Newbie Betta Mom

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Cories are shoaling fish and must be kept in a group of at least 6 with more being better. They should be fed sinking pellets, and should not be left to eat food the other fish don't eat. They also need a sand substrate.

There should be no uneaten food in a betta's tank. They should be fed a small number of floating betta pellets per meal (the actual number depending on the size of the pellets and the fish), and if they are anything like my male betta, he waits at the surface as I drop each pellet in the tank one by one and he eats them so fast its almost like he's inhaling them. He always wants more than it is good for him to have. There is never any waste with my fish.
If you have left over food with either your male or female, you are feeding them too much.

Thank you for your response. My female and Cory get along nicely. My female betta comes to me on the surface and I alternate pellets, flakes and the occassional frozen thawed blood worms. Cory likes anything, most importantly the bottom feeder pellets. I monitor what is not eaten and scoop it up with the fish net. I leave the bottom feeder pellets.
My male is in his own Aqueon BettaBow 2.5 with live fern plants and moss ball. His health has taken a positive turn. His fins show improvement. He is greeting me for his pellets and eating again and swimming. I am a happy betta mom. Tomorrow another 50% water change is due to remove the last of the aquarium salt that I used to treat the fin rot. I have placed a clean filter cartridge in the water to circulate the good bacteria from the original filter. Can I swap out the filters after 24 hours when I do the 50% water change? The water nitrite and nitrate level is at 0. The pH is between 6.5/7.0. The water reads 180 hard. I believe it is caused by the aquarium salt I want to filter out. Any suggestions. Please and thankyou.

Good to hear hes doing Betta.

In future if one of your fish is not well don't as a petshop for advice come straight here.

All the best for the new year
Nick.

Nick,
I thank you on behalf of "Fishie". No more pet shop fish advice. I do have a question though..... can you recommend a good mini gravel cleaner easy to use for my 2.5 gal Aqueon Betta-Bow tank?
The best of wishes to you for a healthy and happy New Year.

he is hiding on the leaf is the upper left corner. here is the pic of Aqueon BettaBow 2.5. thanks again.
I have the exact same tank with my Betta in it! Hes doing really well and has been in there since the day I liberated him from Pet Supplies Plus.

Matt,
Ironically, I bought my Male and female Bettas from Pet Supplies Plus. This store is clean and their tanks and fish are well cared for. I wish I could afford to buy those poor fish that are sadly in those little cups. A betta rescue if I could afford the tanks and a room.

I agree with you, the Betta that are in pet stores seem terribly unhappy. What you could do though is get a 10 or 20 gallon tank and rescue more to a community tank, as long as they are all females. I had 8 in a 10 gallon years ago and they all did fine together.You should have atleast 3 females though so they can create a pecking order, one will become the queen fish and the aggression will be evened out.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back