Ick On 1 Fish, Treat Entire Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

This is sort of a confusing thread especially, I would think, if you are a beginner. Not bad info, but all over the place. Saviour, your corys will be okay with temps at 30 for at least two weeks, but if you are using a medication I think it is okay to reduce the temps a degree or two if you are concerned.. I too use a medication when I see ich. I have used malachite green/formalin mix (common in lots of over the counter meds). I've used it full strength and always treat according to the method in the link in my signature. Corys and plecos did fine. Also it did not affect my biological filter at all.

The slime you have going... humm.... can't tell, did you add salt? Are you testing the water for ammonia and nitrite? Are you doing your water changes? You should be treating for 10 days to prevent a resurrection of the ich parasite.

This is sort of a confusing thread especially, I would think, if you are a beginner. Not bad info, but all over the place. Saviour, your corys will be okay with temps at 30 for at least two weeks, but if you are using a medication I think it is okay to reduce the temps a degree or two if you are concerned.. I too use a medication when I see ich. I have used malachite green/formalin mix (common in lots of over the counter meds). I've used it full strength and always treat according to the method in the link in my signature. Corys and plecos did fine. Also it did not affect my biological filter at all.

The slime you have going... humm.... can't tell, did you add salt? Are you testing the water for ammonia and nitrite? Are you doing your water changes? You should be treating for 10 days to prevent a resurrection of the ich parasite.

i understand your experience. but it should be pointed out it is recommended to treat 1/2 dosage with cory, and Plecos. as it is know that this med, does affect both the fish and bio filter. i realise things differ, person to person. as the fish are, already, ill. being cautious, is to be advised.

looking around i can find, at least, one post/thought, that disagrees with your comments, for every one that agrees. as it seems there is no clear 'correct' answer, it must be better to follow the 'safe' path. especially when advising at distance.

experience is a funny thing, it seems. If i were to talk, purely from my experience. I would have to say, ICK is not a problem in the hobby! i have bought stock for LFS (many different ones) i have rescued fish from other keepers in trouble. yet, despite not using a quarantine tank. I have never suffered an outbreak. indeed nor any other illness. go figure!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back