Missing A Fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

UGH!!!
I was praying that wouldnt be the case as the lid has been on all the time... The dog was trying to get under the table earlier on :crazy: Ill get my mum to help me check it now

If I were you I wouldn't bother doing a big search as it's probably died and been eaten now. I've often lost smal-ish fish for them never to be seen again. Last one was a small cory. I wouldn't worry about it polluting the water.

well i searched for no.6 and nope, definately not there any more. I fished out everything alive in the tank, there are definately only 5 fish in there now and i am missing a green shrimp too :/ ill have to get some more to go with the female i have

I think i have found a leech though... I have a picture but cant find the cable for my camera. It is about 3mm's in length. Might sound rather small until you think my fish are smaller than the cherry shrimp ive got. Could this be the culprit? #40## thing gives me the creeps!

I have had ottos do this before to me. They're easy hiders and will sometimes just disappear one day. When I was doing the weekly gravel cleaning once I got a clog in my makeshift siphon tube and i had to knock it out in the bathroom. It was the remains to a skeleton which I figured was my missing otto. Never messed with my water (that I know of) but I have a heavily planted tank.

the water has been fine in my tank aswell Larkspur, but i have quite a few plants in it for the size of it. Ive been having problems with brown algae lately, and i suppose this could explain it :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the help guys :good:

Brown algae is not harmful to fish, unless it blocks the filter in some way.

Did you find the fish at all? Have a look around the outside of the tank, sounds silly but it could of jumped out!

James.

i didnt mean the brown algae killed the fish haha, i meant if there was a fish decomposing in the tank then it would produce ammonia which would be a good reason for the algae.

Nope, no sign of the fish at all. 5 little fishes now

My boyfriend had 2 syndontis catfish and I went to his house one afternoon and looked and there was only one. No places to hide. It was a completely empty 10 gallon tank. No decorations. Just the filter and heater. We looked all over the counter and he was getting frustrated and I happened to glance down at the floor a few feet from the tank and I yelled:

"SYNODONTIS ON THE FLOOR!!!"

Funniest moment ever, but for the fish who by then was crispy and dry and very much deceased. I still joke with him and shout that saying. It sounds like we discovered an ancient dinosaur species or something. :lol:

I figured what happened was he had scooped out a dead fish about 18 hours prior. It was a cichlid that got mauled by the older cichlids and didn't survive his injuries. :sad: We think the synodontis got stuck on the net when he pulled it out. He said where it was on the floor was about where he was standing. His syndontis are only babies so not very big. They also have slightly prickly fins that probably got tangled in the net hence getting pulled out and falling on the tile floor.

He was actually able to exchange the dead one for another one so he has 2 of them again. He still had his receipt from time of purchase.

So who knows. I doubt you accidentally scooped your poor missing fish out. It's probably more like my otto story where my otto just disappeared and I later discovered his remains while doing the gravel cleaning. :crazy: But I had to share that story with you nonetheless. I love to give my boyfriend a hard time about it.

thanks for sharing the story :D very funny! poor fish. im glad he managed to get another though. And yeah, i recon its more like your otto story. I was out last night and texting my mum saying "count the fish!" haha, she is so paranoid now. We had a goldfish go missing in our pond last week aswell but we managed to find her body.

Ah well, it happens. I hope i lose no more though because the shop i got them from is closing this weekend :sad: They are all healthy looking, active and eating so hopefully i wont :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back