New Juwel Rio 180

thats one way.but you're wasting power to get reduced lighting and if using the internal filter,the inlet will constantly get clogged.

Just ordered my T8 light unit ( Not just the Bulbs!Thanks Kane) The tank should arrive tomorrow or the day after.

Been reading the PARC forum, just decieding on the types of plants to start off with,

Also need to look into the powerhead!
can anyone recommend a good for me and explain exactly how it works! is it a stand alone piece i place in a different location to the filter to ensure water is circulating around the whole tank, or is it something i attach to the filter to increase the output?

I use a Hydor Koralia Nano in my 180.Not the cheapest (£20-£25).900 LPH

My internal filter is back right, pointing down the back wall of the tank.The powerhead is on the front left, pushing water along the front of the tank, back towards the filter.

Powerheads are like a small propeller enclosed in a plastic guard.They attach to tank via magnets.

Thanks Stu,

Read your journal, Tank looks great mate.

In a heavily planted tank, the plants produce lots of oxygen, so i don't have to look at something else for surface agitation? is that correct?

I have run "low tech" setups with a lot more light than this: it is possible and not particularly difficult, but does require one to go truly heavily planted right from the start and I do recommend lots of floating plants.

I have run "low tech" setups with a lot more light than this: it is possible and not particularly difficult, but does require one to go truly heavily planted right from the start and I do recommend lots of floating plants.

Wish you posted that before i bought the light unit! HAHA

Does anyone want to buy a brand new juwel rio 180 T5 light unit?!

I'm beginning to think that this is the mistake i've been making.I've been slowly reducing plant mass, or at least replacing quick growers with slower growing plants.Haven't worked out floating plants & Juwel filter intake not clogging yet.
Not sure i understand the point in having 'Highlite' lighting and then blocking it out with floating plants.

"Low tech" is a bit of a misnomer, I think more accurate description should be "the lazy arsed way" ;) Basically, you rely on plants to do the work, but slow growers can't do it for you because algae out-competes them, so one needs a combination of different plants to out-compete the algae. Fast growing plants are best, but it's also fine to have a few slow growers in the shade under the fast growers, where the fast growers won't do quite so well. Think about what else the floating plants will do except reduce light for the sane plants ;)

Still, it is trial and error for which exact species will work for you and if this method works at all. I find it easiest to start with as many undemanding species as possible, then some take to the tank and some don't. But just for the record, my best "low tech" tank was a 100 litre, 4ft job (only 12" deep) with 216 W of T5s over it (I got an excellent deal on a luminaire, wasn't about to complain!).

"Low tech" is a bit of a misnomer, I think more accurate description should be "the lazy arsed way" ;) Basically, you rely on plants to do the work, but slow growers can't do it for you because algae out-competes them, so one needs a combination of different plants to out-compete the algae. Fast growing plants are best, but it's also fine to have a few slow growers in the shade under the fast growers, where the fast growers won't do quite so well. Think about what else the floating plants will do except reduce light for the sane plants ;)

Still, it is trial and error for which exact species will work for you and if this method works at all. I find it easiest to start with as many undemanding species as possible, then some take to the tank and some don't. But just for the record, my best "low tech" tank was a 100 litre, 4ft job (only 12" deep) with 216 W of T5s over it (I got an excellent deal on a luminaire, wasn't about to complain!).

good.gif

to heavily plant from the begining how many plants do you think i will need for a 180L

This fish tank thing is getting more and more expensive by the day! Wife is starting to clock how much i'm spending Lol.

I'll have to buy her a pair of shoes to keep her quiet at this rate!

to heavily plant from the begining how many plants do you think i will need for a 180L
I recommend you go for maybe 20-40 pots worth to start with, if not more. One of the benefits of the online retailer I recommended is that they often throw in freebies for large orders, but you might be better off getting plants from hobbyists as they're cheaper usually… but more likely to have algae on them. I know of a forum where one can occasionally get some freebies or bundles.

This fish tank thing is getting more and more expensive by the day! Wife is starting to clock how much i'm spending Lol.
Plants pay for themselves, eventually you will need to cut them back and the cuttings sell.

Also, keep the T5s for the moment, you might want to switch back at some point.

something you mentioned earlier about: silent cycle, could you send me a link to the correct thread for this as i'm definitley getting confused about the type of cycling i'm doing!

can't remeber quite where i read it now but it goes along something like this: for a low tech set up

1. Buy tank, accesories, lights,
2. Non rich substrate
3. Heavily Plant from the outset
4. no ferts
5. no dosing
6. add fish

7. sit back relax and watch

well theres 10 more minutes left of delivery time today, and i'm not getting that happy feeling. Reminds me of the song from the littlest hobo.

MAYBE TOMORROW

My T8 Light unit is here! Woo Hoo

But still no tank!

i want to buy a niece peice of bogwood for the tank the question is

Q1 Where do most people soak theirs?

Q2 Should i be patient and wait another 2 weeks and soak the bogwood in the tank, or should i soak it somewhere else? carry on setting up the tank then disturbe everything and add it to the tank when it's ready later?

thanks again for all the advice already given, but i shall unashamedly keeping plugging for info

Thanks guys

Most reactions

Back