Is my goldfish acting normally?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

no you don't have to wash it out with hot water. If you want to rinse it out with some cold water that is fine but you don't need to use hot water.

Good then... i have one bottle and one bowl with water for him...
I will change most of his water in morning... if smell doesn't go i will chage it all later at night.

Thanks for everything:thanks:

There are two things that are most likely the main causes of your goldfish not doing too good.

One - the tank at 20x10x12cm this is only 1 gallon, really is far too small. It really is. The water the goldfish is in is getting too toxic too quickly as there is not enough volume of water to dilute the amount of poop and ammonia the fish naturally releases into the water.

Two - there is no filter. This is essential for ALL aquariums. Why? Because filters will move the water around the tank constantly and more importantly it will help get rid of some of the toxic water that I mentioned earlier.

Iā€™ll be honest here, I donā€™t think things are looking good for your goldfish UNLESS you can do a number of things.

Get the largest container you can find, a large plastic storage box that is clean will do fine.

Or if you can get a bigger tank, even a 10 gallon tank is 10 times better than the 1 gallon tank the goldfish is currently in, Iā€™d advise, if possible at all, to get at the very least a 15 gallon tank / 60 litres but youā€™d be better with a 25 or 30 US gallon / 100 litre tank to be honest.
If this not possible if you have not got the money or the means to do so, try your best to at least get a large plastic container and clean that out (clean with just water, no soap at all) and fill with water for goldfish.

Add a filter, ANY filter is better than nothing at this point in time.

Add tap safe dechlorinator. Even though you say the water is safe. Itā€™s safe for humans, this does not necessarily mean itā€™s safe for aquatic life. Dechlorinator helps to take out toxins and metals as well as chlorine from the water, all that helps to make the water safer for the goldfish. This can be bought cheaply for pretty much any pet store that sells fish things.

Third - Change the water regularly, at least 50%, the more, the better.

That will do for now, when youā€™ve done all of the above, let us know then and with as much information as you can provide.

We then can help advise what to do afterwards as things will get a bit more complicated after that.

Yeah, a lot of information to take on am afraid.

But donā€™t worry, just take things one step at a time.

Youā€™ve done the right first step and that was to ask for advice :)

Hello again...
i changed his water in the morning (about 85-90%)... it was still smelling so i changed all of his water... his top fin stood up again and he started swimming... but after some mins he stopped... then he did the same thing...

As for the white marks on his tail... almost all are gone (2-3 are still there) so.i guess that's a good clue.

I think my fish is getting better but i don't really know why he acted that way...

Any idea?

your fish acted that way because of poor water quality.

The fish food you put in produced ammonia (the smell in the water) and that was poisoning him. You will need to keep doing big water changes each day until he recovers. And try to get a filter and bigger tank asap. :)

I think he is getting better... his top fin is straight up now and only one white mark left on his tail... he swims sometimes... also his water doesn't smell any more.. shall i feed him now or wait until he gets better?

do not feed him now. Give him at least 3 more days before you put any more food in the tank.

I agree; fish can go a long time with no food; it won't hurt him.

Fish only need a very small amount of food; his stomach is about the same size as his eye, so he needs about that amount of food each day, and no more.

If there is any food left in the tank after two or three minutes of you putting it in, you're feeding too much.

I don't feed him... i didn't feed him for 2-3 days... now when he swims he swims too fast and when he stops he falls om the side... i will upload some photos so you can see what i mean..

Last edited:
the fish is recovering from being poisoned. It will take a few weeks before he is able to do things normally again.

the fish is recovering from being poisoned. It will take a few weeks before he is able to do things normally again.

Well i don't really know how it is to act normally because he got sick from the day i bought him... that's why i am asking you about everything he does... thanks for helping me!

Last edited:
its good to ask questions :)

When he is better he will swim about thru the water and won't lay on his side. His fins will stand up and away from the body, and his tail will open up instead of being squashed down.

You will spot the difference when he is better. And if you keep taking pictures you can compare the early photos to the ones you take tomorrow, and see the difference in the way he looks and moves in the water.

Most reactions

trending

Back