Missing A Fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ryefish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I was panicking this morning because i could only see four of the six Galaxy Rasbora in my tank (like almost sick to my stomach haha). I sat and watched them for ages but could only ever see four together at once. I pulled the bogwood out and no.5 appeared from nowhere :blink:

I cant find number 6!! I have been watching them for AGES and can only see five. Water stats are 0 Amm and 0 Ni's. If it was dead, would i know about it? I check every day for anything floating and have found nothing. My tank is only tiny :(

I can tell some of them apart, like one has a black spot, and one has faded black lines on the fins, one has brighter red and black on the fins than the others, but its not one of those three, ugh!! lol Is it hiding from meh? :(

is there anything else in the tank?

not all fish float when they die...it usually depends on how the fish died as to whether or not it floats. it is possible that if one died, it was behind a plant or piece of bogwood and the other fish and shrimp finished it off.

are they liveplants? because any ammonia being released from the one little dead body could easily be absorbed by the live plants.

i pulled the bogwood out earlier on today and did a mini vac where it was incase it had died and got stuck in the gravel around the back of there (i dont always get that spot when doing weekly maintenence because its the fish hide spot). I only added the shrimp yesterday

yes they are live plants :-( Im going to have to go hunting for this little fish

haha im scared of checking the filter incase its in there, but its a UGF so im not sure if it could. I just pulled up the rock that my Java Fern is attached to and the root had stuck to a stone and i almost screamed thinking it was the fish lmao

oh god. Anyone fancy coming over and hunting for this fish for me? :lol:

Is it a tank where he could get under of behind the filter?

no the filter is right in the centre of the tank under the gravel (biorb tank), i did check behind the heater and the thermometer though :(
Im going to have do to a MASSIVE gravel vac tomorrow. Thats the only place i could possibly think it would be. I dont know how to do all this without crushing my new shrimp and without freaking my remaining fish out - i can just put the snails in a glass of water lol

man up and get looking if it was me i would be emptying my tank looking if it is dead it wont do you water levels any good with a dead fish roting in the tnak

i know it wont. i have an exam tomorrow that i need to revise for which is why i cant sort this out tonight. It is nowhere visible, and not under the rock, the wood, heater or thermometer so the rest will have to wait until tomorrow.
Will it do more harm than good if i catch the fish and shrimp and put them in a seperate tub whilst i sift through the gravel tomorrow morning/evening?

am confused you have time to come on here and post instead of looking for your fish?

and how big is the tank?

if you start one end take things out clear the are then put it back and then move along then the fish will just swim away from you

just be careful when pulling the filter out and putting it back in, it will create a vacuum and you'll have to watch the shrimps don't end up in the filter.

am confused you have time to come on here and post instead of looking for your fish?

this takes 2 seconds ;) and im sat at my computer anyways writing revision notes. clearing my tank would take 30-60mins atleast
the tank is only a tiny 30L, which means fish dont have a lot of room to get away from me

I think i will remove the shrimp Ianho, i didnt think about that with the filter >.<

Before you do,have alook around the walls and floors in emediate area.....i have just this few minutes found my small african blockhead dried under the table, iam soooo annoyed, the lid was on a i cannot see how he got out,wired but last two days ive been busy so havent paid them attention....

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back