Is my goldfish acting normally?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

:(

Darn.

I'm sorry, its a harsh lesson and at least the goldfish is in a better place now.

Pet stores are one of those living embodiments that seem to contradict what they do for a living.

Its an all too common occurance and many, many people have fallen for the salesman patter at the pet store as its one of those logical train of thought that well "they sell fish and stuff for a living so they must know what they're doing" not so sadly!

This is one of the things that I and others have repeatedly warned members not to believe everything that the store owners and staff say.

It's basically everyone's own responsibility to do their own research and homework. I've always said that one of the best steps to take is to ask for advice before startign or commiting to anything.

This thread is very, very good for all those who read through this and learned a number of things, so its not all bad in the end.

Yeah... i hope that my dead goldfish will save some other goldfish...

:(:(

That’s exactly what we strive for, for folks to learn from to avoid this happening again for at least one other person.

In the short time that you’ve had this goldfish, you’ve learned a lot, in my book, that’s a good thing.

Now i don't think that i will buy a goldfish again... in pet shop at least they live in huge aquariums with filtered water and all... i may buy one from people who have them and sell them in fests. These fish really suffer... they are transfered evrry now and then... for long distances... kept in 1 litre boxes with no filter... nothing... and when they die... they just remove them from aquarium and throw em in trash. They don't care if there was any illness that might infect the other fish!!! And also when people buy them they are most likely to die than live!

So i'm thinking of getting one from there... but i am not totally sure...

If you want to try again, I would suggest working out what sort of fish you want (goldfish or tropical) and then look at aquariums. Visit the petshop and write down a list of fish that you like but Do Not buy any fish until you have the aquarium and it has been set up. When you're at the petshop looking at fish, see what size aquariums they have, and write the dimensions down. Then put the sizes on here for us to scrutinise. Also post the list of fish you like.

When we have that information we can suggest tank sizes and fish that get along together. Then you can check out filters for the tank. Once you work out the size of tank and the fish and filter, you can buy the tank, filter, gravel, etc and set it all up. Let it run for a while and then add fish.

Now i don't think that i will buy a goldfish again... in pet shop at least they live in huge aquariums with filtered water and all... i may buy one from people who have them and sell them in fests. These fish really suffer... they are transfered evrry now and then... for long distances... kept in 1 litre boxes with no filter... nothing... and when they die... they just remove them from aquarium and throw em in trash. They don't care if there was any illness that might infect the other fish!!! And also when people buy them they are most likely to die than live!

So i'm thinking of getting one from there... but i am not totally sure...

I'm really sorry your goldfish died :( But please don't try and rescue one from that place; you don't have a big enough tank or a pond to keep a goldfish, which is why your first one died. Also, it might already be sick, and you'll just end up going through the same terrible experience of having a sick fish you can't help.

If you want to try again, I would suggest working out what sort of fish you want (goldfish or tropical) and then look at aquariums. Visit the petshop and write down a list of fish that you like but Do Not buy any fish until you have the aquarium and it has been set up. When you're at the petshop looking at fish, see what size aquariums they have, and write the dimensions down. Then put the sizes on here for us to scrutinise. Also post the list of fish you like.

When we have that information we can suggest tank sizes and fish that get along together. Then you can check out filters for the tank. Once you work out the size of tank and the fish and filter, you can buy the tank, filter, gravel, etc and set it all up. Let it run for a while and then add fish.

Try and follow Colin's advice, it's very good. I know you're on a Greek island, and things are going to be quite different over there, but if you go slowly, and let us advise you on every stage, I'm sure we can help you have successful, healthy tank eventually :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back