Inexpensive low light plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I never added anything to my tank I have dwarf frogs so the only thing they get is dechlorinater. When i got them 4-5 years ago the frogs being sold in the states were really weak and alot of the people in the frog group kept having sudden die offs and fungal infections and things, so i have always treated them with kid gloves. They have done really well but im hesitant to add anything new.
My sons new tank will be guppies and probably corys so we wil see

if you get 1 water sprite plant and grow it on the surface, within a month you will have heaps of little water sprite plants and can plant them in the substrate. You will have a heavily planted tank in a short period of time for the cost of 1 plant. :)
Water sprite got it ill look for that

This was a single water sprite plant 4 months ago. There is a lot more of it but I have "shared" it with my community tank.

Attachments

• 20180703_222649.jpg
    20180703_222649.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 206
I have had Water sprite with leaves 18 plus inches long. Left alone A single leaf the size of your thumb will quickly cover the top of your tank, This stuff is tuff, cut it rip it trim the roots it just keeps growing

This is a perfect Betta bed, they climb in between the leaves and chill

f2Yk4OG.jpg

Nice tank. i always wanted a heavily planted tank but the plants are so expensive. i think when i bought my original plants i bought 3 and they were like $10 a piece for a pretty small plant. The lfs here has pretty high prices but a better selection then the petstores so its a choice price or selection.

Thanks, While its not everyones cup of tea I love the wild jungle look, I started with small plants and they grew. In case you are wondering I sometimes add 1 milliliter of Seachem flourish comprehensive when I remember, I do not vacuum the substrate and have Malaysian Trumpet snails and rams horn snails, These snails are vital if you want a healthy planted tank no matter what Colin says about snails.
Heres a few tricks with Anubias. I have done this with my plants so I know it works.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Cutting-Anubias/

Crypts
In 6 months with no care this $12 ish pot.
Potted-Cryptocoryne-Parva-Live-Aquatic-Plant-B0171JFZCU.jpg

That pot can easily be broken up into 4 or 5 plabts

Will look like this
APOm3E4.jpg

The big crypts are 30centimeters tall.

All those Crypts came from 1 pot like the one above

Last edited:
Heres a few tricks with Anubias. I have done this with my plants so I know it works.
So i can just cut the rhizome where ever? I always heard that each piece needed at least 3 leaves or it would die but if i can just chop off those empty bits on the end and make new plants that changes everything! Ok not everything but will make splitting the plants easier.

I bought some unidentified aquarium plant seeds online and germinated them on a paper towel in a bag now they are stuck to the paper towel -.- can i just add the paper towel to the tank under the substright? Or do i have to pick each tiny seedling off the towel and replant?

Great to have the discussion. I bought some plants for home decoration as found out in online and similarity they stuck in to the paper towel. how could I solve it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back