I Guess It's Time To End The Hobby.

+1 on the previous two there, it looks like you have some nice fish here and i have just started fish keeping and omg i love it strait away couldn't give it up for anything, ye you really need to consider getting a new job your box is an absolute jerk if he dose not pay you, you should not do the work, i know its harsh but thats the world we live in, if i don't get paid i won't work, if i won't work then they loose money vicious cycle keep my happy will keep him happy with more money oner the long run :D if you are in a legit job and its on contract or something like that, then if they haven't paid you and you can prove you done the job I'm sure you could take him to court about it, over here I'm sure thats the case and should be the case in romania as well,

i really really hope you will keep the fish your are doing allot of hard work and congrats for sticking with it this long :good: good luck :D

EDIT yes there are plastic aquariums out there but they stain yellowy colour allot quicker, most of the commercial aquariums about are plastic tho, it is more expensive tho hard to believe i know but ye more expensive for a small tank like under 1000L but the larger the tank the cheaper it gets with relation to glass

I hope everything gets sorted out for you.

Acrylic tanks are a type of plastic :good: good like with your search. Your boss does sound jerky

+! on the previous two there, it looks like you have some nice fish here and i have just started fish keeping and omg i love it strait away couldn't give it up for anything, ye you really need to consider getting a new job your box is an absolute jerk if he dose not pay you, you should not do the work, i know its harsh but thats the world we live in, if i don't get paid i won't work, if i won't work then they loose money vicious cycle keep my happy will keep him happy with more money oner the long run :D if you are in a legit job and its on contract or something like that, then if they haven't paid you and you can prove you done the job I'm sure you could take him to court about it, over here I'm sure thats the case and should be the case in romania as well,

i really really hope you will keep the fish your are doing allot of hard work and congrats for sticking with it this long :good: good luck :D

I tried to get employed in romania several times before. Nobody needs, everybody is firing now, they have too many employees or the position is only one and obviously, me being a noob, I wasn't hired.
And I only get clients of my own to fix their pcs once every blue moon when my dad finds them. The yield is too small as well, can barely cover for a test kit.

I'm working without a contract so I cannot sue anyone. But the boss didn't say "I won't pay you." but instead he said that I didn't have a bank account and that I should open one, as Western Union already takes a too huge fee. So I finally opened a bank account and he said he'll do what it takes to go there tomorrow (that being tonight for me). So this is why I could blame myself, as I haven't opened a bank account in the first place.

I was 7 years old when I had a big tank (if you don't consider those 4 guppies I had when I was 5 and my mom accidentally put their decoration over soap and killed them). Managed to keep neons, angelfish babies, black widow tetras and the more common guppy and swordtail, but during one summer every weaker fish was definitely not comfortable and barely now I realize that the owner that gave me all those fish also had no idea about fish keeping.

They had a GIANT betta in there and 4 smaller ones. Also the baby angelfish which not even my mother knew how big they get. Now that I look back, I had pretty much everything that shouldn't have gone in that tank there. It is a face-palm worthy moment when I remember it.
Zebra danios, angelfish, neon tetra, some goldy tetra (don't know their name), black widow tetra, guppies, swordtails, bettas, platys... later on Hoplos (longest living fish I ever had), different kinds of goldfish including a black moor and some wild carps (yes, big fail there, but I didn't want to eat them...). Most of those fish I didn't even want, but my dad wanted them (the goldfish, they were his favorite).

Out of all of those, aside from the Hoplos, the fish that I managed to keep for about 2-3 years were the guppies, platys and swordtails, but it was terrible coming home from my vacation to find out that my dad didn't take care of them.

Plastic tanks - I've done a google search... them dummies are selling only 10L... what the... ? I'm like "Seriously?"

How much would a 100L tank cost though? I saw some offers for them being $30 or so, but they got bought quickly. Now I take a look and they cost $91.36 o_O this is seriously weird.

There's a 25 euro offer for a tank that's 70L. But he gives it with fish so I don't think it's a good idea. I don't want gouramis yet.

What I don't like: No offers for a 100 cm tank, they mostly have their height bigger than their length. I think I'll still have to build it myself if I want something long and short. I wonder what's with all these column and hexagons... they're taking over.

Dad's home. I told him about the storage bin idea, he said he'll check but he doesn't know where to go yet. Our grocery stores (supermarkets actually) don't sell plastic boxes, but hardware stores might sell them. Would be awesome if I could find one with a handle too.

Just get a plastic storage bin from walmart, not a plastic tank. A real plastic fish tank is going to cost more then a glass one. A plastic tank is an acrylic tank. Acrylic is stronger then glass, but much more expensive and they are not as resistant. Acrylics scratch and they cloud up as they age. However really big tanks usually need to be acrylic.

Either keep them in the current tank till you get money or buy a cheap plastic storage bin. Handles are irrelevant, don't try to move the bin when it is full of water....

Just get a plastic storage bin from walmart, not a plastic tank. A real plastic fish tank is going to cost more then a glass one. A plastic tank is an acrylic tank. Acrylic is stronger then glass, but much more expensive and they are not as resistant. Acrylics scratch and they cloud up as they age. However really big tanks usually need to be acrylic.

Either keep them in the current tank till you get money or buy a cheap plastic storage bin. Handles are irrelevant, don't try to move the bin when it is full of water....
Walmart's not yet available in Romania. Although I see they do consider adding a store here.
Best bet would be Cora mall, where they have all kinds of things.

I wasn't thinking of carrying a huge storage bin full of water by the handle. Probably couldn't move it through the doors that way. But for carrying it home or moving it while it's empty / when I have a proper tank, that would be nice...

By plastic tank I wasn't really thinking of acrylic, more like... something in the way of the bin posted in this thread, but with completely transparent walls or as close to 100% transparency as possible. I wonder if I could find a bin like that... Because I might not be able to spot eventual problems / clean it properly if I won't be able to see from the sides. I clean what ever fish poop that the filter might not pick up (such as catfish poop ball, which may be too big to fit through the filter holes).

You can really keep fish in any kind of watertight container, and you can pick up big ones pretty cheap. You could certainly find something which you could keep your fish in and they'll be fine until you can afford a bigger tank.

Proper tanks are obviously much prettier and more resistant to knocks and all that stuff, but a storage box or bin will be perfectly fine for however long you need to keep them in there. Fish don't have the same sense of style that we have.
hehe.gif

You can really keep fish in any kind of watertight container, and you can pick up big ones pretty cheap. You could certainly find something which you could keep your fish in and they'll be fine until you can afford a bigger tank.

Proper tanks are obviously much prettier and more resistant to knocks and all that stuff, but a storage box or bin will be perfectly fine for however long you need to keep them in there. Fish don't have the same sense of style that we have.
hehe.gif
Yeah it wasn't about admiring the fish, more about keeping them under observation for signs of stress. Such as clamped fins / lethargy. If the container isn't transparent (not 100% but at least a 90% or so), it would be harder to monitor them.
I could try to get a bin, but how will I be sure that it doesn't contain anything that might hurt them? Of course I wouldn't pick one that has paint coming off of it, but I think I know what would work. Something like the food boxes that my mom has. But I need something much bigger than that.

Pretty much anything that's plastic and watertight will be fine. There's not really anything in plastic that can leech out and damage your fish.

Pretty much anything that's plastic and watertight will be fine. There's not really anything in plastic that can leech out and damage your fish.
Then maybe I can find a nice one that will replace my current tank and bonus if it's transparent enough. Mom's food bins are pretty near glass transparency but they are also thick.

Also, when I'll do the moving (either from current tank to bin or current tank to another tank), how will I handle the water? If filter hasn't cycled, is it ok to just put fish in new water entirely? Or do I need to still add from the old one in the tank? And in the case it has cycled, can I do same thing or do I need to move the water to the new tank? I I saw Tizer telling someone here to take all the water from that tank and move it to the new tank. Is that for keeping the same PH?

There's nothing useful in your current water that you'll particularly want to keep, but you may shock the fish if a water change is too large and sudden - i.e. if the water you're moving them to is wildly different than the water you're moving them from. It's certainly not unheard of for tap water parameters to be wildly different to what's in your tank. I know it is in my case. Hopefully the container you get will be bigger than your current tank, so the best thing to do is transfer them over with all of the water you currently have, then slowly add in more water until the container is at capacity. You'll want to make sure the water is dechlorinated though or else it may kill all your filter bacteria. I'd recommend using Seachem Prime as your dechlorinator as it's super concentrated and a little goes a long, long way.

There's nothing useful in your current water that you'll particularly want to keep, but you may shock the fish if a water change is too large and sudden - i.e. if the water you're moving them to is wildly different than the water you're moving them from. It's certainly not unheard of for tap water parameters to be wildly different to what's in your tank. I know it is in my case. Hopefully the container you get will be bigger than your current tank, so the best thing to do is transfer them over with all of the water you currently have, then slowly add in more water until the container is at capacity. You'll want to make sure the water is dechlorinated though or else it may kill all your filter bacteria. I'd recommend using Seachem Prime as your dechlorinator as it's super concentrated and a little goes a long, long way.

Yeah, the PH difference was my concern. Although before I used to make 100% changes, but seeing as it's been a month since I've been doing only 80% daily, the PH might be different.
According to the water provider, the tap water PH should be 7.42 and ammonia and nitrite in tap water should be 0.05. I'll know for sure when I'll measure it. I also hope that by accident I managed to at least start the cycle by now (if the chlorine has indeed evaporated totally).

I don't seem to find any info that they sell Seachem Prime here (except online but says out of stock), they have JBL but it has a lot of other added stuff such as aloe vera oils and vitamins and stress coat (but I have read that these could pose a threat). Other than that, I don't know and will have to see.

Many water providers add chloramine to the water, which is like chlorine but it doesn't evaporate so readily. I've personally never seen Prime sold in any shop I've been to, but I've never had any trouble finding it online. Don't know if you have stuff like eBay or Amazon in Romania but one of those places should have it if nowhere else.

Any old dechlorinator will do the job, but Prime is so much more concentrated it works out a LOT cheaper in the long run, even though it can be a little bit more to buy initially.

Many water providers add chloramine to the water, which is like chlorine but it doesn't evaporate so readily. I've personally never seen Prime sold in any shop I've been to, but I've never had any trouble finding it online. Don't know if you have stuff like eBay or Amazon in Romania but one of those places should have it if nowhere else.

Any old dechlorinator will do the job, but Prime is so much more concentrated it works out a LOT cheaper in the long run, even though it can be a little bit more to buy initially.
eBay and Amazon require a card (I even signed up on Paypal and they only favor America for using bank accounts, they request that we use credit cards if we are from other countries, and I seriously don't want to spend money on a card from that bank I have signed up at... I heard it's a bad idea). Unless I have missed something here about Paypal's option to extract from bank acc directly.

I'll see what kinds I can find since I might be going to check out what's on sale at that pet shop.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back