Is it Fin Rot?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

minni323

Reaction score
I have a betta fish named Lincoln that I got two weeks ago today. Last Sunday I moved him from a 1.3 gallon to a 5 gallon heated and filtered tank. I recently noticed his fin looking like it was ripped up, so I removed all his plastic plants and replaced them with silk plants and took out his decorations because I thought they were getting ripped from that. I am not sure if it is fin rot, the ends of his fins are not black or red. Lincoln does like to swim along the bottom of the tank mostly and his fins drag along the gravel sometimes. His water is fine I had it checked on Tuesday and I purchased an ammonia kit today and there is not any in his tank. I used the other strips as well and he does not have any Nitrates in his tank, the ph is fine, it is not alkaline.

xLincoln-1-32j1k33t43_v_1507341869.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ifCumPhkJd.webp

xLincoln-2-1rha3qu0bx_v_1507341874.jpg.pagespeed.ic.8RMtK6lSsK.webp

xLincoln-3-ctxmp1raar_v_1507341879.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ZfmA8G9_6N.webp

hi there and welcome:hi:

okay so firstly simply just stating that things are fine is pointless. we are going to need actual readings.
secondly the strips are not very accurate and i suggest getting a liquid test.
thirdly never ever believe anything anyone at a pet store tells you.(unfortunatly:shout:)

to answer your question that does not look like finrot and if it is it is very minor:fish:

okay so firstly simply just stating that things are fine is pointless. we are going to need actual readings.
thirdly never ever believe anything anyone at a pet store tells you.(unfortunatly:shout:)

to answer your question that does not look like finrot and if it is it is very minor:fish:

I have the liquid ammonia test and tested it yesterday and today and it was yellow which means 0ppm. Today I ordered the api test kit that had all of the liquid test and once I get it I will be able to post mire accurate readings . I'm glad that it's not fin rot but how do I help him heal. I removed his plastic plants abd he only has silk one's now. I'm thinking of removing the gravel because he likes to swim near the bottom and i think that is tearing his fins

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I have the liquid ammonia test and tested it yesterday and today and it was yellow which means 0ppm. Today I ordered the api test kit that had all of the liquid test and once I get it I will be able to post mire accurate readings . I'm glad that it's not fin rot but how do I help him heal. I removed his plastic plants abd he only has silk one's now. I'm thinking of removing the gravel because he likes to swim near the bottom and i think that is tearing his fins

I cant see the images.

how rough is it

It's not that rough to me. How long does it take for his fins to heal? Is there anything else i should be doing besides doing daily water changes to keep his water clean

Hi

I still can't see any photos of the fish, Without a photo all anyone is doing is guessing.

Hi

I still can't see any photos of the fish, Without a photo all anyone is doing is guessing.
Hmmm i can see them when I look at the post. Can u see the one's l just posted?
fb24637c7790f725bb08ac41b7f8218e.jpg
460c1b2f179ad28b947a84c42449543c.jpg

I can see the photos you just posted.

Can you answer the following questions

• is the tank cycled - how did you cycle it?
  • does the tank have a filter?
  • does it have a heater - what temp is it set to?
  • how much water do you change and how often?
  • what water conditioner do you use?
  • apart from the fish what else is in the tank - fake plants, live plants etc?
  • What do you feed him?
  • How much and how often do you feed him?

It's not that rough to me. How long does it take for his fins to heal? Is there anything else i should be doing besides doing daily water changes to keep his water clean

right so i do not think that that is fin rot. i must add that some bettas are like this in terms of fins.

I can see the photos you just posted.

Can you answer the following questions

• is the tank cycled - how did you cycle it? I did not cycle the tank before putting him in. I know I am bad. But I have been doing daily water changes and testing the water to make sure everything stays within the parameters for several days. I started this Saturday. I have the API ammonia test and its always yellow which means 0ppm and I have the Tetra test strips which I have been told the strips do not give accurate readings so I ordered the API master kit and should have that today.
  • does the tank have a filter? yes
  • does it have a heater - what temp is it set to? its an automatic heater that is preset to 78 degrees, right now the tank is 80 degrees because it is warm in my house
  • how much water do you change and how often? He is in a 5 gallon tank and I have been changing 1 gallon daily since Saturday
  • what water conditioner do you use? Nutrafin Betta Plus
  • apart from the fish what else is in the tank - fake plants, live plants etc? There were plastic plants in there and a rock decoration but I took them out and replaced the plastic plants with silk plants
  • What do you feed him? Aqueon Beta food
  • How much and how often do you feed him? Twice a day 3-4 pellets

Here are more pics of Lincoln
4a4a6e3def4429dc27fa202928d3d717.jpg
eb9c75f1a1baec3f36977d317cd85ac8.jpg
c650b6a5b6fd81d7ededab74591f1898.jpg
93586b9f8c92e54397ed1fc784457cbc.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back