Lazy fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jimmer

Reaction score
My siames fighting fish quite often lays on the bottom of the tank is it just resting or is :thumbs: there something wrong with it?! :thumbs:

hi jimmer. how long have you had him for?
what temp is the water at? size of tank, any other tank mates how and how often do you change the water. Most fighters do sit and look bored and maybe using a small mirror for a couple of minutes may get his interest back.

its a 2ft tank ive had the fish about 2 weeks now in the tank ive got an albino rainbow shark a small plek 3 guppies a tiger barb and 6 albino tiger barbs and a female fighter i havent changed the water yet

If he is laying on the bottom a lot there is definately something wrong, any sign of illness on the fish, like bloating,fungus, whitespots, is he flicking and rubbing against objects, also can you post test results in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph, what size tank, how many fish and which type.

Must of posted at the same time, how many gallons is that.

its a 2ft tank i think it hold 10 gallons. He is rubbing against the roots of my plants what does this mean? There is no sign of fungus or white spot

jimmer said:
its a 2ft tank ive had the fish about 2 weeks now in the tank ive got an albino rainbow shark a small plek 3 guppies a tiger barb and 6 albino tiger barbs and a female fighter i havent changed the water yet
The water should have 1/3 change at least every 7-10 days. 2 weeks is getting to be a little too long.

Sounds like a 20 gallon to me.

If he's rubbing on things he has a parasite, do you notice where about on his body he rubs, is he heavy breathing, are the gill red and inflamed, you shouldn't really be keeping tiger barbs in a ten gal.

If it is a 20 gal the barbs are fine in there, also any gold dusting on the fish, or tiny whitespots that he looks like he has been sprinkled in salt.

you need to get the water tested as the tank may still be cycling. The fish could be rubbing because of high nitrite or ph problems. if you havent any test kits then take a sample of water, before you change any, to the lfs and see what you get.
In the meantime change 50% and add dechlorinator and see if that helps. investing in a gravel vac will help you too.

You have to give us as much information as possible as we are not clairvoyants, and i no I haven't spelt that right.

webcat5 said:
If you can not keep male and female betta together, where are the LFS getting all the new fish?
By breeding them. Males often fight females, unless they are both in breeding condition and have been introd to each other. The male also attacks any other fish going near his bubblenest with eggs in. But you can't keep him with guppies or female fighters.

OohFeeshy said:
webcat5 said:
If you can not keep male and female betta together, where are the LFS getting all the new fish?
By breeding them. Males often fight females, unless they are both in breeding condition and have been introd to each other. The male also attacks any other fish going near his bubblenest with eggs in. But you can't keep him with guppies or female fighters.
According to Barren's Tropical Fish Guide you Can keep male and female betta together along with some varieties of other fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back