My Betta Percy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GobyMaster11276

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this thread is going to be about my betta Percy. About five months ago, I was looking for a new betta, when I came across Percy. At the time, I was shopping for cat food, but seeing as I had a tank cycled and ready to go, I got him. Currently, he's in a 70l divided tank with another betta. Recently, I noticed that he'll sometimes swim with a pectoral fin clamped to his side, but proves perfectly able to use both other times. Should I be worried? This is shown in the last picture (excuse the quality).

Attachments

• IMG_0025.JPG
    IMG_0025.JPG
    978.2 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    876.3 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0032.JPG
    IMG_0032.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 144
Last edited:
I don't know he looks fine to me you cant expect him to be flared up all the time.

Check your water parameters and do a water change,

I don't know he looks fine to me you cant expect him to be flared up all the time.

Check your water parameters and do a water change,
I did my weekly water change today. My water should have settled by tomorrow, when I should be conducting the water changes. I gave him live mosquito larvae for dinner, and while observing him, came to the conclusion that his pectoral fin behaviour might be because of the water flow? What do you think of this hypothesis? On another note, I plan to attach some plants to the bogwood tomorrow. Any tips or advice for this? I also plan to get a new species of plant to cover the gravel (kind of like a grass), so if you have any ideas, let me know. Thanks.

came to the conclusion that his pectoral fin behaviour might be because of the water flow?
How strong is the current? You fish should be able to just hover in one place without effort.

I plan to attach some plants to the bogwood tomorrow. Any tips or advice for this
I use super glue (cyanoacrylate), All you need is 1 small drop. The gel stuff is best. or you can use cotton.

I also plan to get a new species of plant to cover the gravel (kind of like a grass),
The only grass type of plant I have had success with is Variegated Japanese Dwarf Rush.

Thanks for the information. The current isn't very strong; it's only moderate. The filter is a corner sponge (there's one on each side), but I can't remember which brand. Percy can hover on the spot, so I assume it's good? Guess that rules out another possibility of his swimming behaviour. Do you think it could just be a unique thing he does?

Right now I'm considering dwarf hairgrass for the bottom plant. Any experience with it? With the glue, would I need to leave it sit for a while before being replaced into the tank? If so, how long? All of your help so far is greatly appreciated.

DH appreciate good par and co2. Great dry start plant. Seperate into as small of pieces as possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

UPDATE
Been meaning to do this for a while, but didn't get around to it. Percy's pectoral fin anomaly is over. Yay! As I mentioned in some of my other threads, my water parameters should be around:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 0-5ppm
pH: 7.6-7.7

I say should because my nitrates test is supposedly giving a false positive, always at the top level (even after my weekly 40% change).

Other than all that, Percy looks great. He's very active and has a good appetite. It's been a bit more than a week, but the plants already have new growth. I have gotten (superglue name) for attaching plants to the bogwood. Is it safe to use? Haven't gotten around to getting the carpet plant. I might get one of the plants NickAu mentioned in one of FroFro's thread instead. I also haven't gotten near the hardware store to get superglue. The ever growing to-do list. :D Will try to get a video of Percy next time I put in mosquito larvae.

BTW the first picture is from during my water change today. Unfortunately, I didn't get one of Percy observing the siphon while vacuuming the gravel.

Attachments

• IMG_0133.JPG
    IMG_0133.JPG
    534.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0135.JPG
    IMG_0135.JPG
    820.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0136.JPG
    IMG_0136.JPG
    655.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0137.JPG
    IMG_0137.JPG
    776.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0138.JPG
    IMG_0138.JPG
    783.2 KB · Views: 131
I say should because my nitrates test is supposedly giving a false positive, always at the top level (even after my weekly 40% change).
Check your tap water.

I see the tank is split in half, are you holding out on fish photos.

My tap water tests zero. I have a thread about all of this (Nitrates Issues).
I see the tank is split in half, are you holding out on fish photos.
Oh, you mean Apollo? That's my sister's betta. The light was off in the other photo due to issues. Here's a photo of him. And one of Percy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    903.1 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    810.5 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
So, here's the update. The plants are growing strong still, Percy is energetic and healthy, always begging for food as I walk pass. Sometimes I can't help but give him a pellet. He does this weird movement thing, kind of like a dance. I will try to film that soon, if I don't forget. I have superglue, but decided not to risk it because I think it's toxic. Might try the aquarium glue on ebay. Do you have a type that you use? I will post a pic after this post of the tank. I was hoping to get some advice on scaping it. I want it to look more natural, but am very inexperienced with that sort of thing. Anything will be appreciated.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back