Is my goldfish acting normally?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I hope you can open the image... he has some white little things on his tail... shall i worry??:(

can't see the image :(

if you put the image on a free image hosting website, then put a link here, we can view it that way :)

The link has a few different health issues that can affect fish. I really need to see your fish to identify the issue. It could be excess mucous caused by poor water quality, a virus, a parasite, fungus or just a lump like a mole on the skin.

I can tupload image... i even tried to set it as my profile photo... didn't work..

You will have to wait for one of the moderators to come on and ask them if they can help you post a pic. They should be on in a couple of hours.

Last edited:
That's nothing to worry about right now; it could be a lot of things, but it's not too serious.

Your fish does look very sick though. Lying on the bottom, with its dorsal (top) fin flat like that, is not a good sign, I'm afraid, and it looks very thin.

I feel it only fair to warn you that this fish might die. Have you had any luck finding a bigger container for him? Or some pond weed?

The fish has finrot starting in the tail, identified by the red veins in the white part of the tail.

As mentioned by Fluttermoth, the fish is not happy and this is identified by the dorsal (top) fin sitting along the body and not standing upright. And the way the fish is laying on the bottom is a bad sign.

The white bits on the tail is excess mucous produces by the fish in response to something in the water that is stressing it.

These issues are all caused by poor water quality. You need to do a big 90% water change using water that is free of chlorine/ chloramine.

If you can get some floating plants they will help with the water quality.

Don't feed the fish for a few days or until it starts to swim about normally and has its fins away from the body.

If you can get an airpump, airline and an air stone and put the airstone in the water it will increase oxygen levels and help a bit.

No i didn't find something bigger... but why is it sick?... it is the second day i have it. And i think i overfed it cuz it's waste was too much. How can it be thin?... i don't want it to die:(
What to do?

The fish has finrot starting in the tail, identified by the red veins in the white part of the tail.

As mentioned by Fluttermoth, the fish is not happy and this is identified by the dorsal (top) fin sitting along the body and not standing upright. And the way the fish is laying on the bottom is a bad sign.

The white bits on the tail is excess mucous produces by the fish in response to something in the water that is stressing it.

These issues are all caused by poor water quality. You need to do a big 90% water change using water that is free of chlorine/ chloramine.

If you can get some floating plants they will help with the water quality.

Don't feed the fish for a few days or until it starts to swim about normally and has its fins away from the body.

If you can get an airpump, airline and an air stone and put the airstone in the water it will increase oxygen levels and help a bit.

What are the floating plants you both mentioned? Where can i find em? ...shall i change his water right now? I changed it around 5hrs before.

Your fish is, most likely, sick because the water is bad. Don't forget that your fish is going to the toilet, all the time, in that little tank.

There are chemicals, in the fish's urine and faeces, that you can't see, that make the water poisonous.

If you had the fish in a larger volume of water, it would take longer for those chemicals to reach a dangerous level.

Plants 'eat' those nasty chemicals, so they would help the water stay cleaner.

Any kind of water or pond plant would help; do they not sell any at the shop where you got the fish? Do you know anyone who has a pond in their garden (not things from the river though; the fish there could have diseases).

You need to be changing as much water as you can, as often as you can, until you can get the fish into a bigger container.

No they don't have floating plants... only plastic decorations... what to do to save it now?:(

Get an air pump, a couple of meters of clear plastic airline, a T-piece and a small plastic tap for the air line, and an airstone from the petshop. Then connect the airline to the air stone and get the air stone bubbling away in the tank. The T-piece and tap is used to adjust the air going into the tank. The aeration (bubbles) should help.

You can also get a corner sponger filter and run that off the same air pump. Over time the sponge will develop good bacteria to help keep the water clean.

Any sort of aquarium plant will do if the shop doesn't have any floating plants. You can normally buy them in small pots and you just put the pot with plant into the tank. Some good plants include narrow Vallis, Ludwigia, Hygrophilla polysperma, and water sprite. The water sprite can be planted in gravel or left to float on the surface. Some shops sell water sprite in pots.

Water changes are the easiest way to deal with this. You did one about 5 hours ago so you could do another later tonight, and then another tomorrow.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back