I Am Killing My Fish & On The Point Of Giving Up!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OK another 90% coming up. We did a test this morning & although the ammonia is still at zero, the Nitrites have crept up to around 1.0. It's really difficult for me to differentiate between the shade between 0.8 & 1.6 but it's still colouring up really quickly. We're not paying too much attention to the Nitrates now, hope that's OK.
Got to ask, when the lady at the LFS found out we had a Plec, a Borneo Sucker, she said that was a problem as he would produce more waste than he'd clean from the tank by eating, is this true?

Plecos are notorious poo machines, so that's true. Maybe not the best fish to have while you're trying to cycle your tank! I had a common pleco that draped poo all over the place, and I was using a turkey baster to suck up as much as I could every single day. I finally rehomed him at 6", and that solved the problem.

Your tank is cycling, and that's the good news. And yes, don't worry about the nitrates until the nitrites are under control. You're getting there!!
biggrin.gif

+1

Plecs are poop machines. It can be a problem during a cycle, as they do produce a LOT of waste. I wouldn't give up my plec now though. I really like my BN!

I would keep my feeding to an absolute minimum while you are still in this cycle. I would suggest feeding no more than 2 or 3 times a week. That will be more than enough for them during this time. Once the nitrites are clearing, you can slowly increase the frequency to 5 or 6 times a week.

It is fine to not test nitrates for right now. They certainly won't build up while you are doing these massive water changes to remove nitrite, especially since the nitrite isn't being fully processed. You can test for nitrates if you'd like, as if the nitrates are increasing between water changes, that is another sign that things are progressing, but it certainly isn't necessary.

Yes Plecs are notoriously dirty - but keep up those water changes and all will come good!

Hi all, an update.
It's been awhile but as of just now we are testing negligible for ammonia, nitites & nitrates, HURRAH!!!!!! :hyper:
At one stage I thought the water changes had claimed my Plec & one of the fry but they showed up again after a few days though George the sucker seems quite traumatised & isn't too obvious around the tank any more.
Still keeping feeding to a minimum, two or three flakes ground up every three days or so, they seem very keen to get it & there isn't any detritus around the plants or in the water. The fry & the Tetras seem to have grown as well.
Many thanks for all your advice

Nitrates????? :blink:

You have done well B.

(wish i had someone with a magic wand for my dozy tank!! i swear all my Nbacs are gay ?!...no off intended xx)

Just a quick encouragement Baltipal! I'm new at this too and have been watching this thread. The water changes are never ending aren't they? :) Hopefully you are like me and found a happy rhythm with the whole thing. We will be pros and our tanks will sparkle like no other!! :good: :fun: Hope all continues to go well for you and no more lost fishes!

Just a quick encouragement Baltipal! I'm new at this too and have been watching this thread. The water changes are never ending aren't they? :) Hopefully you are like me and found a happy rhythm with the whole thing. We will be pros and our tanks will sparkle like no other!! :good: :fun: Hope all continues to go well for you and no more lost fishes!

Just one shell shocked Sucker fish that had disappeared for so long I was convinced he'd gone down the plug hole! I'm staring at the tank now but have no idea where he goes to, lol. We're tentatively considering our next addition now, not rushing into anything though.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back