How Can You Discourage.........

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

NEONCORY

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I could use some idea(s). I believe my Panda start to re-cycle their eggs. :crazy: And I need the idea(s) to discourage to do so.
I had this Panda corys only tank set up. There are 4 adult which I believe 3 females and a single male. 1 Female is always fat and big and another one don't get fat much (As a matter of fact I saw she make empty egg basket more than few occation) and last female is I think runt since she is smaller and hasn't grown much. They have been in 5 gallon tank by themself for few month. Fed well and start to produce 20 eggs or so weekly. I used to see them form T at night 1 hour or so before the light goes out. And when I get up in the next morning, there are eggs on the glass and I collect them and hatch them in the separate container and grow them up. Heck, I dropped some eggs or missed some eggs which hatched and survived. So I start to see few babies in the tank recently. Since I saw that and they are actually doing better than the frys only tank, I start to reintroduce few weeks old to the parents tank.
And last week one night I saw them form T at night and went to bed. There were only 1~2 eggs in the morning. With some egg sticky marks on the glass. :angry: That didn't make me happy. So I start to think about the prevention. I did put more Java Ferns and Moss. Although I did find most of the eggs on the glass if not all, I did found few on the leaf of the Java Fern and even less time on the Moss. But I figure more crowdy it gets, less chance for them to find the eggs, I hope. Also, I have been feeding more than ever, so they won't be hungry and less incline to eat eggs. I don't think I got eggs since then. But I am thinking do some water change today and almost always they lay eggs after that. And if I see any sign of egg eating today, tomorrow.
Here is what I am planning to do.
1) I may move fat female and a male to their own tank. Since almost always she is the one produced eggs. And I am quite sure which one had eaten the eggs but less fish should be better for the safety of eggs.
Last few days, this question also came to my mind. "How smart is the Corydoras? I mean, is it possible they start to eat eggs because there are more fish than before. Because there are more frys in the same tank now that their instinct tell them not to make more offsprings? What do you thinks folks?
Anyway, I'll give them 1 more chance. And I'll move main couple to the other tank, I think. Unless someone have a good idea(s).

Since nobody post me the idea and they were sticking some eggs last night. I stayed up and wait for them to finish. And as soon as they looked finished, I collected the eggs instead of collct the eggs in the next morning. I found only 7 and found 1 more in the morning.(I must have missed 1) I used to get around 20 eggs from the same female. I suppose 7~8 eggs are better than no eggs.
I still thinking to move the other 2 fish which they almost never involve in the egg making to the other tank. The tank I keep most of the earlier frys. I am hoping this would solve 2 things.
1. If they are the one eating eggs, they won't have chance to do so. However I am screwed if the parents are the one eating.
2. I found that frys seem to grow with less trouble when they kept with the adult(s). I think it maybe because they eat more and quicker than frys that there are less chance of overfeeding and foul the water. I did lost few frys in the frys only tank.

2 days ago, I did big water change. And sure enough, they start to make some eggs however they start @ midnight. I tried to stay up and wait for them to finish. At 2 a.m. they are still working so I gave up and went to bed.
So next morning, I went look for the eggs. I found 8 eggs in among the Java/X'mas moss. But none was on the tank glass. Which makes me wonder if they ate some eggs. Since she used to put majority of eggs on the glass also I used to get around 20. So I am not sure.
I guess for now all I can do is collect the eggs as soon as possible and feed he parents as much as possible. Of course, I have to do water change more than ever to keep the water quality high.
Oh, someone on other forum suggest me to use the spawning mop. I should try that since he/she swear by it.

p.s. Yesterday I found 2 eggs which I missed. However, the 1 of them is much darker that almost ready to hatch. Which I know it was layed previous spawning day. The 4~5 days ago. Which makes me think that they do not eat all the eggs. Because I know they would go every part of tank and clean if you gave them enough time. And I think 1 day is well enough time for them to do that, let alone the 4~5days IMO.
I'll keep eyes on them every night, especially after the water change.
p.p.s. I am still looking for any suggestions or ideas. :good: Thanks

No suggestions but keep the thread going it is most interesting. :nod: :good: I want to spend some time reading it again later.

Well I found them eggs this morning. I managed to find 12 however 2 were really dark. And I know they are the older batch I missed harvesting. So I know they survived 3~4 days(at least since the tank is kept cooler it takes long time to hatch) from parents and all the small ramshorn snails. Which I try to turkey buster out everyday.
Anyway, she placed the eggs in the moss and none on the glass. And I did not find the eggs in the spawning mop either which I float it with a piece of cork. Also they made eggs so late that I didn't even see her carring egg last night. So they did it in the dark again.
So frankly, I don't know they are eating any egg or not now. But I will collect as soon as possible and feed as much as they can eat and do water change as often as possible to maintain the quality of water.

P.S. I saw this tiny guy(which is probably 1 1/2 mo old), about 1/2" long less than 1/4" width try to join swimming with parents. When the Pa try to chase Mom around. That was a cutest thing. :wub: Too bad I don't have good camera to take picture with.

I did found 18 eggs this morning. :hyper: 14 in the moss, 2 on the Java Fern and 2 more in the spawning mop. So I think the egg eating have been subsided.
So I am hoping feeding heavier and crowding the tank with more plants did the trick. But I guess I won't know for sure. I just hope I can keep collecting eggs. So I can grow them to the hopping miniture Panda Corys. :wub:

I did found 15 more eggs this morning. 2 on the glass and 13 on the Java Fern and none on the Java Moss I know of. And I noticed that the majority of the eggs are placed near the outlet of the power head, not directly but near. And that is where Java Ferns are and Java Moss was far away from the water movement. I usually have another HOB and it's outlet is facing to Java Moss. However, it was not working this morning, I guess after I mess it around yesterday it never re-start.
But it end up give me some interesting theory that my Cory seems to prefer to place the eggs near the outlet of the filter where there are some water movement. She didn't place the eggs in the middle of the current but the place have some water movement. That is why they were on the Java Fern and not in the Java Moss where there were not much water movement yesterday to this morning.
In a way it totally makes sense. After all some parents fish fan the eggs. And we know we need to put some air when we try to hatch the Cory eggs in separate container.
Anyway, I thought this may interest you with Cory owners out there. :look:

I found 18 more eggs this morning. 2 in spawning mop, 2 in Java Fern and 14 in Java Moss. This is after I put back the original 2 unproductive females since they were not happy in the other tank. Also they become chunkier. Anyway, and I notice that they are much happier with 4 than 2. Hopefully, I can grow enough males and get at least even ratio or 2 to 1 favor of males.
And best of all, I don't see the evidence of egg eating. My God.
So I just keep feeding well and collect eggs as soon as possible.
Also, I am happy that my Neon Tetra frys are free swimming now. :hyper:

I collected 20 more eggs from Panda Corys. 10 in Spawning mop and 10 in Java/X'mas moss. She used the spawning mop because I moved it closer to water outlet from the power head. That is my guess. Since there were more eggs in there than ever before.
I wonder how many juvi's can fit in the 5G tank with 4 adults I have in there. I probably set another tank and move the adults since it is easier to move adults than all the young frys. But I see more of them hopping around. They seem to show themself more, bigger they get. I see quite a few 1/2" TL 1/4" H little guys. Some even try to join the group swimming at night with adults. :blush:

I guess the male convinced one of his mistress to do it yesterday. :look: Because I saw a egg on the spawning mop and look for more and 5 eggs total. 1or 2 I might have missed it but 5. Especially after I combed the spawning mop yesterday. And I know his wife never go for 2 days in a row. She put up with him every 3~4 days. Not to mention, she produce much high number.
Maybe, tonight he'll try the other mistress. :hey:

It's been a while but I got 19 more eggs yesterday morning. 8 in spawning mop and 10 in Java/X'mas moss and lonely egg on the glass. And I see more and more off spring hoping around with the parents. They are from couple weeks old to 3 months old. It makes me wonder if it is getting crowdy. Since it would be really tough to catch all the little ones, I am thinking to set another tank and move the parents. And they can multiply in there. :good:
Yeah, that I should do. Maybe this weekend.

It's been a while but I got 19 more eggs yesterday morning. 8 in spawning mop and 10 in Java/X'mas moss and lonely egg on the glass. And I see more and more off spring hoping around with the parents. They are from couple weeks old to 3 months old. It makes me wonder if it is getting crowdy. Since it would be really tough to catch all the little ones, I am thinking to set another tank and move the parents. And they can multiply in there. :good:
Yeah, that I should do. Maybe this weekend.
Fascinating reading, it seems to be going really well for you.

I'm sorry, but I still have only skimmed your thread :blush: And I do want to spend some time to read it carefully! I will try to remember to do that at work next week.

I see you have solved the egg eating problem. HAHA!!!! I really must check this thread out carefully!

How many fry do you have, and what are your plans for them? I am sure the answer is in your thread, but I will not read it today. Hopefully it will not disappear by Sunday or Monday night. (Our network is constantly up and down, so sometimes I can't stay on the net long enough to keep up with the goings on and have to rush!)

Oh I see in your last post! You are getting them to multiply in the tank with the parents, I really must get a mop and read your thread!

I believe it is recommended with some species to keep the females at just 1 or 2 in a tank with multiple males. I understand that it is the females that control the breeding cycle by releasing hormones that stimulate the breeding cycle. When females are eggy they lay eggs with or without a male.

Fascinating reading, it seems to be going really well for you.
Hi lmbridgen,
Yes, I guess you can say that. Since I still get eggs every 4~5days. And they seem not eating the eggs anymore. And their young ones hopping around more.
Of course, now I need to find the perfect tankmate for them. Preferablly mid surface dwellers. Otherwise, I will have all the tank with Panda corys only. I will always have 1 or 2 of those. It just that I found that they do really well in the unheated cooler tank with pretty good water movement. I know some danio might fit the bill. But I sort of prefer the Tetras.
Anyway, I just try to tell whoever want to keep the Panda Corys that they would appreciate and be happier if you keep them in the cooler temperature and more water movement and higher oxygen than regular community tank.
Quite often people say that Panda is not hardy...but I suspect more than often that they are forced to live in less than optimal condition. Higher water temperature means less oxygen and I read that they are originally came from base of river near the high mountain. And they sure look happier in colder water with good water movement.

I'm sorry, but I still have only skimmed your thread :blush: And I do want to spend some time to read it carefully! I will try to remember to do that at work next week.

I see you have solved the egg eating problem. HAHA!!!! I really must check this thread out carefully!

How many fry do you have, and what are your plans for them? I am sure the answer is in your thread, but I will not read it today. Hopefully it will not disappear by Sunday or Monday night. (Our network is constantly up and down, so sometimes I can't stay on the net long enough to keep up with the goings on and have to rush!)

Oh I see in your last post! You are getting them to multiply in the tank with the parents, I really must get a mop and read your thread!

I believe it is recommended with some species to keep the females at just 1 or 2 in a tank with multiple males. I understand that it is the females that control the breeding cycle by releasing hormones that stimulate the breeding cycle. When females are eggy they lay eggs with or without a male.

Hi jollysue,
I don't know I solved the egg eating problem but it seems they are not eating eggs recently. My God. See I made the deal with them. "I'll feed you as much and often as you like and more. Just leave them eggs alone. And I'll collect them as soon as possible. Usually first thing in the morning since you like to do it at night." So I think we have some understanding now. :lol:
I think there must be 40~50 frys in the tank although I never be sure since half the tank is moss jungle also 1/4 of bottom have driftwood and I can't see well. I am planning to keep a dozen or so. Maybe 2 dozen. Rest of them, I'll take them to the local aquarium society(they happen to have big auction in April which would be enough time for them to grow). If they are more, I'll take them to local shop for credit.
I know if not all but most of Corys would be better breed in ratio of 2~3 males to a female. However I just happened to end up with 1 male and 3 females(wife and 2 mistress). I bought 6 but 2 didn't make it. And I'm sure the male doesn't mind the situation. He works hard to convince the ladies. :lol:

Most reactions

Back