How Long Do You Let Your Bettas Flare A Day?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Just curious

• less than 10 minutes a day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 to 15 minutes a day

• 15 to 20 minutes a day

• 20 to 25 minutes a day

• 1 hour or more a day

• all day long

• Total voters
I have 2 VT in a split tank. They fuss through the screen a little, but they don't really flareat each other any more. They did at first!! I caught one trying to get throught a widdow bitty crack the other day. I'm sur that would have created some excitement.

I have a CT and a DT HM in two 5 gal six inches apart. They flared for a few days. Now they completely ignore one another. Samson is busy with his bubble nest and Jack is always trying to get the lady's attention. The ladies are all in awe of Samson's bubbles and lovely colorful tails. My ladies flair more than the boys.

Sometimes I think when I have a moment that I will test with a mirror if they still get charged up.

My boys get about an hour a day, the girls see each other all day long (unless they choose not to, by hiding in the plant cover). The girls usually do their flaring in the mornings when I come in the office and turn the light on lol...it's like a whole new scenario everytime the light comes on to them lol. That usually lasts about 5-10 minutes and then they are like "ehhh it's just you, again *swims off*.

Why let them flare? Well you have a whole wide world in which to play and run, but do you? Most do not, even though they are given opportunity..you need some sort of "excitement" or "stimulation" in your life or you get lazy...I think it is the same with fish.
It's like going to the gym for fish. Too little you get lazy and mope around and feel tired all the time, too much you burn out. Gotta find a happy medium for each individual.

None of mine tailbite (even though I only have 2 LF's though..the others (PK) can't reach theirs lol) and all seem perfectly happy being able to flare with a partner. After they finish they get their meals and then they swim off to do whatever it is they do all day.

I don't care how big of a tank or how many ornaments they have..everyone likes some attention and everyone likes something new (just staying in your own space day after day...must be like eating cornflakes and fat free milk all day, everyday for the rest of your life)...and I don't see anyone person spending 30 min to an hour at a time entertaining each of their fish (especially those who have 20+).

Kids like enteracting with other kids, (most) dogs like enteracting with other dogs...so that's how I view it. It stimulates a somewhat boring existance. You know they see each other in the wild...and I bet it's not just a glimpse either...and I doubt it stresses them into dying.

I do it in groups, like a teacher with 30+ kids. A little head pat here, a little head pat there. We say hi and on about the business of feeding, etc.

anywhere from 25 minutes to an hour is fine.

Wow that's harsh.

whats so harsh about that? what i find harsh is people letting their fish flare all day long. an hour is just 60 minutes (and like i said "anywhere from 25 minutes to an hour"). if that is the only time they see the other bettas and have a chance to exercise then there is nothing wrong with that. or is that too harsh? :rolleyes:

I don't really see the sense of intentionally flaring them.
:dunno:
you are depriving them of an excellent source of both physical and metal exercise, but to each their own. ;)

I really don't have to intentionally flare them. All of my bettas are kept within easy view of another male. If they want to flare, they do. If they want to stop, they have ample space to get away, or a cave to hide in. The three brothers from Synirr enjoy flaring and have little contests. My CTs are also enjoy a good flaring match as well. My VTs are a little more subdued, though Gunther likes to flare at my coffee mug. Go figure! Hunding will flare at anything, but I think he does this out of vanity. I think he can see his reflection in the aquarium glass. The glass is very clean and is covered by a black background. Fasolt was never a big flarer, but he's a very mellow betta. Sometimes, when I want to be entertained, I'll take out a compact mirror and see the display, but they're not under a strict regimen. My best flarers are Loge and Froh, the CTs, just because the flare makes them just glorious to look at. Next is Gunther with his long fins and delicate hues, and then Hunding, who for a plakat, has a beautiful flare display. I also enjoy Hunding's karate chops while he flares.

I'll stop rambling now.
:rolleyes:

you are depriving them of an excellent source of both physical and metal exercise, but to each their own.
To each thier own indeed :nod: I really have not observed what you are describing in my bettas; they hardly seem deprived to me. My boys and girls are some of the most active, inquisitive fish I've ever seen. They never stop moving, they are very responsive to thier environment, and they flare when the please without the stress of encountering another member of thier species. They also get plenty of exersize since my tanks are large and do have a current; they are all very strong, of a good body condition (not overweight, muscular, sturdy), and healthy. And, as I said, I've noticed that when my fish can see each other, they seem to get fin deterioration, possibly from the stress. My fin-biter also self mutilates if he can see other bettas. Perhaps because they are not plakats, and are just lousy pet store stock, they are a little more prone to stress than yours?

And SRC, while I respect your opinion, I really do not think that an agressive, anti-social fish species bred to have a heightened drive to fight in addition to thier own natural inclinations are at all comparable to social group animals such as humans and dogs. That, and the wild conditions bettas are in are VASTLY different than the captive ones. So again, I do not feel we can really compare them; chances are, a wild betta is much less exposed, not as agressive as our selectively bred captive counterparts, and are hardier and more used to stress then some VT petstore reject. However, I do think the rest of the post made some good points, and if your bettas are in conditions where they don't get a huge amount of exersize, the flaring could absolutely benefit them.

I am a little insulted (not by you personally) that people are suggesting that bettas who are not routinely flared are bored and lethargic, namely because you haven't seen our fish, so how can you fairly make that judgement? I said that my fish personally are stressed, so I could not see the point - for them. You guys have made some very good points which I respect, and I am sure it works well for your bettas, but I don't really appreciate being told I am maybe not a very good fish owning for not doing something that I personally have observed as stressful to my very content, very active, very healthy fish. :/

I think each fish owner has to determine what is best for his pets or stock. Random's fish are certainly a different group than mine. I am positive that Random is doing the best he knows to do for his fish. Some betta owners are more taken with the fighting instinct that others. Frankly I would be glad to see it bred out if we could keep the colors. I imagine that is part of what the international betta clubs are doing.

I find that many young males like the action and aggressive fish. And for them the attraction to betta is the Siameese fighting instinct. I personally am glad that my betta are not chewing on the tanks trying to get to each other for mayhem and slaughter.

He always runs around from the end of the tank to the other end whenever theres action in the room. Sometimes I turn the tank light when someone wants to see his full fins.

my two can see each other all day long although they only occasionally flare otherwise i would block there view, i'd say 15 min at the most a day, by there own choice

Mine can see each other and just flare every now and then. they seem happier being able to see each other :good:

I let my bettas flare 25min to an hour a day. Sometimes I forget about them because all I have to do is remove a small piece of paper in between their tanks to let them flare. One of my bettas however sometimes even flares at me, or even when I put my finger up against his tank.

At my LFS they are kept in barracks so can see each other and they flare constantly. A lot of shops do that because hey, it looks impressive and it may encourage people to buy the fish.

Mine gets to flare when I forget his tank light is on and I turn off the room lights - it causes enough reflection to set him off. I try to remember his light but on occasion someone else will turn off the room lights and he's been left flaring for hours...

Doesn't seem to cause him much harm. After all, its a natural behaviour.

I didn't vote as I never intentionally 'get' my betta to flare. I am of the understanding that it is stressful for the fish to keep flaring :unsure:

I usually only make 'em flare a few times a week.
If I do, it's about a few mins. long. LOL!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back