Journal – Breeding German Blue Rams (Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi)

Tizer when you say fry tank you was referring to the one on the right correct ?

Anyway i have ordered 2 filters you linked. And sorry to answer your question from before rams prefer slow flow that is correct.

LP

My bolivians have bred twice in my tank, they also ate the eggs twice! Not had them spawn in about 5 months now though.

Fingers crossed for the future that they start again. Was this in your 5 foot tank or your 4 foot ?

LP

They spawned in the 4 foot, the two that spawn still hang out together so it might happen!

I recently introduced another male to see if it would pair up with the other female, hes huge compared to her, hopefully she likes a bit of muscle. :D

Also swapped over a couple of my male krib juvies for some females, potentially i could end up with 3 pairs unrelated next year. I know they are super common fish and very easy to breed, but i think they are very pretty. :)

I do like Kribs as well, not got any though. So many times i have nearly walked out with a few :)

So back to your rams, apart from the tank is anything different in the setup ie stones etc that the rams spawned on ?

LP

Just a quick update.

I have made a small change to the filters in both tanks to make them a little more FRY friendly, cheers for pointing this out Tizer. This is only until i have the sponge filters in place and cycled. I have added some foam to the bottom of the the breeding tanks filter to stop any fry getting sucked in. Also the same in the fry tank.

IMAG0512.jpg

IMAG0513.jpg

Cheers LP

Just had a phone call from the seller and the fish are on there way !

Roll on tomorrow morning :)

Here is a link to the seller, http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/aquatic-madness

Highly recommended by myself so far.

LP

Ok time for an update ....

So the fish arrived at 07:15 this morning ! Which was great as I did not have to wait around tapping my fingers on the workbench for hours. This is how they arrived ...

IMAG0515.jpg

IMAG0516.jpg

IMAG0517.jpg

IMAG0518.jpg

As you can see they was very well boxed up. In photo 3 you can see a little heat pack that was placed in there with them.

So next was to slowly introduce the fish to the tank ...

IMAG0519.jpg

Whilst doing this the 2 sponge filters I had ordered arrived, perfect timing :)

IMAG0520.jpg

Ok now, when I ordered the breeding pair from the guy he was talking to me and asked if any of my rams had tried to breed in my community tank. I said no and he kindly offered to send me another female to see if any of the males took an interest. Nice man.

Unfortunately when the fish arrived this morning all the fish where in the same bag, so I am unsure which female is paired with the male.

All 3 fish – Also one of the new filters on the right being cycled for the fry tank.
IMAG0527.jpg

As I have been watching them throughout the day I have noticed that 2 of the three fish seem to stick together a lot more so I feel I have a good idea on which female is paired, Also her tube is prominent where as on the other female this is not.

Here is a photo of the Female I suspect is paired with the male.
IMAG0521.jpg

And here is the suspected pair together. The male at this point was still colouring up.
IMAG0522.jpg

And this is the male looking a lot brighter a few hours later.
IMAG0524.jpg

So all in all a good day. I am a little worried about having an extra female in the tank with the pair but until I know for sure which female is paired there is not a lot I can do. I just hope the pair lay some eggs and then I can remove the other female.

I just hope that having lets call her the ROGUE female in the tank will not cause any pairing issues. At this point i am really worried about it.

Cheers
LP

If you add some water 3-4 degrees colder than your tank temp, would this encourage them to breed?

:good: they're colouring up nicely! I hope they produce for you!

Just had a read through the Journal L plates, looking good!

You seem dedicated, best of luck breeding the Rams, beautfiul fish :good:

James.

Cheers Guys.

Just been in to check on the rams. One of the females has started to get a pink belly and the male ram is sniffing around her a little. Here is a quick video, not the best but i did not want to spend a lot of time staring in and disturbing them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRNaqZ-3UqI

Cheers
LP

Looking good mate, good luck. Filters look a perfect size for the tank. gogo breeding! You can save me some fry too! I dibs half a dozen! Thats some major overkill on the packaging :D most fish i order come in a 10" square cardboard box lined with an inch of poly! Good to see they got there alive and well.

Most reactions

Back