon this scenario thread. I thank both Nick and yourself with your patience with me.

Nick recommended, stop using salt and I did yesterday, 50% water change with 1/2 tsp.
Why add salt? You have too much salt in the water already.

The way to "wean him off" salt is by doing water changes and adding no salt afterwards. The new water will dilute the salt already there. If you change half the water and don't add salt, you'll get tank water with half the salt it had before the water change. The next 50% water change will remove half of the remaining salt - that is, a quarter of the salt that was there before the first water change. It will take a few water changes to get rid of all the salt.

Why add salt? You have too much salt in the water already.
Apologies, you misunderstand me or it is how I am trying to convey my thoughts that I have you confused. I did not and have not yet done a 50% water change today. I am hoping the Betta-water delivery comes today. When I do my change.. I promise and understand, "no more salt".

The way to "wean him off" salt is by doing water changes and adding no salt afterwards. The new water will dilute the salt already there. If you change half the water and don't add salt, you'll get tank water with half the salt it had before the water change. The next 50% water change will remove half of the remaining salt - that is, a quarter of the salt that was there before the first water change. It will take a few water changes to get rid of all the salt.

I will not use salt, and I have not yet made a 50 water change. I do have a gallon of 78 degree spring water ready, but I am hoping the pet store calls today about the betta-water delivery before I do anything. He at 2 pellets for the first time in about 2 weeks this morning. He was looking for more food, and I put a small amount of defrosted blood worms. He didn't eat them and they sank. I will see what tomorrow brings as I wants to take out the uneaten blood worms when I do that water change. Question, unrelated to the water. My female betta has a Cory ground feeder with her. they get along very well and he eats the bottom food. Can I get one for my male betta tank to consume uneaten food?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back