Journal – Breeding German Blue Rams (Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi)

Added 6 Harlequins earlier to see if this helps out on the fighting, now i am hoping this will make then connect better as a pair and claim an area of the tank as there own and get back to business :D

Bad pphoto as the rasboras are QUICK!

dither-fish.jpg

LP

Fine nothing happening though but im not to worried about the main tank as long as they get on.

LP

Nothing new to report still on the breeding pair. The male is still chasing the female away at feeding time which is a little worrying.

I am thinking of bringing the tank in doors soon as the temperature is dropping rapidly now overnight. Also i have upped the feeding a little, i am still feeding frozen bloodworm twice a day but giving them a little more each time. Then on thursday i will be doing a nice COLD water change.

LP

I wish i had things to report but nothing. All the male is doing is chasing the female to the other end of the tank. I think this venture may be coming to a halt :(

LP

Its been happening for over a month now. I have tried many things, Plants, extra hidey spots, dither fish but nothing is helping. I will persist a little longer but if nothing happens soon i will have to have a thing on what to do. She would have been due to spawn again last week but she has no interest due to the males attitude.

LP

Not 100% on rams but does rain water or bigger temp drops help with breeding that you look into?

I have done many cold water changes. Problem is the females fins are taking a beating.

Are you sure that you really have a pair? At least out of the 10 odd pairs I have had, the couple never fought or squabbled between themselves, regardless of whether they were mixed with other pairs or on their own.

Yeh they have spawned together a few weeks after i got them. The female is looking beaten up and i think i will be moving her into the community tank very soon.

LP

Hmm… I have had two individuals spawn as well when there wasn't a suitable permanent partner to chose, but they only put up with each other in *that* way for the duration of the spawning.

I will be closing this tank down this weekend. Female will be placed in the 240 litre community tank and the male will be taken back to the LFS.

LP

Are you sure it was the right female? Could it have been the other female he was originally paired with and this one was just 'a bit on the side' who he thought he'd try out? Might be worth a try with the other female before he goes the distance

Most reactions

Back