Is My Dalmation Molly Female And Pregnant ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nmacog

Reaction score
Hi All,

We are new to keeping fish. Had our 1st tank 3 weeks with only one fish at present, been in there 2 weeks, a Dalmation Balloon Molly. 

When we were sold it, we were told it was male. However we are suspecting it is female and pregnant ! Could someone please shed some light on this ? We're new to keeping fish and rather confused at the moment. Photo attached

We have not been overfeeding it (afaik)

Many thanks in advance

IMG_20130514_210417 (Large).jpg

It is definitely female. It's really difficult to tell if it's pregnant because it's a balloon molly. However, if she shared a tank with males at the LFS, the chances are she is pregnant.

Hi - many thanks for your reply - out of interest, how can you tell it's female ?

Hi, nmacog,

If you look at the anal fin (that's the one on end of the fish's tummy, just before the tail) your fish has normal, fan shaped fin, which means it's a female.

Male livebearers have that fin modified into a rod like structure called a 'gonopodium', which they use like a penis :)

thanks guys - really appreciate it !

No problem; it's what we're here for :)

Just be careful because yoyrs is s balloon molly. They have been selectively bred to have that round shape that looks like a heavily pregnant normal molly.

True, but I've found with baloons it's much easier to identify when they are squared off because of that fat fat belly.

i got a female molly that has given birth ...... but her belly is still round from now after her birth.... is she a balloon molly???

Not necessarily, they can still be quite round after a fry-drop. Post a photo and we can be sure.

ok ill try my best to post the photo..... including the black molly im been asking to my topoic...

Most reactions

trending

Back