My Betta Percy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Goby I have a HUGE pearlweed clump for sale rn since I just tore up my carpet, will lower the price for you if you are interested.
Do a rock test, use vinegar on the rock and if it fizzes, it will alter chemistry. Pearlweed is one of those "any conditions" type of plant, it will live in Any condition but it growing, takes light and that's it.

Okay, so I am getting some money together now to buy the plants and rock. Have decided on anubias for the driftwood, and java fern for the rock. Possibly some crypts later down the track (as recommended by Nick). Expenses are tight these days, so it will probably take a while. If possible, I will eventually try to get some smaller pieces of driftwood as well. But, because there isn't much to update on (apart from feeding Percy mosquito larvae yesterday, forgot to film that again) I have a little horror story for you. By the way, it is true.

When I first got Percy, he was added into the tank, on the other side to where he is now (Klavier was later in that area, followed by, of course, Apollo). On his current side was the late Klavier, my sister's previous betta. They both flared at the divider, but it seemed pretty stable. After half an hour of observation, they were left to their own. Well, it's a lucky thing that I happened to come past. Somehow, Percy had gotten over, and they were next to each other, flaring. I almost had a heart attack at that point. I quickly tore off the lid, netted both fish and put the nets on either side of the tank. Long story short, materials were bought, a divider cut, and many edits to the setup made. Moral: Don't trust dividers completely.

Klavier, in his original (Petbarn sold) tank.

Attachments

• 20160206_121434.jpg
    20160206_121434.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 96
Okay, a very minor update. Tomorrow, I will crush a ramshorn snail or two for Percy (more advice from Nick). Let's hope he'll eat them. I put a mirror in front of the tank today (because I'm uncomfortable with putting one in the tank) and nothing happened. Percy just looked at it.

Remind me to put some plants near the filter next water change, because Percy seems to like lying there, out of the flow (which is relatively weak). I don't think that is bad, because as soon as he realises I'm there he swims over. I might also top up the tank, as the water level is lowish.

Okay, I forgot to update this with Apollo sick. The other day I crushed a snail and dropped down into his tank. He followed it down, then snapped at it a few times at the bottom, and lost interest. It was worth a try. I pulled out the mirror again. This time, Percy followed his reflection but didn't flare. I'm starting to think he isn't a real betta. :D

Tried the mirror again today, it worked a treat. He finally started flaring, and I haven't seen him do it for so long. He looked like a blue frilled-neck lizard! Just wanted to add this. Apollo is better as well, I'm about to update it on the other thread.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back