Inexpensive low light plants

Kimm87

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What im looking for are cheep , low light plants that will be ok in sand

I have about 8 anubius nana half of which im going to take out of my current 5 g frog tank seperate and add to a new 10g but both tanks will need more plants. I dont have much time or money and i frequently forget to even turn on the tank light for the frogs so the plants just get what ever indirect light is in the room. Both tanks will have sand substrate and i had to use small stone to keep the anubius in the sand .

You should be able to get a timer from a shop and have the lights running on that. The timer shouldn't cost much and will let the lights go on and off automatically.

Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides) is a nice plant that floats and can be planted in the gravel.

Java fern and Java Moss tolerate low light and can be tied to driftwood or rocks.

If you get the lights on a timer then Ambulia and Hygrophila polysperma do pretty well with low light for an extended period (12 hours a day). And if you have a longer photoperiod (say 12-16 hours per day), lots of plants will be alright.

Are you the only one who uses these forums ?lol

sometimes yes :)

Most of the people that use this forum are from the uk, that funny little group of English speaking countries in Europe and they tend to sleep at this time. Whereas I am down under and have no life so sit here staring at the monitor waiting for people to ask questions :)

Both tanks will have sand substrate and i had to use small stone to keep the anubius in the sand .

Anubias should not be planted in the sand - or at least the rhizome, which is the thick 'root', should not be under the sand or it will rot. It is OK for the thin roots to be in the sand. I grow my anubias attached to wood.

I have had these anubius like that for over 4 years and never had an issue other then them growing extreamly slow

Most of the people that use this forum are from the uk, that funny little group of English speaking countries in Europe and they tend to sleep at this time. Whereas I am down under and have no life so sit here staring at the monitor waiting for people to ask questions :)
Im in the US but being awake at 4 am is pretty common for me

I have had these anubius like that for over 4 years and never had an issue other then them growing extreamly slow
Anubius are not a true aquatic plant and never grow fast under water. They do make nice pot plants for shaded areas tho.

Anubias can be kept either completely submerged or in a marshy environment. They will grow slowly wherever/however you keep them but they are hardy and undemanding so they're a popular beginners plant as they're easy to keep.

They're also fairly easy to propagate and a simple way to add some greenery/plants to your tank.

I have anubias already i will probably get some sort of floating plant what ever the fish store has and some java fern if they arent to much

too funny...and I thought you were being compensated to answer all members' questions... though you are very knowledgeable when it comes to fish keeping

Lots of Anubias lots of Crypts.

This is the actual light level in the tank.
4gSNwWT.jpg

Nice tank. i always wanted a heavily planted tank but the plants are so expensive. i think when i bought my original plants i bought 3 and they were like $10 a piece for a pretty small plant. The lfs here has pretty high prices but a better selection then the petstores so its a choice price or selection.

My low light 24 inch tall hex tank..all these anubias came from 3 tiny plants a few years ago..low liquid ferts added weekly and I removed some to add to my 10 gallon..running 18 watt t8 fluorescent and a 6 watt led light

2v2JCeKzjx9jnnR.jpg

Last edited:
if you get 1 water sprite plant and grow it on the surface, within a month you will have heaps of little water sprite plants and can plant them in the substrate. You will have a heavily planted tank in a short period of time for the cost of 1 plant. :)

Most reactions

Back