New Fishless Cycle Or Move Over Media?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mwood2

Fish Addict
Reaction score
so I am trying to decide weather or not to start a new fishless cycle or just move the contents of my 10 gallon over to my 30 gallon. The build in filter of it can hold all of the media from my aqua clear and I can just toss in my fluval. This leaves room for even more media still. From what I would guess though is that I would still have to wait awhile before I can add more fish? Of course after I move everything from my 10 gallon I plan to clean it and take out the gravel and replace with sand and turn into a puffer tank. So basicly I would have to cycle one but which do you think is the best choice?

You shouldn't have to cycle either tank. Move the media across to the big tank as you describe. Move all the fish at the same time. That is very important. Try to fill the remainder of the space in the filter with new media too.

You should test for a few day to a week to make sure you don't have any ammonia spikes, but you shouldn't see any.

Whilst leaving the new tank to settle in, clear out the 10g and set up as a puffer tank. When ready, take 1/3 of your media from the big tank over to the small tank again. Make sure to replace it again with new media.

Add the puffers straight away when you move the media. Again, very important. Test both tanks every day for a week for ammonia and nitrite.

If ammonia or nitrite does appear, you need to start water changes immediately and keep the levels below 0.25ppm at all times.

2 cycled tanks, no cycling required!

Hope that helps. :good:

BTT

note to say: don't add any more fish in the periods when you are testing for ammonia and nitrite. Whilst the filters should cope, they won't be at full strength and you need to give them a week or two to catch up before adding any further stock.

Good luck! :good:

I also plan to move over all the plants and decor but it wont really be able to provide alot of cover, is it fine to just get more slowly or should I look into more before doing the change?

It should be fine just to move what you have and get more later, but it would depend on what fish you have. If you have fish which particularly need hiding places, it may be wise to get the extra decor first.

What fish do you have?

Also, make sure you move the plants over too (I assume they are live plants?) as they will help to use up any ammonia which may appear.

yea I use live plants. my fish are located in my sig. here is a pic of my 10 gallon, my 30 gallon is an average sized one.

100_1238.jpg

Actually there are maybe half dozen more plants and some extra drift wood. Plants are:

2 Anubis
3-4 Amazon Swords
2 Kyoto Grass
4 Aponogetons
1 Java Fern

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back