Ick On 1 Fish, Treat Entire Tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I'd forget about trying to change the temp and moving filters and all that; just use a proper Ich medication. You don't have to worry about your filter bacteria or your cories; it's loaches with their 'naked' (ie; scaless) skin that can suffer, not 'ordinary' catfish.

I'd forget about trying to change the temp and moving filters and all that; just use a proper Ich medication. You don't have to worry about your filter bacteria or your cories; it's loaches with their 'naked' (ie; scaless) skin that can suffer, not 'ordinary' catfish.

Temp is the best way ti help the meds work.. at the higher end of the heat scale, the heat itself has a deleterious effect on the bug. though sure if you want you can treat at 'normal' temp. it'll take longer is all.

Malachite Green, the med i was advising on. IS toxic to cory, so half dose is a must.

as for the filter, well thats up to the OP. but his colony WILL take a knock, a know effect of many ICK meds, and defiantly Malachite Green.

I agree its personal choice. but its good to know the options, before you make that choice.

To be fair, I've only had ich in my fish once, so I'm not that experienced. I used eSHa exit and it didn't affect my cories or my filter and cleared the ich up in three days.

To be fair, I've only had ich in my fish once, so I'm not that experienced. I used eSHa exit and it didn't affect my cories or my filter and cleared the ich up in three days.
cleared ick in just three days? what super med is that? ...

It was eSha exit; very good stuff and won't affect catfish or loaches and won't affect your filter.

It was eSha exit; very good stuff and won't affect catfish or loaches and won't affect your filter.

cant be done, simple as that, the life cycle of the bug is longer than that, 3 days? RATFL
even the most basic advice, warns not to believe claims like that. to do a proper job, you need to treat for 2 life cycles. so the claims the stuff makes cant be real.
but, if your happy, fine we. just let others know the truth of treating this.

the only chem that can effect the stage 1 bug is, chlorine. and then is open to discussion. with only one stage susceptible to the med, its impossible, to threat in that time. whatever the claim.

Well, it worked for me, that's all I can say! I'm more than happy to be corrected :)

aren't there alternatives to malachite green? it doesn't sound to great. i mean, there are meds with and without copper that would be better, right?

help!!! some of my fishes died... The original fish with white spot seems have no more spot on him, but another fish seems to have white stuff clinging to it.... is it ick? or just some baby ick trying to re-attached again? help...

i tried sucking gently with a siphon the white stuff, and it went off from the fish. But some time later, a bit cling on some other part of another fish. is it ick babies flooding the tank? or just plain dirt? help!!!

aren't there alternatives to malachite green? it doesn't sound to great. i mean, there are meds with and without copper that would be better, right?

they are all quite toxic. thing is they need to be, to work. this is why itas so important to do a through job. if you dont, there is a possibility that ICK could return. unlees you irradicate ALL the bugs' remnants. It is possible to have low level infection. you may well not notice it. only a tiny number of swimming bugs survive. providing your tank is stable, and the fish, therefore, not stressed. this could go on for some time. but, if stress is encountered, the infection flairs up. this is one of the reasons stress is mooted as a cause/major ingredient of ICK. a healty none stressed fish, tends, to have a healthy slime coat. this is, actually, the best defence a fish has to ICK. healty slime coat prevents most of the bugs being able to attach to the fish.

help!!! some of my fishes died... The original fish with white spot seems have no more spot on him, but another fish seems to have white stuff clinging to it.... is it ick? or just some baby ick trying to re-attached again? help...

i tried sucking gently with a siphon the white stuff, and it went off from the fish. But some time later, a bit cling on some other part of another fish. is it ick babies flooding the tank? or just plain dirt? help!!!

this may be the result of bacterial infection. but its hard to tell without seeing it.

this may be the result of bacterial infection. but its hard to tell without seeing it.
Sounds like fungus..

Sounds like fungus..
lol, yeah it does. but i had something similar on an injured Silver Dollar. whether the white is fungus, or not, the cause was bacterial infection of a wound. hence my use of "result of". as opposed to 'is'. and treatment was for the infection too. (TeaTree oil)

Sounds like fungus..
lol, yeah it does. but i had something similar on an injured Silver Dollar. whether the white is fungus, or not, the cause was bacterial infection of a wound. hence my use of "result of". as opposed to 'is'. and treatment was for the infection too. (TeaTree oil)
Sorry, forgot the "Yeah," at the start :) wasn't trying to disagree!

Sounds like fungus..
Sorry, forgot the "Yeah," at the start :) wasn't trying to disagree!

I would, however, like to know just what it is! i can never find out though.

help guys... a few more of my fishes has died. The fish with so called "fungus" has no more. Seems like dirt perhaps or baby ick trying to cling on. There are no more white spots around on any of the fishes since 4 days ago. Can i stop the treatment and reduce the temperatures now?

I'm worried about my remaining fishes unable to withstand the treatment for long...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back