¡i Want A Pleco!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AstonN24vantage

Fish Herder
Reaction score
hello. my tank has been becoming dirty and i need something more than some snails to eat the algae. so, i wanted a pleco, but i wanted to check to make sure it would be okay in my 30 gallon. i was think of something more along the lines of a bristlenose. heres what i have:

2 mollies
1 platy
1 swordtail
2 angels
1 cory
3 giant danios
2 panda barbs
1 green tiger barb

and my last test results: (10/10/10)
nitrate: 20 nitrite: 0 ammonia: 0 hardness: soft pH: 7.5 alkalinity: 100

thanks!

Honestly, You can't count on a pleco to clean your tank. Sorry, but they on;y feed on algae if they are starved, and even then you won't notice a difference.
Snails won't help either.

Just clean the tank already. :good:

Honestly, You can't count on a pleco to clean your tank. Sorry, but they on;y feed on algae if they are starved, and even then you won't notice a difference.

Actually, I disagree... I find that if you get a pleco, and you have no algae on your tank, he will learn to feed on veggies and wafers, and will not eat algae. If you introduce a pleco into a algae infested tank, he/she will defintly eat. I highly reccomend a Bristlenose- they're my favourite fish... they get about 4 inches, and would be fine in your tank. Get one or two as babys, and watch them grow! They can live for more then 10 years. They have so much awsome personality, and our a truly rewarding fish :good:

Zophie :p

Actually, I disagree... I find that if you get a pleco, and you have no algae on your tank, he will learn to feed on veggies and wafers, and will not eat algae. If you introduce a pleco into a algae infested tank, he/she will defintly eat. I highly reccomend a Bristlenose- they're my favourite fish... they get about 4 inches, and would be fine in your tank. Get one or two as babys, and watch them grow! They can live for more then 10 years. They have so much awsome personality, and our a truly rewarding fish :good:

Zophie :p

Well of course they would eat algae off of a tank infested with it, but no real difference.

BN's get more like 5-6"

I've heard otherwise...

I've heard otherwise...

In all fairness I was told a pleco eats poo, but I know its not true. Just because your told otherwise doesn't mean its true. Why don't you plant the tank then the plants will out compete the algae for nutrients slowing the algae down. Or reduce the levels/time of light in the tank.

What about bulldog plecs, L329, L031, L279, Gagata dolichonema, there really are loads to choose from.

I think you need at least three more Giant Danio (catfish) ;)

Hi Aston,
I have found the Bulldog Plecs (Chaetostoma) very good for eating algae. Mine even eat that nasty black hair stuff in my tank.

I've heard otherwise...

They are quite good at cleaning algae at a young age, with a good varied diet they probably wont be that efficient in doing so at any age. Once they get older/mature they get lazy and they will be very lapse with 'tank maintenance'.

The option and always the better option is find the source of the algae and eliminate it that way, a suitable plec is always a good addition to a tank and bristlenose is a good choice which probably adapts best to most environments.

What about bulldog plecs, L329, L031, L279, Gagata dolichonema, there really are loads to choose from.

That's a random group of plecs you suggested lol, nice but quite random L-numbers ;)

Hi Aston,
I have found the Bulldog Plecs (Chaetostoma) very good for eating algae. Mine even eat that nasty black hair stuff in my tank.

Bulldogs are much better at cleaning algae, they also tend to clean most of there lives rather than get a little lazy like bristlenose.

Pitbulls are a good addition, stay much smaller and like to be in groups, they also arnt quite as timid in the sense of constant hiding.

i got a bristlenose, a female and she's really really happy. if she isnt amazing at cleaning algae, that leaves more food for her later, even though she has been in my tank for 4 hours and is making somewhat of a difference. all the fist store had was bristlenose, plus i dont want anything to grow too big. not only have i never heard of pitbull or bulldog plecs, but they are nowhere near me. thanks for the advice though

okay, once i get back from school. she is a beautiful brownish plec. doesn't even seem stressed at all.

Great choice- BN's are my favourite fish ever. You will be rewarded :good:
i had a feeling i would be

Most reactions

trending

Back