New Plants Added To Tank With Shrimps

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jimboshrimp

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all I have just been reading some threads on here and came across one which states new plants bought from LFS eg pets at home are mostly dosed with insecticide which kill the shrimps :(
I didn't know this and thought maybe I wasn't the only one and thought to post it in a new thread :)
It does say best to buy plants from someone you know who hasn't used insecticide and there are people on here that are selling them safely and cheaper than LFS .
I hope I haven't stepped on anyone's toes putting this on but really thought it was good to know and why some of my shrimps died mysteriously .
Angie

It's all true, yeah. They are treated with chemicals to get rid of snails and they're usually copper based which isn't good for shrimp at all. There's a range of plants out there that are snail free and shrimp safe, so have a look and see what you think.

I'm glad you posted (reposted?) this, as I had not seen this before.  Fortunately, I got all my plants thus far from other hobbyists.  Whew!

This seems to be a problem with plants from outside the EU as they often use chemicals that are illegal within the EU but legal there.
I've had a shrimp wipeout due to suspect plants from Singapore, now I only buy plants raised within the EU & even then I quarantine for two weeks with plenty of water changes.
Pfk did an article about it a year or so ago, will see if I can find it.
Edit - found it here http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=4831

I learnt this one the hard way.  Any plants from within the EU should be OK (Tropica is a good example), anything from out side the EU is a nono as they have to be treated under EU law.

Always ask at your LFS and if they can't answer the question then don't buy.

Glad it was of help and thanks I will have a look at the posts links :)
Angie

Ive just read the article from PFK WOW some poor people lost almost all their shrimps after adding new plants and literally within minutes too
sad.png
they had to do drastic measures to save some and even then most didn't survive .
The message I got clearly is to wash and wash and re wash all plants before adding them and quarantine if possible before adding to make sure all signs of chemicals are gone, and definitely buy within EU plants preferably not by on online  means unless you can be absolutely sure of their safety.
I will definitely be asking more questions now when I need to buy some more and as you say if they can't answer won't buy.
Angie

As mentioned above, Tropica do lab grown plants which are all guaranteed snail free and shrimp safe. They've also got a handy guide for how difficult or easy the plants are to look after.

I've always gone for easy as I've got a very low tech setup and they've all been really good!

Thanks I will look at tropica :)yeah and easy is good for me lol  I seem to learn something new every time I come on here :)

That's what a good forum should be all about. 

And this is a good forum with some passionate experts (not me) more than willing to help!

I'd be lost without it , just wish I'd found it before doing fish in cycle but all's well now thanks to these guys :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back