New Camera

completely. tbh, i used the d40 for AGES without upgrading the lenses.

you can buy (bit not cheap mind) an all in one lens.

i dont mean to sound like im battering you into a corner though :fun:

Thats the whole point really, expense isnt an issue, but i cant see the point in buying a £600-£700 camera to gain a little more knowledge/expertese

I don't think they are a little dated at all. I can only talk from my experiences and both the cameras I recommended will do what you want and a whole lot more and do it very well.

In particular, the s9600 has an optical zoom range 10.7x.

I don't think they are a little dated at all. I can only talk from my experiences and both the cameras I recommended will do what you want and a whole lot more and do it very well.

In particular, the s9600 has an optical zoom range 10.7x.

Out of the list then would you recommend that camera above say the lumix? or are they all pretty much as good as each other within reason?, apart from the obvious manual zoom/focus or whatever it has lol

youve kinda nailed it there jake, its mearly about the name, a £50 can sometimes outshine a £150 camera, it all depends on who you think is best, IMO for stand alone cameras you cant beat olympus, but again, some people will only have sony/lumnix/fuji cameras as they are a well known name

Thats the whole point really, expense isnt an issue, but i cant see the point in buying a £600-£700 camera to gain a little more knowledge/expertese

im not on about £6-700, im on about under £200.....

The trouble with the Lumix as far as I'm concerned is the motorised zoom. Personally I wouldn't have a motorised zoom camera thrown at me, they simply aren't fast enough and have the added drawback of using too much power from the batteries.

im not on about £6-700, im on about under £200.....

I know but the fact that this is an ease you in brand new camera, compared to a slr which for that sort of money, would be extreamly well used, much older and obviously dated.

I can quite easily go out and buy a £brand new nikon worth £1000 but what would be the point to ease me into photgrapthy?, when a bridge camera will do exactly what i want it to do, be brand new and as i metion be a good beginner sort of camera.

I can see where your coming from with the 'why dont you do slr now, saves you spending the money in 12mnths time', however in 12mnths time i might really get into it and go for a much more of an expensive camera. either way the camera weather i buy slr or a bridge camera for £200 will be upgraded in 12mnths time, so i might aswell buy brand new now and still upgrade eitherw ay at a later date

The trouble with the Lumix as far as I'm concerned is the motorised zoom. Personally I wouldn't have a motorised zoom camera thrown at me, they simply aren't fast enough and have the added drawback of using too much power from the batteries.

Does the s95/9600 not have both then?, motorised and a manual zoom?. The whole point is really to ease me in and the fact that it would be a manual zoom, i may aswell just buy full slr in that case, or am i just missing something?

Both the s9500 and the s9600 both have a manual zoom only, which is a big plus in my book.

I find a manual zoom far quicker, easier, less noisy and better on battery consumption.

Both the s9500 and the s9600 both have a manual zoom only, which is a big plus in my book.

Ahhh rite, see thats not really what im looking for. I know exactly where your coming from when you mean motorised are slow but for me to buy a manual zoom only , i may aswell go buy slr, and have better options.

Haych, i havent ruled out cheaper slr's for now, infact you have made me think about it even more lol, im just a little torn between the fact what i need it for a bridge would be fine and the afct that either way it will be upgraded.

confused me on that one,

the d40 ISNT outdated, its still readily sold. if its brand new you want (i can understand this nothing can beat a good old receipt), then you can get new for £250 at tesco.....

but at the end of the day, its your choice :D

confused me on that one,

the d40 ISNT outdated, its still readily sold. if its brand new you want (i can understand this nothing can beat a good old receipt), then you can get new for £250 at tesco.....

but at the end of the day, its your choice :D

Outdated purely means that there are far supurier models around NOW, doesnt mean that the model mentioned isnt still sold.

It's like a PS3, the PS2 is still sold but it's dated, you would try to opt always for the PS3, bad example but best i could come up with pmsl

lol i see your point.

but actually, i PERSONALLY would still choose a d40 over a bigger model, as it does the same as the newer model, just slightly less pixels, which as i said you dont notice.

a ps3 for example, is slightly different, as it generally does do more than a ps2, and ps2 games are being phased out (trying to use your analisys as an example not diss you)

if we use a blu ray player for example, i still woud use and prefer a standard dvd player, as a standrad dvd player can be used with ANY tv, yet a blu ray is only compatible with HD ready/enabled tv's

FishyJake13 said:
Ahhh rite, see thats not really what im looking for. I know exactly where your coming from when you mean motorised are slow but for me to buy a manual zoom only , i may aswell go buy slr, and have better options.

It just occurred to me, that you may be confusing auto focus with motorised zoom. If that's the case let me assure you that both cameras I recommended have auto focus. In fact they have the following: Full auto mode where the camera sets everything for you and all you need to do is zoom and press the shutter release button. Shutter priority, aperture priority and full manual.

They also have a manual focus should you feel the need to use it, but I never found any situation where that was necessary.

If you Google the s9500 and the s9600 you'll find plenty of in depth reviews of both cameras.

FishyJake13 said:

It just occurred to me, that you may be confusing auto focus with motorised zoom. If that's the case let me assure you that both cameras I recommended have auto focus. In fact they have the following: Full auto mode where the camera sets everything for you and all you need to do is zoom and press the shutter release button. Shutter priority, aperture priority and full manual.

They also have a manual focus should you feel the need to use it, but I never found any situation where that was necessary.

If you Google the s9500 and the s960 you'll find plenty of in depth reviews of both cameras.

Yes your quite right, thats exactly what i thought :blush:, i did say new to all this lol, in that case really im tempted :), will see what other views and replies i get to any more info, suggestions/recommendations :)

But thankyou so far, very helpfull :)

lol i see your point.

but actually, i PERSONALLY would still choose a d40 over a bigger model, as it does the same as the newer model, just slightly less pixels, which as i said you dont notice.

a ps3 for example, is slightly different, as it generally does do more than a ps2, and ps2 games are being phased out (trying to use your analisys as an example not diss you)

if we use a blu ray player for example, i still woud use and prefer a standard dvd player, as a standrad dvd player can be used with ANY tv, yet a blu ray is only compatible with HD ready/enabled tv's

LOL, yes but in all honesty if your analogy of the PS3 is that, then the camera must have the same basis ie.. better pixels, updated software, better handling etc etc... All basically what a PS3 does with graphics etc, the more updated and better models must do more otherwise there would be no market, basically the same as you said for the PS3.

Anyways enough on none camera talk, im semi confused enough as it is, without having to think about anything else lol :p

Probably looking to buy within the next 2 weeks peeps so any other suggestions are apprieciated :).

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 is looking favourite at the moment, looks and feels really nice, great reviews and seems that it would be the complete all round camera for my needs.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back