Journal – Breeding German Blue Rams (Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi)

L_Plates

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Good evening everyone. I have been into fish keeping for only 4 months and since day 1 I have been fascinated in many aspects of this wonderful hobby. I started with a 60 Litre tank housing 6 tetras and 3 Mollies. 2 Weeks later I had purchased a Juwel Rio 240 and decided to have real plants and wood. This then led me down the path of Co2 and Ferts. But that is another Journal and can be found here, http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/356800-l-plates-fishless-cycle-log/

So, while stocking my 240 I decided to purchase 4 German Blue Rams after a recommendation from a forum member kittykat. She pointed me towards Bolivian Rams which in turn led me toward the German Blue Rams, so I blame kittykat for this adventure :D

Anyway …

I instantly fell in love with this species, everything about them was amazing, So colourful and peaceful fish to watch. Everyone of the Rams I own has its own individual character and I can sit for hours watching them.

So only a few weeks ago I was thinking that it would be fun to try my hand at breeding these wonderful fish. I was lucky enough to acquire a 90 litre tank from someone for free after they needed to be rid of tank. Straight away I was thinking that I could use this as a breeding tank. Then I thought but if they have fry where will I place the fry when they need to be removed ? My old 60 litre thats stored in the garage perfect !

So from there I decided to build a bench in my garage to place both the tanks on as I have no room in the house for more tanks. And the missus would not be happy with me placing then anywhere I could find a gap !

You know how it is gents we wear the trousers until we step foot in the house :)

So bench built, breeding tank set-up and cycled. Water stats are all good although the PH is around 7 but im hoping this will be ok. Temp of the water is set to 27/28c, So all I need now is a breeding pair.

Unfortunately none of my rams in the community tank have paired up and I did not want to remove them into the garage to see if they would. They are happy and (call me soft if you want) but they are my first rams and im attached to them.

So I started to look on the internet for anyone selling a pair. Luckily I was made aware by a forum member that someone was selling pairs on ebay. I called the guy and had a good talk with him for around 30 minutes. I asked many questions making sure they are paired up and that I will not be ending up with just 2 fish that don’t get along. Anyway he told me that he never sells any fish as pairs unless they have had a successful spawn as that would be bad business for him.

Many more questions later and some great tips from him I decided to go ahead and buy from him.

So, the fish arrive on Saturday morning by overnight courier.

Photos

Left is the Breeding tank and on the right is what will be the fry tank. Sat on the bench i put together.
IMAG0507.jpg

The other half of the bench.
IMAG0508.jpg

Breeding Tank - Slate cave i made and a Flower pot, hopefully they will use these when spawning.
IMAG0510.jpg

IMAG0509.jpg

So that is where i am currently at. I will happily keep updating this thread if people are interested in me rambling.

All comments, tips and ideas are very very welcome.

Next update will be Saturday when i receive the Rams from the courier.

Cheers
LP

Loving how you worded all this! :D. Looks good mate setups seem well. Like the bench you made for them to go on too :good:

I will be following this one :D!

Edit: one of the best slate caves I've seen made! :good:

Can't wait, rams are one on my favourite fish :) the breeding and fry tank looks great,

Loving how you worded all this! :D. Looks good mate setups seem well. Like the bench you made for them to go on too :good:

I will be following this one :D!

Edit: one of the best slate caves I've seen made! :good:

Hehe, i have never been good at grammer or spelling. I just think and type, i hope you like it in a good way ! ;)

I was impressed with the cave if i do say so myself as well, whilst on holiday in Wales lets say ... erm ... i acquired it ! Well i mean come on, its everywhere you look in Wales ! Who is going miss half a dozen pieces ?

Loving this! You MUST keep us updated! Best of luck with the breeding project :)

love it L plates. Love the cave as well, looks really tidy. I'm just gradually, turning to RO water in my main tank, so i can get some rams.

Have you tried without RO Ian?

LP, good job, i also have a a weird favourite fish obsession with rams :D

Cheers Guys.

I have never looked into RO Water and i am hoping i will be ok without going down that road. But if it came to it i am sure i would :D

LP

yes mate, in Lincoln we have very hard water. I had some from the LFS and i had to take them bad after 2 days. They didn't do very well. I have always wanted to try RO in a planted tank anyway, so it should be interesting.

Migth want to cycle a sponge filter for the fry tank mate? Dont think that fluval will be too fry friendly, keeping fry alive is a whole new ball game, as i have found out :\ Looking good though :D

What happens in the winter though when temps drop to minus numbers? are those heaters capable of sustaining whats needed in the garage?

Get some jave moss on a bit of lava rock, should grow like wildfire in your main tank, when the eggs go into the fry tank move the moss, you can sprinkle it with fish powder and it will infusia already gives the fry a goos start to life :good:

Hiya mate, the filter is an interpet that came with the 60ltr. Still i agree its not the best filter for the tank. I did manage to rear molly fry in there without any mishaps.

Any links to good sponge filters ?

Oh the question i am dreading the wife asking me "What happens in the winter though when temps drop" my answer will more than likely be something like ...

Oh no dear, i did not think of that. I may just have to move them in doors until its gets warmer ( BIG SMILE ) oh and you know that new dress you wanted, why don't we go and get that right now for you :D

Wish me luck, heh

LP

Get some jave moss on a bit of lava rock, should grow like wildfire in your main tank, when the eggs go into the fry tank move the moss, you can sprinkle it with fish powder and it will infusia already gives the fry a goos start to life :good:

Hiya BBA, The fry will only be moved over to the fry tank when they are in the free swimming stage.

The moss idea sounds good. I will be planning to feed mainly live / frozen food to both parents and fry.

Cheers
LP

JAD Sponge filter simply attach air pump. Very fry friendly and used in most fry tanks you will see. Also create very little flow on the water which i think rams prefer?

How many times have the Rams you are getting bred before? If they are good parents theres no reason to seperate them from parents so early, allowing the parents to do what nature intended is far more fun to watch and of course rewarding.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Cheers for the link mate i will have a look.

the guy said they have bred twice successfully. The first 2 times they ate the eggs which he says happens a lot until they get use to the spawning process.

LP

Most reactions

Back