How Can You Discourage.........

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Well, this morning I saw something make you smile and warm your heart. :wub:

As usual, I was syphoning out some water so I can use the water to change the fry tanks. And I notice a dark egg on the root part of Java Fern. And I thought I missed the egg from few batch earlier. Anyway I try to pick it with my fingers. And just about my fingers reach to pick it, I notice something move. And I looked closely and I notice the egg have a tail.
And I know I can't pick it with my finger so I grabbed the pippet and suck it out. And put it to the cup and little later, this little guy hatched out from the egg and s/he skipped the egg tumbler and went straight to the wiggler fry container.

It just a timing that I catch it before totally hatch out. S/he might survive in the adult tank but I think s/he have better chance in the fry tank.
I mean I saw many eggs hatch and many eggs with tails before hatch but I never saw the egg in the process of hatching while it still attach to the object. In a way, this is how it must be in the Nature. It kind of make sense that they usually prefer to place the eggs in the place with nice water movement so the egg have less likely to collect any dust and less likely to fungus.,etc.

Also I found 2 more old eggs in the spawning mop and 3 new eggs in the Java Moss. 3 new eggs seems low number but I could not find anymore. Then again, some sneaky eggs have been known to hide. And hide they do. :shifty:

I found 40 eggs on 7/29(sun), 2 eggs 7/30(Mon), and 53 eggs! on 8/1(Tue).
I'm sure most were in the Java Moss.

I also saw something today. No eggs it seems but I saw one self surviving small fry about 1/2"TL and just about to show the adult coloring. :hyper: So I would say, a month or month and half old hopping when I was siphoning out the water and cleaning the sponge.

So I guess it is a good thing to have the thicket of Java Moss, after all. :good:
Obviously I still miss some eggs. :rolleyes:

Special little one! He does not want to go to the auction. He is a home body survivor.

Yeah, s/he must be one tough cookie. I just leave him/her alone.
I just kep collect the unhatched only.

I did find 13 eggs in the Java Moss this morning.
They do still hide but they do not run away. :shifty:

I did find 9 more eggs this morning. 5 on the front glass, 2 more in the back glass and 2 more in the Java Moss. And I did saw 2 egg mark on the glass so someone must be ate the eggs. :angry:
And I did look hard try to find the 10th egg but I couldn't.

This is something I never seen before. This morning I found 15 more eggs from Panda. No, no that is not surprise but I found 1 set of triplet! :hyper: They usually lay the egg singly or twins in once a while but never triplet until today.
BTW, she left 3 sets of twins also. And rest were singles. And as usual most were in the Java Moss and except the 4 on the back glass.

I knew I have some eggs this morning since I notice they were making them last night when I went to bed. I did watch for a while and I notice 1 female was holding the egg with her fins. And I also notice there is 1 another female that try to get the attention of the male. So it maybe 2 females made eggs last night.
Anyway, I found 10 on the front glass near the water movement and 8 in the Java Moss.

Geez, I guess I slacked off. Sorry about that. But I have been busy, getting new fish, changing water and re-setting tanks.,etc. Anyway.
I did collect 15 eggs on 8/15th, 16 on 19th, 17 on 20th, 9 on 21st.
And I still see 3 or 4 self raised 1/2" miniature Pandas in the tank with the 10 adults.
Eventually I need to catch them or move everybody to bigger tank or split the group but it would be tough to catch them right now. They are small but super quick and hate to be captured I am sure. So I just leave them alone for now.

Whew, I thought I broke my egg making factory. It has been so long but I found 16 eggs this morning. 1 on the glass and rest in the Java Moss.
I guess they quit sex for a week or so.

I guess they really liked the white wormy things fell off from the sky yesterday. :shifty: They left me some eggs this morning. I think this is the most I ever found in one day. There were 68 eggs! 12 on the front glass and rest were in the Java Moss.
Since I didn't get any eggs from them for a week, I figure they need some tasty treat. So I let it have some worms yesterday. And they reward me with so many eggs.

Now if I can only persuade my C.Duplicareus and Orange Laser to do the same. -_-

I guess they REALLY liked those white stringy things. :rolleyes: This morning I thought I missed some eggs from yesterday harvest when I saw a egg in the Java Moss. But there are more than few and I knew they spawned again.
There were 40 more eggs total. 3 on the leaves of Java Fern and the rest were in the Java Moss.

I was pretty excited this morning. :hyper: Since I knew I should have some eggs because I saw the female were carrying egg last night before I went to bed.
It has been almost a month without any eggs.

Anyway, I found 30 eggs, 5 on the front glass near the water from the outlet and rest were in the Java Moss.

Hopefully they are back to their egg making business again.
I did find 35 eggs this morning. About 5 on the glass 3 on the driftwood, 2 on the sponge of the filter, rest were in the Java Moss. It nice to see some eggs again. :good:

I did collect 32 eggs yesterday morning. About 5 in the spawning mop and rest in the Moss.
And last night before I went to bed, I noticed there are several eggs on the front glass and it seems 3 fish is tangled up. Apparently, one of the boy become matured and challenging to the old man. So now monopoly of his service maybe over. I watched for a while that 2 males chase and court the female. And I must say the pursuit become more harder chased and it can be rougher at time. I think the competition is good thing but I am not so sure about competition between the son and the father since I do not want the too much inbreeding.
I may have to buy some new fish from store. It happened that last time I was at one of the store had good sized adult Panda for $5.99. And they are about 1 1/2" instead of 1/2" to 3/4 " I usually see at the store. Although they seemed they just got to the store, so it probably better to wait for a while anyway. But I probably go back in a week or 2 and get some for new bloodline.

Most reactions

Back