My Fish Room

hi jollysue
glad u settled in well and ure fish did 2 :good:

"settled in"?

It looks more like an occupation. Sheesh! Next I bet she shows us some pics of tanks on the ceiling.

(That's just jealousy talking).

Hmm! I will have to look into that, CoryDad. <<Tanks on the ceiling, Hmmm?>> she mumbles thoughtfully while wandering off to the fishroom to see where they might go.

There are some new fish coming next week. Oh! Yes! and some Plec perhaps this weekend

hi jollysue
glad u settled in well and ure fish did 2 :good:

"settled in"?

It looks more like an occupation. Sheesh! Next I bet she shows us some pics of tanks on the ceiling.

(That's just jealousy talking).

Hmm! I will have to look into that, CoryDad. <<Tanks on the ceiling, Hmmm?>> she mumbles thoughtfully while wandering off to the fishroom to see where they might go.

There are some new fish coming next week. Oh! Yes! and some Plec perhaps this weekend

<smacks forehead>

I couldn't imagine having to take care of all of those!! I get tired of taking care of the two that I have! (But I really want more) How does keeping them all in the same room save you money on electricity? Is it just for the heaters or everything?

Hi tangokitty,

heaters and lights mostly I think. I can also keep the air conditioning down a bit (or at least stay cooler for myself) since the tank temps are not raising the temps in the rest of the rooms. Before I had to just live at 75 degrees. That is way too hot for me to be comfortable. I am still getting the high temp fish on the upper racks and the low temp fish on the lower. Since all the tanks are in one room all the tanks together affect the ambient room temp. But now I have adjusted all the vents so more air is getting to the tanks.

The tank lights put off some heat. But that will likely reduce the need for the tank heaters to run as much in the winter. If there were not as many of the tanks planted I could just use the flourescent room lights.

As you are from CA you most likely know of Fresno's notoriously high summer temperatures. I had a little trouble adjusting the tank temps at first this summer. At the beginning of the summer in the first heat wave, the tanks were running 80 F. I lost a couple of peppers and some tetras to high room temps. But I seem to have it sorted out now. The albino peppers seem happy again with eggs all over their glass. :lol:

Hi tangokitty,

heaters and lights mostly I think. I can also keep the air conditioning down a bit (or at least stay cooler for myself) since the tank temps are not raising the temps in the rest of the rooms. Before I had to just live at 75 degrees. That is way too hot for me to be comfortable. I am still getting the high temp fish on the upper racks and the low temp fish on the lower. Since all the tanks are in one room all the tanks together affect the ambient room temp. But now I have adjusted all the vents so more air is getting to the tanks.

The tank lights put off some heat. But that will likely reduce the need for the tank heaters to run as much in the winter. If there were not as many of the tanks planted I could just use the flourescent room lights.

As you are from CA you most likely know of Fresno's notoriously high summer temperatures. I had a little trouble adjusting the tank temps at first this summer. At the beginning of the summer in the first heat wave, the tanks were running 80 F. I lost a couple of peppers and some tetras to high room temps. But I seem to have it sorted out now. The albino peppers seem happy again with eggs all over their glass. :lol:

Room looks great Jollysue! I wish I had the space for that, but I don't, and it's part of the reason why I like nano fish so much. The new tank is really nice looking.

I understand about the weather. It gets hot and humid in Miami too. My Florida room can get to 80 in the summer. On the flip side, we don't use heat, so it can plunge to the mid-60s during the winter and I have to whip out heaters for the more delicate species. Other species, however, really like the dip in temperature.

Mid 60's!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

In the winter it can go to below 30 F (OK Canada and Massachuesettes, now you laugh!)

In the summer we can easily get a month of triple digits raising above 110 and even 120. In the winter it is below 50 and can stay below 40 reaching the upper 20's. Lots of work to keep our oranges safe.

So it is air conditioners most of the summer and heaters in the winter. Fall and Spring last a minute or two. This is not LA or San Francisco.

Thanks for the compliment on the tank. Coming from you it is highly valued!

Looking good. What new fish are you getting?

I just got some loaches and snails today and they all arrived nice and healthy.

From Bryan I was getting

25 hastatus.
6 loretoensis
6 pastanzensis
6 semiaquillus--but the semiaquillus have been pulled, and they have been replaced by the andreas aka cf stenocephalus.

I just purchased 10 1" marble fry, 2 lf female abn to join my male, 3 juvie abn w/lf genes to join my female abn with said genes, a pair of L180 and I have 2 male lf marbles and a pair of L182, as well as 2 commons dirtying up my semi African Tanganyikan Rift tank.

I have also just put hold on a group of juvie L46.

What did you get Barracuda? I was sorry of your mention of a loss due to electric failure--wasn't it?

From Bryan I was getting

25 hastatus.
6 loretoensis
6 pastanzensis
6 semiaquillus--but the semiaquillus have been pulled, and they have been replaced by the andreas aka cf stenocephalus.

I just purchased 10 1" marble fry, 2 lf female abn to join my male, 3 juvie abn w/lf genes to join my female abn with said genes, a pair of L180 and I have 2 male lf marbles and a pair of L182, as well as 2 commons dirtying up my semi African Tanganyikan Rift tank.

I have also just put hold on a group of juvie L46.

What did you get Barracuda? I was sorry of your mention of a loss due to electric failure--wasn't it?

Yeah, I lost a lot of cories a couple of months ago because of a power outage after a really bad storm. A lot of them I had for 2 years.

I got some loaches, but havent bought any cories in a long time.

The new tank: it isn't really finished, but it is started and got some residents today. They are not in the pics, but it has C. leucomelas to start. Later I will add sterbai, lf bronze, perhaps B. splendens and pantanalensis. But that may be too much.

Anyway the tank:

P7231795GaryLangeTank.jpg

P7231796GaryLangeTank.jpg

P7231799GLTank.jpg

P7231800GaryLangeTank.jpg

oh my goodness, can i please please please come and live with you, i promise not to touch :unsure:

thats is stunning in everyway..you must work your socks off in there, mobile air conditioning too?? i have never seen a fish room before and i want one!! no only joking my house wouldnt cope with the weight (made from dolls house wood)
the large tank with the moonlight WOW!!

its beautiful.fantastic,im jelous

well done,you deserve a medal :)

shelagh xxxxx

Most reactions

Back