My Discus Journal

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Just waiting for the pictures now then buddy :hey: +1 for the Hygrophila Polysperma idea, certainly a good plant, also very attractive. Especially in a tank your size where its got room to grow and reach a good size.

your discus are probably just hiding cos of the disturbance , im sure theyl settle again in a couple of days. and the tetras are probably thinking yay we aint gonna get eaten no more :lol:

now go get busy with the camera :good:

I;ve seen full szie whiptails about 6or so inches long longer with the fin extensions, beautiful fish as they get bigger. These 6 are really active and its hard doing a head count every night

I;m selling the clown loach. As much as I love them they seem to scare the discus now the angels have gone. the discus have not been settled since the angels left and haven;t eat as much. when they come out a loach bombs it past and scares the life out of them. Plus the clown loach I suspect are eating the shoots on the amazon sword plants

bummer just found one of the hoplos dried up on the top of the cover no idea when that leapt :sad:

bummer mate , same thing happened with my senegal bichir . must of got through 1 of the cutouts in the coverglass that the pipework gos into. i came home from work and found 1 very crispy bichir cooked by the lights :sick:

I love the wood great plant choice it looks good. BUT is that pretty tank in your Garage? It should be in a room so you can enjoy it always.

It is in the garage Snowflake :unsure:

If only I could fit it in the house but I suppose I have to accept that space for my 2 little cherubs is more important ha

When I eventually sell my house and move to a bigger one with a basement or room for me it will then come indoors and hopefully be replaced with a bigger one!! :good:

some comings and goings in my tank in last few days

I swapped the 4 clown loach for a big fat albino male bristlenose and his lovely quaint female lady
Also I couldn;t resist a L114 and L128 that were going really cheap by me at the weekend. Probably silly moves but they won;t compete with the discus for food or effect their confidence during the day

Big problem I am having is with the FX5 filter which is running so slowly there is no flow and as a result probably no filtration. will look into it properly tomorrow but certainly a problem

time for some new pics then!!!! have you removed the filter for maintainence lately mate? i had the same problem with 1 of my eheims. turned out that when i put it back in the cabinet and hooked it all back up i managed to put a kink in the return hose ( doh! )

I checked all the hosing last night and its fine

Will take it all apart on saturday when I'm off, early lazy night for me tonight was on call last night and got 7 calls from police between 1am and 5am so shattered

the fish are all hiding cos of all the disruption yesterday so will clean it up inside and out saturday and get some good pics then :good:

simon do you have any floss or extra pads in your FX5?

the reason i ask is because when i first got mine i added the FX5 floss and blue pads for extra water cleaning but they clogged up within a week or so and i was cleaning the dam things out every week :angry: since removing them the filters are running for a couple of months without the need to clean them out :hyper:

i cleaned one of mine out the other day and its amazing how much crap they get out of the water even without floss etc and the water is still crystal :good:

Hi Matt

I bought the filter second hand and it just had a tight with carbon and a long tight with some brown granule like sand in.the only other media was lots of filter wool type material . it was all in the centre trays and a lot in the top tray

I;ve now removed the tights of carbon and brown stuff and just put the filter wool inthe outer rings for now and put some plastic pond filter filter coils in the bottom two trays leaving the top one clear and its got great flow now.they are so easy to clean though compared to the last terrible resun filter I had

Will order some stuff today for it

the wool will 99% be the issue then mate. like i said mine lasted a week before the flow reduced by quite a bit almost stopped.... i removed the floss pad and all is well.
the FX5 seems to work at its best for longer when not packed with stuff so dont put too much in each tray and i would get some proper foam for the edges. this should solve the flow reduction mate :good:

going to go on the hagen website and buy whatever they have for the outer trays, as long as the tanks kept clean I'll be happy but they don;t half need flow,without flow the water and tank looked horible

Most reactions

Back