New Camera

JenCliBee

PleC & CorY MaD
Reaction score
Hi all, ive decided to buy a new camera, im no expert in this field and basically have gone purely off reviews :)

I want a superzoom/bridge camera, something nice and very good.

Ive narrowed down a few but still open to suggestions, price limit max is £200.

Here are a few ive been looking at, which if you had the choice would you go for, or which others would you suggest?

Fujifilm FinePix S1500
Fujifilm FinePix S8100fd
Fujifilm FinePix S2000HD
Fujifilm FinePix S1000fd
Fujifilm FinePix S9500
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18

Just a few that ive been looking at, i can get these for either £200 or less NEW but which one would you choose?

Has to be this kinda style (dslr), this camera will be basically easying me into eventually a full brown dslr

Thanks

you can get a nikon D40 (i have one) for UNDER £200!

and the quality would be better than any up there.

always go for a DSLR where possible, the camera can cope so much better with the quality.

avoid sony DSLR's though as theyre still in training shoes!

ok, prices have changed, just looked on ebay.

but i know you can get them cheap ish lol

you can get a nikon D40 (i have one) for UNDER £200!

and the quality would be better than any up there.

always go for a DSLR where possible, the camera can cope so much better with the quality.

avoid sony DSLR's though as theyre still in training shoes!

I think i would have body only if i brought a d40 for £200, and the fact that i want a bridge camera sort of makes it pointless looking really, if i was to find a d40 for under £200 with lense it will probably be battered and extreamly well used.

I will eventually buy a dslr but i wouldnt go for bottom of the pile i would want a much better camera when i do, i want something to ease me into all that without spending a fortune to start with

problem with a superzoom camers is that they use digital zoom, not optical, and image quality is seriously affected outside the optical zoom range

dont get me wrong there are some fantastic cameras out there (a few kodak ones and samsung for example) but nothing compares to an SLR
but price is always a factor

problem with a superzoom camers is that they use digital zoom, not optical, and image quality is seriously affected outside the optical zoom range

dont get me wrong there are some fantastic cameras out there (a few kodak ones and samsung for example) but nothing compares to an SLR

Like i said im far from an expert on this field but what ive read the zooms are optical?.. ie the lumix for instance says 18x optical zoom?

Personally, I'd recommend the s9500 or the s9600 models. This is because both those models have a manual zoom which is far better than any of the motorised zooms of the others. Not only does it make zooming quick, it also saves a lot of battery power.

I have owned both the s9500 and the s9600 and loved them both. I was particularly into insect photography and found the super macro mode great on both cameras.

DutchKev said:

The above cameras all use optical zooms, but also have digital zooms if required, but I personally never had to use anything other than the optical zoom.

if you look, you can find a good DSLR.

i was lucky and got mine in the grand opening of the wednesbury currys for £180 brand new.

what do you want a camera for?

your normal digi cams are great for standard pics, but if you go to the zoo, you cant beat a good SLR (admittedly a long range lens helps too)

i would not change my D40 for anything, and it classed as a "beginners camera" but the quality is amazing, and gives many cameras a run for the money, you only see the pixel difference if you print in A3 size. the one i use is a 6.1, then theres the 10.2 (i think it is), and mine can still look as good as the 10MP camera, unless i print of MASSIVE pics

Like i said im far from an expert on this field but what ive read the zooms are optical?.. ie the lumix for instance says 18x optical zoom?

it will be pants - it will look grainy / pixelated

Personally, I'd recommend the s9500 or the s9600 models. This is because both those models have a manual zoom which is far better than any of the motorised zooms of the others. Not only does it make zooming quick, it also saves a lot of battery power.

I have owned both the s9500 and the s9600 and loved them both. I was particularly into insect photography and found the super macro mode great on both cameras.

[quote 'DutchKev']problem with a superzoom camers is that they use digital zoom, not optical, and image quality is seriously affected outside the optical zoom range

The above cameras all use optical zooms, but also have digital zooms if required, but I personally never had to use anything other than the optical zoom.
[/quote]

Cheers for the suggestion m8, i can see the advantage with manual zoom but arnt these camera's a little dated?, be nice im very new lol :p

The option of a big zoom is also the advantage, gives me the best of both worlds when shooting distance pics aswell

if you look, you can find a good DSLR.

i was lucky and got mine in the grand opening of the wednesbury currys for £180 brand new.

what do you want a camera for?

your normal digi cams are great for standard pics, but if you go to the zoo, you cant beat a good SLR (admittedly a long range lens helps too)

i would not change my D40 for anything, and it classed as a "beginners camera" but the quality is amazing, and gives many cameras a run for the money, you only see the pixel difference if you print in A3 size. the one i use is a 6.1, then theres the 10.2 (i think it is), and mine can still look as good as the 10MP camera, unless i print of MASSIVE pics

It will be used for varying things, nature, zoo's, out and about with the baby and dog so basically i want an all in one cmaera which has everything basically so i dont have to change lenses for different sceanarios if the opotinity comes up... Hope that made sense lol

you would be better with a standard camera then buddy, not SLR, there are tonnes cropping up now for cheap (although with xmas looming prices are starting to creap up again)

completely. tbh, i used the d40 for AGES without upgrading the lenses.

you can buy (bit not cheap mind) an all in one lens.

i dont mean to sound like im battering you into a corner though :fun:

you would be better with a standard camera then buddy, not SLR, there are tonnes cropping up now for cheap (although with xmas looming prices are starting to creap up again)

Yep exactly what i thought, and thats why i opted and looked at the ones i listed above, i will buy slr when i am better, am more experienced but for now the fact that it's an ease my way in sort of thing, a bridge will be sufficient lol

lol thats just kev :p

i was a beginner, and i had the d40 and loved it.

i just (imo) dont see why you should go out, buy a camera, say £200, then go and buy another a year down the line cause you want better, for say £250... when you coulda bought one to last years...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back