New Juwel Rio 180

baldeagle

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I Should take delivery of my new tank next week, and am looking for some advice on the setup.

Substrate that i'm going to use is: JBL AquaBasis plus – long-term nutrient substrate mixture, with a top layer of: JBL Sansibar white, fine gravel for aquariums.

I will also be using: JBL Ferropol – liquid basic fertiliser - JBL Ferropol 24 – daily fertiliser.

Lighting is: T5 High-Lite Light Unit 100 cm, 2 x 45 W

200w heater.

I shall be heavily planting the tank to attempt a low tech planted tank. I have read the threads on here about it and also followed the links to the Barrepeport. Any further advice will be greatly apprecaited!

Will these lights be ok for this type of setup and for how long should i run them for?

Will add photo's as i move along.

Hi mate

Having had a rio 180 with those T5s, they're pretty strong for that volume of water and you may have some problems. I would suggest you run them for about 5hours to minimise any algae growth.

Are you running co2? Only because you have high light and ferts so you need to balance this with some increased co2.

I found it difficult to have a low tech with the lighting that these rios come with you see, another member on here stu40 has just replaced his t5s with the t8 unit for the Rio. Therefore decreasing the need for ferts and co2 and also allowing him to increase the lighting period to 8hours.

I might be tempted not to dose, just have the nutrient substrate and lighting and see how you go.

Hi mate

Having had a rio 180 with those T5s, they're pretty strong for that volume of water and you may have some problems. I would suggest you run them for about 5hours to minimise any algae growth.

Are you running co2? Only because you have high light and ferts so you need to balance this with some increased co2.

I found it difficult to have a low tech with the lighting that these rios come with you see, another member on here stu40 has just replaced his t5s with the t8 unit for the Rio. Therefore decreasing the need for ferts and co2 and also allowing him to increase the lighting period to 8hours.

I might be tempted not to dose, just have the nutrient substrate and lighting and see how you go.

Thanks for your reply,

I wasn't planning on using co2 as i don't want to get to complcicated as i'm pretty new to this. However having only just bought the tank i don't want to spend any more money on changing the bulbs.

If i dont do the daily dosing, with this substrate, and 5 hours of light, do you think this would be ok? or maybe go for a different substrate? one with less nutrients in it?

JBL seems to be the only choice i can find for substrates where i'm living (Germany)

Hi mate

Not much to add here. With the light and ferts you have your tank does not look so low-tech.
Low tech:

Low-light
Low or no Co2
Low or no ferts

you have

Medium to high light
No co2
High ferts since you are planning to use fertile soil and liguid ferts.

With plants you either go Low or High tech.
Because any unbalance give's you algae.

I'm not saying for you to go high tech, but to make it work requires some extra effort from you, cut the light hours like it was said before. Do a lot of water changes untill the tank has enough plants in it to stabilize and try to put as much fast growing plants in it as possible.
Because that extra lights and ferts without co2 and a lot and fast growing plants is just food for algae.The regular water changes will remove the excess nutrients that your plants don't use.Algae thrive on anything the plants don't take.
You can try to add co2 without going high tech. There's some cheap options i used to have the nutrafin kit.Or you can go for the baking soda formula i used that one also before with sucess.

But most of all don't waste your money without really researching what you wan't to do and need for your tank.

I haven't bought any substrate or ferts yet so it's not to late to change a few things (or alot of things). Haven't even got the tank yet.

glad i've posted as i seem to be alot more confused than i thought!

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Just checked out some T8 lights as replacements, not as expensive as i thought so i will change these when the tank comes.

Could you recomend the right type of substrate for a low tech plantted tank, as i clearly had it all backwards on my own

Thanks again

You will need the whole T8 unit, not just the bulbs. Sorry if you already knew that, just want to make sure you understand.

A good plant substrate is fine in a high tech or low tech, its just that in a low tech you will not dose any other fert (or only small amounts). Use what you were going for if you want, or other people can advise on different substrates.

You didnt have it backwards at all, and the fact you understand what were saying means you have done your research, but you're probably just lacking a bit of experience. It just requires a bit more balance than you had.

the T5 lights are quite strong for the Rio 180, We limit ours to 8hrs per day with the plants we have and they seem to be doing well.. We just have standard gravel and use Seachem Flourish Excel and the Tetra CO2 Optimat.. Not sure if its the ideal setup but so far its working with no issues.

When i started my set up was very similar to what you're planning.When i ran the T5 for 8 hrs with light stock levels and quick growing plants like vallis, Hygro Difformis & E.densa everything was fine,

did large water changes every week for first couple of months.

Long story short, more fish, changed to slower growing plants, meant adding Co2 (for me Easycarbo).Putting lighting down to 5 hrs helped.

I'm lazy, and don't want to keep doing 50% W.C every week.Not saying i couldn't have made it work, but decided to go for T8's for easier life (hopefully)

If you're at all interested i've got a planted journal going.In fact, apart from helping me remember what i did, and when: i guess the journals are there to help out others who may be or plan to be in a similar position, in terms of kit/ideas

Oh yeah, you really should consider a powerhead if you're going to stick with the internal filter.In a planted tank, you will get dead spots if you rely on the Juwel.

It might not sound like it, but i really like my Rio 180.

When i started my set up was very similar to what you're planning.When i ran the T5 for 8 hrs with light stock levels and quick growing plants like vallis, Hygro Difformis & E.densa everything was fine,

Long story short, more fish, changed to slower growing plants, meant adding Co2 (for me Easycarbo).Putting lighting down to 5 hrs helped.

I'm lazy, and don't want to keep doing 50% W.C every week.Not saying i couldn't have made it work, but decided to go for T8's for easier life (hopefully)

If you're at all interested i've got a planted journal going.In fact, apart from helping me remember what i did, and when: i guess the journals are there to help out others who may be or plan to be in a similar position, in terms of kit/ideas

Oh yeah, you really should consider a powerhead if you're going to stick with the internal filter.In a planted tank, you will get dead spots if you rely on the Juwel.

Upgrading to the 1000 or 1500 L/PH powerhead should sort the dead spot issue.. The standard 600 you get with the tank is ok for minimal stocking

You will need the whole T8 unit, not just the bulbs. Sorry if you already knew that, just want to make sure you understand.

Can you enlighten me a bit more on the lighting units, take it easy though! i just started a new job, moved house and researching like mad for a new tank, My head is gonna explode!

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far am learning a lot

[/quote]

[/quote]

Tank is gonna be another week or so now, so i will get stuck into your journal,

Basically the unit is a long black thing with a ballast inside. It sits on the top of the tank, obviously lol and two tubes that run down each side. If you search juwel t8 light unit on ebay you will see what i mean.

You see t5s are thinner than t8s which is why they only fit in a specific unit

Instead of buying a t8 light unit to reduce light, why not cram in some floating plants?
Light intensity decreases (to the plants on the substrate) therefore the CO2 demand of the plants should also decrease.
Floating plants have access to CO2 via the atmosphere so should be fine.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back